1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

21st Amendment Lower De Boom Barleywine, 1st American Craft Beer in Smaller "Nip Size" Cans

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

San Francisco, CA (February 2013) - As the story goes, it is 1859 and Shaun and Nico have just arrived in San Francisco for the gold rush. Ten years late. Soon they find themselves in a dinghy in the middle of the Bay thanks to a forged treasure map given to them by scheming shop owner Cornelius De Boom. At the bottom of the bay they discover a treasure chest of rare and perfectly preserved beer. With this "liquid gold" they become wealthy beer barons, buy out De Boom Supply, and unceremoniously show Cornelius the back door. Today, if anyone gives them trouble, Shaun and Nico exchange looks across the bar and say "Lower De Boom."

Honoring tradition, but adding its signature creative twist, 21st Amendment Brewery today announced the release of Lower De Boom Barleywine, a powerfully balanced American-Style barleywine packed with citrusy hops. Co-founders Shaun O'Sullivan and Nico Freccia said they believe this is the first American craft beer ever to be packaged in an 8.4 ounce can, the perfect size for the traditional barleywine "nip."

Notes Brewmaster O'Sullivan, "Historically, barleywines, with their high alcohol, were brewed for their winter warmer quality. The huge grain bill, intense hops and long conditioning time make this beer perfect for savoring from a snifter next to a roaring fire. Enjoy one now and lay another can down as this beer will age quite nicely as the hops pull back and the malt and complex flavors meld together."

Freccia adds, "When they were first brewed, barleywines were almost exclusively sold in small bottles and we wanted to recapture that tradition in a new way, with a new can. Plus, at 11.5% alcohol, any larger a serving and you might feel like the boom has been lowered on you!"

Cornelius De Boom figures prominently into the story of both 21st Amendment and its new beer. De Boom was a Belgian-born ship owner, who actually made it to San Francisco in time for the gold rush in 1848. De Boom Street, named for him, is the alley which runs alongside 21st Amendment Brewery. The brewery's De Boom Street entrance is often referred to as "lower De Boom" by brewery employees, and the name is a fitting inspiration for the new brew.

Lower De Boom is chestnut brown in the glass with complex notes of toffee malt, vanilla, burnt bread pudding and piney hops with a slight oak flavor. It is the latest installment in 21st Amendment Brewery's Insurrection Series, a limited edition, once-in-awhile 4-pack release of a very special beer that rises up in revolt against common notions of what canned beer can be. It will be available in stores and on draft in bars February-March in all seventeen of 21st Amendment's distribution territories, including CA, OR, WA, AK, ID, MN, OH, MA, NY, NJ, DC, MD, DE, PA, VA, GA and NC. For up to date availability, events and promotions, visit 21A's website at www.21st-Amendment.com.

About 21st Amendment Brewery
    Hey, we're Nico & Shaun. We live for great beer. When we opened the 21st Amendment Brewpub in San Francisco in 2000, we vowed to do things differently. To us, the 21st Amendment means much more than just an end to Prohibition. It means the right to brew beer, the freedom to be innovative, and the obligation to have fun.

###

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Sounds good to me, perfect size for a 10+% beer IMO.

kojevergas and RTrain12 like this.
  3. so is it a red bull can?

4. Can't wait to give it a try.

5. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

im interested to see the pice of this bad boy

6. It's part of the Insurrection Series, which means it will have the same UPC as their other 4-packs - you'll be paying ~$9.99 for 14.4 fewer ounces of beer.

7. I'd like to think that I can handle 12 oz of barleywine, thank you very much.

The beer sounds good, but I can't see this format taking hold.

jacob4999 and fujindemon74 like this.
  8. KevSal

dammit that sucks, i had a feeling...

luckily my trader joes gets their brews, loosk like im splitting up a four pack soon

9. As long as it's priced appropriately, I like the size.

10. I, too, like the size. There is something almost refined about it. I do hope that the price is a little lower than their normal packs, but, as some else wrote earlier it looks like they are using the same UPC. So, probably not.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  11. KevSal

9.99 a four pack

sergeantstogie likes this.
  12. We eagerly await.

13. I love this. Many beers are the same strength as wine, which is served in a glass with 3 - 5 oz. pours. There's many times I'm hesistant to buy a 4-pack of a strong beer because I don't want 4 12 oz. beers at 10% abv.

14. Meh - the can may be novel, but Flying Dog and Rogue have both already done this with 7oz pony bottles and neither took off.

I have no problem with this conceptually, but it's an unnecessary gimmick.

jasonmason likes this.
  15. I guess I need to buy a case.

16. Get your asses back to SoCal.

17. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

I would full support this if the four packs were priced 30% less than their 12-oz four packs. I certainly don't mind the smaller format by itself, but less beer for the same price?

haruspexvic and fujindemon74 like this.
  18. That's pretty much been the model for the whole 6-pack to 4-pack movement anyhow.

Seeing that this is $10 for a 4-pack of cans that are 2/3 the size of normal cans is just laughable.

19. Cant wait to sneak a few of these into Giants games!

20. Finally. So many times in the past have had to stop drinking my barleywine and exclaim, "You know, if only this was a third smaller I would enjoy it that much more."

21. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Less beer that's stronger and more expensive to produce. No one complains that the barleywines are more expensive than other styles in the same size format; why would you complain now?

I have dozens of times looked at barleywines in my cellar and thought "I'd like to drink that, but I don't want that much more alcohol tonight". More frequently a problem with 22s, but even with 12oz once stuff gets up in the 12-14% range, you're talking about 2.5 - 3 "standard drinks".

Many bars serve barleywines in 8oz glasses. I don't see why people seem unhappy about bottles that size.

22. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

Great news, about time to separate the men from the boys.

23. Anchor's Old Foghorn was bottled in nips (6.3 and later 7 oz.) for a couple of decades (up to the the mid-2000's IIRC- and I still miss 'em) and, as noted in the OP, it was pretty traditional also for UK barleywine, RIS's and other strong beers (Thomas Hardy Ale). Schoenling's Little King's have been primarily bottled in nips for half a century and Rolling Rock (before it really took off in the '80's) was best known for their 7oz. "pony" bottles.

24. True, some do, I am unhappy about it. Especially when its not listed as being served in an 8oz glass. Or even worse, when the menu displays it as being served in a large snifter glass, and then you get this dinky tester. (Appalachian Brewing Co.) But until places allow you to bring in your own bottles, to drink in the house glass, this is all irrelevant.

25. Blithering Idiot, Devil's Milk, Old Foghorn, Cereal Killer, and Bigfoot are all better values for me on a unit basis and I have no problem finishing a 12oz bottle of any of those, so...

26. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Doesn't six point use these?

27. No, Sixpoint uses the 12 oz. "slim" cans for some of their higher ABV beers (Resin, at least) - which are as tall as standard 16 oz. beer cans, but with a smaller diameter.

28. weonfire

weonfire Savant (360) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

I guess that means you need to stop drinking by yourself.

29. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I bought the Flying Dog 7oz bottle pack (8 bottles) when I first turned 21 and was getting into craft beer. I thought it was awesome!

30. And the new 3Beans.

31. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

For $10 it still seems like a reasonable deal (given the prices at my local bottle shops in NY). I will definitely be excited to try the beer and interested in the smaller cans. I always like 21st Amendment can art so if anything it will be great to see these.

32. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Had this beer on draught a couple years ago, and would easily pay the $10 for a 4 pack of nips. Seems like a decent deal on a style that seems to average the same cost for 22 oz. I also like that you do not need to commit to a 22oz bottle if your store breaks up the four packs into singles. Try it then judge if it is worth it to you.

33. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yeah, I don't see how ~33oz of a Barleywine at a $9.99 price point is a major problem.

34. On the Anchor tour I just went on, the guide stated that they used to do small bottles, but since people are able to handle their alcohol more these days they now bottle in 12 oz. bottles. And sure enough there was a display with the small bottles.

35. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I sincerely doubt that there have been any biological changes in how people metabolize alcohol since Anchor has been open.

gueuzehead likes this.
  36. Call me a cynic, but that's a pretty elaborate story to rationalize cost cutting/increasing margins.

Slatetank likes this.
  37. I am just quoting what was told by the brewer leading the tour. Maybe they really did it because small bottles are a PITA to fill and just standardized. No, there aren't biological changes, but people ARE drinking higher ABV beverages. Heck, people have complained about 22oz and 750's of 9 to 12% beer, but its still selling.

38. I think barleywine's are just not as popular with the general population, so the price point is an issue. Bigfoot dropped to 4 packs for 10 bucks instead of $13-14 buck 6 packs. And the ABV has been dropping about a third of a percent every year for the last 3 years. So the alcohol is not an issue. You can almost do a vertical off the shelf with the amount of Old Foghorn that does not get sold here in the Bay Area. 15 bucks for a six pack, regardless of the quality is still hard to swallow(no pun intended). Best, or worst if you want to call it, I have seen in the SF Bay Area is a 4 pack of Old School for $22. I passed, but I bet they will all be gone when I go back.