Stone Brewing Co. names Richmond, Virginia for its East Coast facility

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Stone Brewing Co. Names Richmond, Virginia, as Future Home for New Brewery and Destination Restaurant

ESCONDIDO, CA (Oct. 9, 2014) – Today, San Diego-based Stone Brewing Co. announced it has signed a formal letter of intent with the City of Richmond, Virginia, signifying the company’s interest in building its East Coast facility in the city’s Greater Fulton Community. Subject to local approvals, Stone plans to invest $74 million to construct a production brewery, packaging hall, destination restaurant, retail store and its administrative offices. Construction of the facilities will occur in phases. The brewery is anticipated to be operational in late 2015 or early 2016, with Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens opening a year or two after that. Ultimately, the company will employ more than 288 people.

“The search for our location east of the Mississippi River was no easy endeavor,” said Stone President and Co-founder Steve Wagner. “We received and reviewed hundreds of proposals, visited more than 40 sites, and received quite a bit of attention from communities and craft beer fans. The three finalist cities each provided diverse offerings, however, we decided to begin next-step negotiations with Richmond because of their ability to meet our extensive site requirements, subject to the city’s approval. We also feel that Richmond’s vibrant energy and impressive craft beer culture, along with the uniqueness of the property, will allow us to create a truly memorable Stone experience for our fans. We are honored by the amount of time and effort all the communities that submitted proposals put forth, and we want to specifically thank Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe and Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones for welcoming us.”

[​IMG]

Adds Stone CEO and Co-founder Greg Koch, “A facility on the East Coast will allow us to meet demand for our beer, ensure we are providing our fans with the freshest beer possible and also serve as a distribution hub for states located east of the Mississippi. We look forward to becoming an integral part of the lively craft beer community in Richmond, the state of Virginia and the entire eastern U.S.”

Stone anticipates building a 200,000 square-foot production brewery and distribution facility on 14 acres of land. Equipped with a 250-barrel brewhouse, the brewery will produce year-round and special-release beers to be bottled, kegged and distributed, as well as enjoyed on-site. The company also plans to renovate a two-story, 30,000 square-foot building, transforming it into a destination restaurant spanning four acres and highlighting locally grown organic food, complementing the harmonious nature and seasonality of the location’s surroundings. The restaurant will feature beautifully landscaped gardens where visitors will be able to enjoy craft beer, dine and relax in an inviting atmosphere.

“Today’s announcement marks the fruition of months of partnership and aggressive efforts to show Stone Brewing Co. that Virginia is the best state for its new craft beer production and hospitality facility,” said Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe. “The company received submissions from more than 20 states, and the Commonwealth of Virginia was selected. This competitive, high-profile project really puts Virginia on the map and cements our standing as a serious player in the craft beer industry. In addition to Stone’s significant investment and more than 288 new jobs, the far-reaching economic benefits of this operation are innumerable. The City of Richmond offers the infrastructure, available site and building, and natural resources that will allow the company to thrive and grow, and we are confident that Stone will benefit from the Commonwealth’s excellent business environment for years to come. Today is an achievement of great magnitude, and we are excited to welcome Stone Brewing Co. to Virginia.”

“We are thrilled about Stone's decision to choose Richmond as its East Coast production and distribution facility location,” said Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones. “After competing with 20 other states, we are so pleased that Stone has discovered those attributes that make Richmond a great place to do business. The fact that they have chosen a site in the Greater Fulton Community underscores their understanding of the rich history and natural assets that we have to offer. As they bring their unique craft beer and visionary business model here, I look forward to the many opportunities that lay ahead with Stone.”

This is the second expansion announcement Stone has made this year. In July, the company unveiled it will become the first American craft brewer to independently own and operate a brewery in Europe with the opening of Stone Brewing Co. – Berlin.

About Stone Brewing Co.
    Founded by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner in 1996, San Diego-based Stone Brewing Co.is the 10th largest craft brewer in the United States. Stone has been listed on the Inc. 500 | 5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies list 10 times, and has been called the “All-time Top Brewery on Planet Earth” by BeerAdvocate magazine twice. The multi-faceted company will be the first American craft brewer to independently own and operate facilities in Berlin, Germany, and also intends to build a second production brewery in Richmond, Virginia. Known for its bold, flavorful and largely hop-centric beers, Stone has earned a reputation for brewing outstanding, unique beers while maintaining an unwavering commitment to sustainability, business ethics, philanthropy and the art of brewing. For more information on Stone Brewing Co., please visit http://stonebrewing.com.

###

2. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

STONE BREWING CO. – RICHMOND MEDIA FACT SHEET

OVERVIEW:
    • Brewery anticipated opening in late 2015 or early 2016
    • Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens is anticipated to open a year or two later
    • Initial investment of $74 million
    • Will eventually employ more than 288 people
    • Facilities will include:
      • Production brewery
      • Packaging
      • Administration oces
      • Retail sales
      • Destination restaurant
    • Located in Richmond’s Greater Fulton Community connecting to the east docks of the James River
    PRODUCTION FACILITY:
    • Will be constructed on 14 acres of land
    • 200,000 square-foot production brewery and distribution facility
    • 250 barrel brewhouse
    • Will produce year-round and special-release beers for on-site consumption and distribution
    DESTINATION RESTAURANT:
    • Will renovate a two-story, 30,000 square-foot building
    • Will span four acres
    • Will highlight locally grown, organic food that complements the harmonious nature and seasonality of the location’s surroundings.

3. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (1,223) Oct 2, 2009 Ohio

Probably hard to see, but Stone, in a letter to the Stone2Cbus group, has said they are brewing a special beer that will only be available in Central Ohio for our grassroots effort.

[​IMG]

pudgym29, JohnnyMc, aoampm and 10 others like this.
  4. newyork326

newyork326 Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2013 Virginia

That's like an hour drive for me.... SWEET!

Modernrickk and ThomasAWilson2 like this.
  5. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2013 California

Will it be a single-hop Columbus IPA?

6. gregcordle

gregcordle Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2008 Ohio
    Trader

The way some of the Columbus folks are reacting, I'm thinking it should be an ESB.

We gave it a good shot and for the most part people are reacting favorably but then there's the vocal minority... sheesh.

Kurmaraja, Sumdeus and REVZEB like this.
  7. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Now, it will be a lot easier for me to pick up my Collaboration beers.

p.s. ISO: OH Stone beer.

8. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Pundit (923) Jun 28, 2014 California

Well played, VA

9. BeerBuckeye

BeerBuckeye Savant (1,223) Oct 2, 2009 Ohio

FT: Stone Brewery :slight_smile:

Greg, just make sure whatever you brew, it's under 12%!

Jnashed likes this.
  10. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Grand Pooh-Bah (3,282) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lovin' this! I spend a lot of time in Richmond.

Modernrickk likes this.
  11. weezarc

weezarc Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2008 Maryland

Can't help but feel that a new Stone brewery would be better appreciated in Northern VA than down south in Richmond but that could also be because it would be an easier drive for me

lorenwhite7 and gregcordle like this.
  12. potteryboy

potteryboy Devotee (303) Jul 17, 2009 Alabama

Congrats Roanoke!

13. Swettenham_Shire

Swettenham_Shire Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Ohio

Oh well. Looking forward to that exclusive Columbus beer!

14. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

We can drive up to Richmond by beautiful old US 360 (avoiding I-85 and I-95), visit a favorite city, patronize a favorite brewery, and avoid the crappy D.C. area traffic. Greensboro was once in the running for landing this project, but I'm thrilled to see it getting ready to happen in Richmond!

fredmugs likes this.
  15. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

Bummer they are not coming here to Norfolk, but Richmond was the next best choice, not too far away, and Stone is still awesome. Looking forward to our Norfolk beer :slight_smile:

ThomasAWilson2 likes this.
  16. LiquidCucumber

LiquidCucumber Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2009 Ohio

Congratulations Richmond! I have friends that live somewhat close, so I will see you next year.

Only a little sad we're not getting Stone. Very stoked that we're getting our own beer! With all the publicity I think Columbus will probably have another brewer courting us sometime in the near future.

rgordon likes this.
  17. JMUAndy

JMUAndy Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 Virginia

I couldn't be more excited! This is going to be fantastic.

18. Brad007

Brad007 Pooh-Bah (2,797) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah

I wonder if beer from that facility will make its' way up where I am? I would love to have ultra-fresh Stone and it will help them reduce their carbon footprint from shipping up this way.

19. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

So we've got an Ohio consolation collab, and a Norfolk consolation collab. How's about a Norfolk/Columbus collab? Something to do to pay homage to the Chesapeake & Ohio rail line?

20. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2006 Ohio

I'm really bummed that Ohio isn't getting it, but the way Stone handled the announcement was very classy. No Stone hate from me.

TheBeerNation likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.