1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2014 NHC to be in Grand Rapids

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JonathanL7890, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JonathanL7890

JonathanL7890 Savant (325) Texas Dec 1, 2007

2. Known this for some time. Contracts are signed and it is a go.

3. MrOH

MrOH Savant (465) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Awesome, get to go to 2013 in Philly (where I live) and in 2014 (where I used to live and swmbo is from) and not pay for a hotel.

4. drewbage

drewbage Advocate (675) California Mar 15, 2003

Anyone want to know where 2015 is? :)

Actually, last time I checked - we still don't have a contract for 2015.

5. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

Somewhere in the South, please?!

6. Not a done deal until there is a contract.

I know some working on a bid. Not saying though, Drew.

7. drewbage

I'm rather kidding with folks. We talk about it every month on the AHA Governing Committee. I think at the moment there's a handful of places that are working on it and we're trying to encourage more. The biggest issue is now just the size of the thing.

8. It has become huge. 3500 for GR!

spointon likes this.
  9. drewbage

Mind boggling ain't it? I helped organize the 2001 conference here in LA and we were mighty chuffed that we had nearly 300! Every since 2006 we've been on a growth trend as much as we can. Obviously, we had about 100 less this year in Seattle than SD, but that was because of facility and not demand.

Next year in Philly should be nutty big since it's been since '08 Cincy that we've been near the East Coast, so get on yer tickets immediately, if you're wanting to go.

10. Already planned. I will be getting the conf. tickets while the wife books the hotel. It won't last long with the pent up demand on the East Coast.

11. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

Does anyone know where NHC will be held in 2015?

12. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

Wow...

I'm sure as soon as someone knows it will be posted. Considering this is from early December of last year, I suspect we may find out next month?

13. Often the next year's conference is announced at the NHC. It is up to the AHA when to announce. If there are some things not all tied up, and signed off on, it will not be announced as it is not a done deal until then.

Edit - adds to the excitement at the GR 2014 NHC. Register, get the program, and go to the back to find the page with next year's info.

14. epk

I was at the Philly one, I heard the announcement, but I also already knew it was in Grand Rapids... This post was made months before the Philly NHC was held. So it could be much sooner I would guess. Or like you said, anywhere up to and actually at the NHC itself.

15. drewbage

All depends on when the contracts happen for obvious reasons.

16. As Drew says, it is the contracts that dictate the releases. Some years you only know one year in advance. In Minneapolis they announced San Diego for 2011, and the program said Seattle 2012. Watch for AHA press releases, or other media releases. I have been to 8 NHCs, so sometimes you know 2 years in advance, some years only one year before hand.

17. epk

I get it. I was really more surprised someone was asking about 2015, hence the "wow", but felt inclined to give some sort of answer.

18. drewbage

I love that the level of anticipation for the conference is running high these days. It was about 11 years ago that the conference only had ~200 attendees!

19. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Where the hell is Grand Rapids? Do they have beer there?

alanforbeer likes this.
  20. It is a city near the West Coast - of Michigan. I hear they have one or 2 breweries in the area. ;)

rocdoc1 likes this.
  21. Anyone know when registration for 2014 starts? The AHA website says Feb 5, but all the other info on there is still from Philly...

22. You will have to check the page and be on the look out for an announcement when it goes live. The conf. Is earlier this year, so the registration might be earlier.