2016 Central Oregon Beer Week

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by sharpski, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpski

sharpski Pooh-Bah (2,806) Oct 11, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

May 20-29 is the 2016 incarnation of Central Oregon Beer Week, including favorites like the SMaSH Fest and Broken Top Bottle Shop's Brews & Bands, plus educational presentations, a block party from Crow's Feet Commons and Bend Brewing, a new beer release from Ale Apothecary, and much more. As winners of the 2015 SMaSH Fest People's Choice award, Sunriver Brewing is again brewing the official COBW beer. As one of the producers of this event, I hope you'll join us for 10 days of the best beer Central Oregon has to offer!

2. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

Good timing.

sharpski and PortlandAlePatrol like this.
  3. PortlandAlePatrol

PortlandAlePatrol Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2014 Oregon

It is great timing!
    We will be around La Pine area for hikes/camping & might stay in Bend for one night on 20th!

sharpski and BBThunderbolt like this.
  4. sharpski

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Late addition to the calendar: Jack Harris of Fort George will be at Crows Feet Commons on 5/26 to give his "My Beer Doesn't Taste Like IBUs" presentation. I want to have more informative/educational components to our beer week, and I'm super grateful to Jack for traveling over to do this.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  5. sharpski

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Brewers have total freedom over the choice of ingredients for the SMaSH Fest beers, so I think it's pretty amazing that there's so little overlap in hop choices.

21 beers at the fest, 19 different hop varieties: Northern Brewer, Mt. Hood, Saaz, Azacca, Experimental #682, Experimental #09326, Sterling, Lemondrop, Amarillo, Jarrylo, Idaho 7, Hallertau, Simcoe, Pekko, Citra, Cashmere, Huell Melon, Mandarina Bavaria, CTZ. Saaz and Citra are the only duplicates; nobody chose Mosaic this year.

Style-wise, IPAs, Pales, and Pilsners rule the roster as you might expect, but we have a California Common and even a sour ale this year. I think BBC's Razz Tafari sour ale is also the first beer in our fest to use adjuncts. I'm looking forward to the "hop profile clinic" afforded by these beers, but I predict the sour will be a welcome break in between.

6. beefandbean22

beefandbean22 Pundit (820) Oct 15, 2008 Oregon
    Trader

Anywhere I could pick up the AA Minotaur today in Bend?

7. sharpski

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You might try calling Paul directly. It hasn't been distributed it yet, but he may sell you one from his joint by GoodLife. Another release party is scheduled for Thursday at Crows Feet if you're still in town.

8. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Is the AA space in town ever open to the public?

9. sharpski

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No regular hours AFAIK, just by appointment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.