1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2013 The Year of Promise

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, Jan 3, 2013.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I posted a thread back in December asking what you were taking away from 2012, what you were proud of, what you were ashamed of, general memorable moments, etc. I left it kind of open and I was really happy with the responses. I'm wondering if anyone has any big goals for 2013. Any big brew projects, aspirations, gear you are going to buy in the next year? Where will you be by the end of 2013?

As for me, I'm getting my roommate into the obsession. I'm not sure if it's because he really wants to make beer or if he just feels bad that he drinks a lot of the stuff that I brew. Either way I'm excited.

I also hope to get a Ward lab water profile. I've been diluting tap water with RO, but generally guessing blindly at what I need for a water profile.

I want to enter my first competition and get some judgmental feedback on a beer that I know I'm proud of. I'll start early, make sure I set beers aside for this, and enter early.

I'll take a gravity reading for at least one of these beers. I really am getting lazy about this.

So, hopefully this will spark some good conversation and some new threads in the next couple of weeks. I'm getting kind of burned out on the "Is it ok to bottle?" and "how to oak" questions.

2. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

My big hope/dream is to get more people interested in brewing. Beer is a social drink, it brings people together, it helps selfish people share, etc., and beer culture/history are one of my favorite aspects of beer. I've had a few guys ask me to teach them to brew but their goal is to brew something they can get drunk fast with-to them I suggest cheap vodka. I love brewing, to me it's the epitome of beer love and I want to find some people who will share my love of all things beer related.
    On a more mundane level I want to re-enter a beer I entered in my first and only competition last year. My Belgian Ball Buster got a decent score(39.5) in the Bluebonnet comp in Texas, but the judges said it needed aging, it was too "hot' Well now that keg is a year older, it should be more balanced.

3. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

I guess a RIMS or HERMS set up would be the only addition that may happen in 2013 but I might wait a bit longer on it. I'm getting an itch for a barrel and wild ales but I might hold off on that a while too. What I definitely will do is try to make a conscious effort to spend 1/2 of 2013 exploring new territory, and 1/2 actually trying to dial in previously brewed recipes and/or styles. I really want to lock in some "house beers" that will be repeated rotationally. I'll also be putting my hop rocket into service which definitely didn't happen enough in 2012. Also about to start testing a hop selection / recipe technique mentioned on the Mad Fermentationist's blog based on hop oil concentrations.

4. if i can come away from this year with a repertoire of like five or six beers i love and can replicate perfectly, it will have been a success. i still haven't done enough recipes to know exactly what they are yet, but i know i want a dipa, a cal common, a sweet stout (for my nitro tap), some sort of lighter wheat beer, and a rye p.a.

5. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Big Brew Projects: Cabernet BA Flanders Red v1 bottling (Mid Jan), Brew Cabernet BA Flanders Red v2 (Feb), Cabernet BA Lambic v2 (May), Bourbon Barrel RIS (May), Bourbon Barleywine (June).

Gear: Familiarize myself with my new plate chiller & Recirculation arm. Drill & setup recirculation ball valve, tubing and fittings in kettle lid(s), mount & setup piping for Hop Back & Whirlpool setup to work with new plate chiller, build a tool box enclosure for my second march pump, buy a new 15-20 gallon mash tun from Stout tanks with a bottom outlet.

Aspirations: Collaborate with some great brewers on some BA projects or blending experiments. Brew a great milk stout (v4.0), RIS (v5.0) & American Red Ale (v4.0), refine some solid recipes for Wits, Hefes, APAs & IPAs (Doing some controlled water chemistry experiments in the process), try my hand at brewing a Mild, Bitter, Southern English Brown, Imperial Red Ale (w/ Rye) and an Oatmeal Stout, and to brew a palatable Saison (First attempt wasn't pretty; way too dry, FG 0.992). Brew a batch with professional brewers.

inchrisin likes this.
  6. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I think my big goal for the year is consistency, which means not changing stuff and buying more equipment. If I do buy anything new, it'll be a pH meter or a second pump (but pump #1 just arrived for xmas, so first I need to figure out exactly how I'll use it and if I really need two). Ultimately, I expect to go down the road of RIMS or HERMS and a controller, but I don't know if it'll happen this year.

Also, I want to make sure to finish my homebrewing projects. My keezer and fermentation chamber are both operational, but not quite 100% done. I need to work on finishing that last 5% of the projects before getting distracted with the next one.

7. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (415) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

I'm definitely wading out into water chemistry this year. I think I'm making great beer, but nailing the water is the next step to elevating my beer.

I could possibly see a pump in my future.

8. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (440) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

More IPAs, Hoppy Pales, and Sours. No new equipment or projects. I have a freezer full of hops, a tote full of grains and a closet full of sours. Starting with a Half Acre Daisy Cutter Clone (v2) That I hope to dial in as my house beer.

9. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Life will be up in the air at the end of the summer, so I'm just looking to do a lot of brewing of the beers I like to drink: various porters, various golden to amber hoppy ales, and various saisons in the warmer months. Ask me again in 2014 when I might be settled down in one spot for a bit.

10. joshrosborne

joshrosborne Savant (290) Michigan Jun 14, 2010

I'm hoping to get a fermentation chamber set up in the next few months, provided I can find a chest freezer that fits through my cellar door frame.

Also, this will mark my first full year of consistently brewing, so I'm going to try to brew something new every month to find some keepers. Finally, I'm going to try to brew two more sours before June (in addition to two p-lambics from last summer) so I can try to have a sour bottled on a quarterly-ish schedule.

I'll be bottling a mango sour in the next month I started last January before I knew what I was doing. It seems kind of a mess (acetic from high temps during the summer), but I suppose we'll see...

11. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (385) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I want to bottle and age the bigger beers I brew instead of kegging and drinking the whole thing down.

Aim high;)!

12. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

My hope is that we get the "brewhouse" built by summer. It's going to be a special addition to the back of an existing shed that will include a room dedicated to brewing. We're going to fire-proof it, ventilate it, have water and drainage and a sink, electricity, TWO freezer chests w/controllers, and a gravity (then later, pump) fed brewing setup. We're about to start building the floor and "secret escape hatch" that gives us a secret passage into the "valley" below. My brother and me are both good carpenters, so we're just in the process of collecting all the wood and other materials we need. Construction may start as soon as "in the next few weeks."

koopa and NiceFly like this.
  13. My hope is to GET STARTED!!! Thanks for all the posts. Wouldn't have confidence without everyone who contributes here (and Palmer's book :) )

14. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

Barrel Aged Beers: I have (2) 20L oak barrels, one from a distillery and one brand new, after I run a few bitters through the new barrel like Firestone DBA I plan to soak some type of Booze (Apple Brandy, Whisky, or Cognac) for a few months and have a mini barrel aging program. I will be buying some smaller Barrels for a wild program to then experiment with blending and maybe a solera project. I love the barrel aspect of brewing so this will get a lot of my budget and time this year. I have an empty room in the house that I want to turn into a barrel room, but that might be a stretch.
    Yeast: I am really going to focus more on yeast health, a stir plate and an O2 system are in the future for me.
    Schedule: Most of my beers are given to friends or family, and in general a great lot of them are made for birthdays and my now annual Christmas day sampler 6 pack. I have built a schedule so that I know exactly when I need to brew each batch so I am not in any type of hurry to finish a beer so I can have it ready on a special date. This will help me create better beers, with less stress concidering at least 3 or 4 of these batches will be lagers ( 2 Pils, 1 Rauchbier, and an American Light Lager).

15. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Savant (360) Connecticut Jan 14, 2009

Make as much beer as I can carve out time for after taking care of my family and settling into a new job.

16. Going pro.

koopa likes this.
  17. after reading all of these goals and plans for 2013 I have personally decided that this website needs a homebrewer store. think alcoholic etsy. I want to get my hands on some of your one of a kind brews damnit! You guys got me pumped. Now if only I had the time and skill/knowledge like all of you to make some good beer in my closet haha. Good luck to all of you this year! Feel free to take my liquid etsy idea and run with it! haha

pointyskull likes this.
  18. Goal: take the leap to AG.... :eek:

19. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

If only it weren't for those pesky liquor licensing laws...

20. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

My biggest goal (especially as I have only been brewing for a few months now) is to try and critically evaluate the "standards of practice," and try and determine what standard practices are worthwhile and what may not be worthwhile in terms of cost or time. I would also like to learn more about the chemical and biologic processes that occur during brewing and fermentation. I am currently working towards a pharmacology/toxicology degree and I find that there is a lot of crossover in terms of background knowledge, so it would be cool to apply that to brewing.

21. haha valid point... a guy can dream can't he!?

mountsnow1010 likes this.
  22. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Started brewing in late June and wanted to complete 20 batches in my first year. I have 7 batches left to brew by July to complete this goal. I have brewed all sorts of styles so far to go along with the seasons. I think I am going to concentrate on one style for awhile and try to get some solid recipes down that are worth duplicating. I also want to tighten up my process and cut a little time off brew day. I plan to purchase another kettle so I can start my 2nd batch while I chill my 1st. Also got my brother set up with some equipment for christmas so I want to help him get up and running. Good luck to everyone this year.

inchrisin likes this.
  23. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (440) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

BIAB is an easy and cheap way to get started with AG. BIAB helps to get you used to the process of mashing before committing equitpment/space/money on AG. If you'd rather just jump into there are some nice Mash Tun plans on this site recently (in other threads).

24. inchrisin

25. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

No big brew projects. Small is still beautiful.
    Not looking to buy any gear.

Apply Bru'nWater recommendations to me well water...then track and analyze changes using 'statistical process control' techniques.
    Brew more batches of raspberry wheat.
    Comandeer more freezer space for hops.

26. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (545) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Hope to get into kegging this year, at least my IPAs to get the freshest and hoppiest beer I can, as well as lagers so I can lager under pressure. I got a pump and new IC w/ whirlpool arm that will make for some great hoppy beers. I also hope to get a solera project started for more sours. Hoping to convert a 1/2 barrel keg into a fermenter for this.

27. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

I think a "yeast samples" forum would be suitable.

28. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Pretty much all the upgrades I want to make either require equipment that would be a bitch to fit into my small third floor apartment, or I can't do. I already have four batches of various size going at once as it is. Kegging, definite temp control, sours, and outdoor brewing will have to wait, especially with a possible move at the end of the summer. Using up 10# of hops this year will be the challenge.

29. inchrisin

The best thing you could look into is a Beer it Forward on BA. It should help you find some people who are interested in trading some homebrew. You could also trade for local commercial stuff to sweeten the pot.

4kbrianb likes this.
  30. Hoping to start using full size (30-55 gal) Wine barrels for my Lambic. Right now the only issue is sourcing them. Other then that. Just hope to continue doing what I love the most. Brewing great Beer!

31. I've just started to brew, as in I put my first batch in the fermenter a week ago. So my goal is to develop a process and method of brewing that I am comfortable with and eventually design and tweak my own recipes. I would like to repeat a few of my original batches to see how my techniques have improved over the year. Overall, I'm very excited.

32. that's not a horrible idea at all! Thanks for that.

33. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I often make 10 gallon batches, keg 5 gallons and bottle the other half. Bottled beer definitely stays around longer and makes better gifts. Also, it's interesting to drink side by side during the brief time that both versions are ready to drink and available.

For 2013, I want to:

Get a corker and start doing my Belgians right.
    Replace my dead chest freezer so I can do lagers again.
    Carve some dedicated brewing space out of my messy household (dreaming big here...).

inchrisin likes this.
  34. inchrisin

I've got a kegerator that needs replaced. It's time to remove that and a dead chest freezer from the basement and get a new keezer. My back hurts just thinking about it. Maybe I'll count my steps into the basement to talk myself out of it.