1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

21 or older to view brewery websites

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Eriktheipaman, Apr 1, 2013.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

2. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Guideline 2, bullet 3:
    "Brewers should require disclosure of a viewer’s date of birth at the entry to their websites indicating that a brewers’ products are intended only for those of legal drinking age."

That actually seems kinda vague, since it doesn't specify a format for the disclosure. If you "disclose" your age by simply clicking "I'm over 21", that should be good enough. You've "disclosed" that you're old enough. Anything else is a waste of time, money, and effort to code something that makes you input an day/month/year.

3. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (600) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

And the FTC's policies sort of touch on it:

Online Advertising
    The Internet presents a special challenge for industry members in their efforts to prevent alcohol advertising and marketing to minors. Children under 18 represent a large and rapidly growing segment of the online community. One recent survey reported 18.5 million children online, including 9.5 million teens between 13 and 17.(63)
    Most industry members comply with the provisions of the two codes (Beer and Spirits) that govern online alcohol advertising. A Commission staff review of 30 industry web sites revealed that most (24) post the age reminders required by the codes.(64) The Beer Institute and DISCUS also provide the web site addresses of their members to companies that produce parental control software, and many major Internet Service Providers (ISP's) -- AOL, ATT WorldNet, Bell Atlantic, Prodigy, and CompuServe -- offer filtering programs to parents that can block access to commercial alcohol web sites.(65) Currently, however, only one-third of parents use filtering software.(66)
    There are, of course, no foolproof measures to prevent underage access to inappropriate web sites. Companies therefore need to give special attention not only to restricting access, but to ensuring that web site content is not attractive to underage consumers. Many alcohol web sites feature one or more promotional techniques -- contests, games, cartoon and cartoon-like characters, chat rooms and bulletin boards -- that underage visitors may find attractive and that alcohol companies generally do not use in other forms of advertising.(67)
    Best Practices: Some alcohol companies have taken extra steps in an attempt to address concerns about underage use of online alcohol sites. First, after the industry modified its codes, several companies eliminated or reduced web site content that underage consumers might have found attractive. For example, they dropped bulletin boards and/or chat rooms, often after inappropriate messages were posted.
    Second, several companies make efforts to restrict underage access. Five of the 30 sites reviewed by the Commission staff seek to block younger consumers by requiring visitors to enter their age and denying access to those who enter an age under 21.(68) One company reported that nearly 10,000 visitors received a "virtual bounce" from its web site after entering an age under 21. Another company plans to ask for age information at various places on its web site and deny access to anyone who does not enter the same age each time.
    Finally, a few sites supplement their beverage promotional efforts with messages discouraging underage and irresponsible drinking. These sites include many of the same materials that the industry members use in their responsibility campaigns (see Appendix C), as well as links to other web sites that carry messages about responsible drinking.

http://www.ftc.gov/reports/alcohol/alcoholreport.shtm#bOnline Advertising

I hate it. It's so annoying.

4. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

lol'd.
    I question He-Man's sexual preference w/that outfit........:D

Cheers

5. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (590) Washington Apr 30, 2008

surely no one ever lies on the internet!

Dennoman likes this.
  6. It's pretty dumb. Beer commercials on tv don't start out by asking anyone under 21 to leave the room.

7. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (590) Washington Apr 30, 2008

but they never actually DRINK it in the commercials. Kids don't know what it's for/how it works since they never show the full penetra- I mean the actual act.

Dupage25 likes this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Yeah someone once did a thread about best results after clicking no on the Are you over 21? Some were really funny.

9. The one's that make me laugh is when I put in that I'm 100, it won't let me in... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!

10. I see it as mainly a responsibility response from industry to law makers, community groups and special interest groups that want to see some sort of restriction tool that may stop under 21s (or under 18s here in Aus) accessing their site. For sure, it isn't going to work in the majority of cases but for the very few it does you can say that the tool has done its job. And in those few cases it does stop under21s from accessing the brewery's site it may also stop the underage supply of alcohol as some of these brewery sites allow for internet purchases of their beer and if you have a credit card (their parents' one if need be) they usually allow the purchase without proof of age needed.

11. Super pointless and laughable. I am 27 but went on a website yesterday. I put in that I am born on 2/22 1922 just for convenience sake. Seriously ppl actually takes the time to report their real birthdays just to view a website?

12. Yeah I never put in my real birthday. It's usually something like 01/01/1900

13. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

On Bell's website I always enter 5 - 5 - 1555.

14. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna tell on you.

15. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

On the other hand, when people actually enter their real birthday, or at least the right year, it is a sort of research into the age groups that visit the site.

16. Here's one that should be easy to remember: 90210.

Crusader likes this.
  17. ffenski

ffenski Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 24, 2008

I have reported everybody who has reported on this website that they have reported a false birthdate. Consequently, you are all going to beer hell, where they only serve Bud Chelada and Cave Creek Chili Beer on draught.

18. Sorry man. I thought you meant C'Ya as in this thread would be deleted. I was too quick to judge because I see so many threads like this turn into debates and get deleted.

19. My apologies I honestly didn't think it was an acronym and just thought they were saying "good bye".

20. An honest mistake. Right before I hit post, I wondered if that's what you meant in the back of my mind.

21. I think my posts are much more shitty when I'm sober about to head to work compared to after work and a few deep.

22. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Don't kid yourself. Remember what that girl looked like at 2am and then the downgraded version at 8am? We're usually better off sober, but it's much less fun.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  23. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Its pointless. Its probably there because of some stupid law.

24. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

25. erway

erway Aficionado (220) New Mexico Jul 28, 2006

The simple fact is that websites are advertisements in the eyes of the TTB and they have shown an increased interest in how we as an industry are representing ourselves on the internet. Every lawyer worth their weight will advise their clients to put up a date prompt. It hasn't become law yet, but all fingers point to it becoming law in the near future, and best for most breweries to stay ahead of the curve.

26. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Or any number of things that could be considered age inappropriate (including shows) that can bring about those awkward moments in parenting. Yep...agree it makes perfect sense.

27. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

Can we just start a new thread dedicated to hilarious pages that these "No" answers send you to? :p

We all obviously agree that entering your age is stupid, but somewhat necessary due to laws and things.

28. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Oh yeah? How so? Most of these sites are just using javascript string evaluators that do some pretty easy date math, to get over 184082 hours, and then set a cookie if you are so that the warning doesn't keep popping up. Unless the brewery is a mega-conglomerate, they typically don't have the money or manpower to data-mine the inputs - and what would be the point anyway, considering how many people lie? I've been over 21 for quite a while and I don't think I've ever entered in my real birthdate once.

There's more information to be gained from your entrance and exit points in the site than there is from the age calculator.

29. One already exists.

dieBlume likes this.
  30. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (325) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

I can't stand going to brewery websites on my mobile phone and having to enter my DOB. Such a pain...yes or no should suffice.

ao125 likes this.
  31. epk

You obviously have more experience in the area than myself. It was just a thought... but alas, I bow to your superiorness. You have bested me sir.

32. epk

I didn't get it either, but I agree, it's totally a CYA thing.

33. It does seem stupid and it is probably because of a stupid legal requirement but once you've experienced late night booze filled carnage in downtown Glasgow, Manchester, Colchester etc you understand why people make these types of laws.

34. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Care to elaborate?

35. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (300) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

36. Mass downtown public intoxication resulting in violence among both sexes and with police leading to hospitalization of the hopelessly wrecked and/or abuse of/ violence against hospital staff. Regular urination, vomiting &/or defecation on the streets & while this is happening, public fornication etc. An absolute no go area for the sober after dark. Like a scene out of 'Beer Street and Gin Alley' 21st Century style. There was even a TV program about it called 'Booze Britain'.

I am no prude and I love my beer but having witnessed stuff like this I can understand why some people get their panties in a twist about alcohol.

37. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Ok I can understand NOT selling beer to anyone under 18. (you can die for the USA you can frigging drink, vote, etc)

But why in the hell does a damn beer website have to ask you if your 21? I am not buying anything. IF they want beer info ANYONE can read this site or 1000 others....reading about beer is not buying beer!!!!

Come on breweries stop this crap....its pointless.

IS there a law that forces you to do this?

ah to all my VET buds, I salute you....

38. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

trying to figure out America's laws and customs when it comes to anything alcohol is just going to make you angry and sad.
    have a beer instead.

ps. the drinking age is 21 in all parts of America.
    Cheers.

charlzm and StuartCarter like this.
  39. It's the CYA mentality - spelt out , Cover your Ass (though I'm not sure what it's being covered over!)

azorie likes this.
  40. blue-dream

blue-dream Moderator (760) Illinois Aug 22, 2013 Staff Member