2014 NHC

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by OddNotion, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OddNotion

OddNotion Pooh-Bah (1,853) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

I just received confirmation today that I will be able to enter 4 beers into the National Homebrew Competition. I will be judged at the NYC judging center. I will be entering:

1. 14C Imperial IPA
    2. 19A Old Ale
    3. Still Deciding, either a Smoked Oaked Dark Mild in 22B or a Milk Stout in 13B
    4. 25C Other Fruit Melomel - Cranberry Cyser

Anyone else find out yet if they will be able to submit entries?

InVinoVeritas likes this.
  2. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Wisconsin

I'm not entering, just hopeful to attend Grand Rapids, MI. Best of luck; maybe one of these days I'll be entering as well.

3. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

They are still letting people know. Max of 4 entries. They are sending out one first round site every hour or two so that the registration servers don't crash.

Demand was way up this year. 4 entry limit allowed 93% in, 7 % or about 250 people did not get picked.

You need to pay within 3 days, or those entries go to those not picked by the lottery.

You will get an automatic entry if you work a judging site. The bottle neck is the amount of judges and stewards.

Yeah, I got 4. Could not judge last year due to family commitments. I am judging this year,well because. :slight_smile:

OddNotion likes this.
  4. hopfenunmaltz

Pooh-Bah Society

Registration for that is lottery also. Good luck!

InVinoVeritas likes this.
  5. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

Where is the info on judging? Do you mean they need more or have too many offers to judge?

6. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

"They are sending out one first round site every hour or two so that the registration servers don't crash."

Sacramento's server already crashed (on me)

7. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

I know I've got 4; I assume my confirmation will show up tomorrow.
    mead/cider did well last year but only 1/5 beers advanced. And it was the worst of the bunch, heh!

going to be some tough choices in the next month. Am sending many possible entries to other comps first to try to narrow it down.

good luck to everyone who got in!
    --Michael

8. hopfenunmaltz

Pooh-Bah Society

If you want to judge, they have the judging centers, and contacts on the competition page. See the entry shipping. If you get entries you can sign up then.
    http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...homebrew-competition/competition-information/

The bottle neck is that there are enough judges to have 12 regions, at 750 entries/region there are 9000 possible entries. There is one more region this year.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  9. DrewBeechum

DrewBeechum Pooh-Bah (1,880) Mar 15, 2003 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hmm.. I just got off our monthly GC call earlier tonight and there was no mention of any of the server's taking a nose dive. Hopefully you sent in an email because they did a metric assload of testing this year.

Secondary bottle neck is also the number of judges to judge at the Conference itself. That's another thing that holds back additional regions (not to mention the added expense). Each new region is another 3 entries in the second round!

10. hopfenunmaltz

Pooh-Bah Society

There was some talk about problems with certain web brewsers, IE 11 for one. I used Chrome, no problems.

11. epic1856

epic1856 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2006 California

So did the AHA switch the rules last minute to only allow 4 entries? I though the max was 6? Or is it one of those things that you are allowed to submit up to 6, but at most that will be accepted is 4 per brewer?

http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...l-homebrew-competition/rules-and-regulations/

12. DrewBeechum

DrewBeechum Pooh-Bah (1,880) Mar 15, 2003 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Reading on in that same link:

13. chodog

chodog Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2010 California

I got 4 entries, but I got St Paul as my judging center. Hopefully it wont be freezing weather when I have to ship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.