1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

27 year old barleywine - Good to drink still?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Oneinchaway, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Just came in possession of a 1986 Anchor Old Foghorn barleywine that has been properly cellared (or at least that's the info I'm under the impression of). Think this is still good to drink?
  2. Yes.
    KevSal likes this.
  3. You should take a test drive and let everyone else know.
  4. WynnO

WynnO Savant (490) Florida Oct 24, 2003

No. Please send it to me first so I can check it. I'll send the bottle back.
    bamadog, Boomblaze, mlaroche and 2 others like this.
  5. It might not be that great (or who knows - maybe it will be!!) but I don't see why it would be hazardous to drink. Go for it. :cool:
    Oneinchaway likes this.
  6. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

What's the worst that can happen, a drainpour? At best you have an awesome beer experience.

Not to sound like an ass, but I never understand these threads. Just open it and take a sip. If it sucks, move on with life.
  7. Dude that's awesome. You gotta try it.
  8. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

It should be a very interesting experience...hopefully you can dig up a fresh bottle for comparison.
  9. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Need pix of the entire tasting event.
  10. I haven't had good luck with older Old Foghorns- they have been too oxidized for my tastes- but that could have been dependent on how they were stored. Still- yours has been stored properly and it's probably not getting any better, so it's definitely worth a try. The worst that could happen is that it is too sherry-like and you don't like it. It won't make you sick or anything.
    Gosox8787 and SometimesIfart like this.
  11. If you think it's questionable at 27 years, then you'll think it's questionable at 28, 29, 30, etc. It's not like someone's going to get on here and say "It's a drain pour at 27 years, but at 29 years it's amazing!" So you're either never going to drink it and wonder for the rest of your life, or you're going to give it a shot. No time like the present homie.
    M1A2, Shagtastic, Baab200 and 8 others like this.
  12. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

I hear at year 25 barleywines actually turn back into IPAs
  13. 27 is pushing it. 26 is usually about perfect.
  14. Oh no, I know that it ain't getting any better or worst. I literally just got a bottle today from someone. I plan to crack this open soon, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this long of a vintage themself to know if I'll need a quick washer right after. HA.
  15. HA!
  16. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I had a 15 year old home brewed spiced ale once and it was fine so a barley wine should be be able to handle the age no problem.
  17. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

If its not >=(.5*your age + 7) its too young for you bro
  18. This is about 5 years past that then.
  19. I hear what your saying. It's the obvious. However... If you don't understand, just read. Hey... It's beer... Fun stuff. Social stuff. A way of sharing. Maybe someone else has had a similar experience. I would love to hear about it. Wish I had one.
  20. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I heard its horrible at 27 years, but really hits its peak at 35 years.

Id wait it out bro.
    Oneinchaway likes this.
  21. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Drink the goddam shit. Report back, if ya want.
    gustogasmic likes this.
  22. I had a 2ish year old Old Foghorn that was oxidized to hell and nigh undrinkable. Hope the in-package O2 content was a little better on that batch / back then. I would think that even if it's terrible, it will be a fun experience to drink a beer that old. So do that.
  23. Not like there are that many barleywines that could be that old, at least US made.

Crack it open.
  24. I wouldn't expect much at all, but it's not going to kill you to try it.
  25. Hope you plan to share the experience with one or two local BA friends. Just a suggestion.
    itchytasty and Oneinchaway like this.
  26. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I had a 23 year old Bigfoot recently, and it was phenomenal still. Give it a whirl, worst that can happen is it'll be less than optimal. I know one of the reasons Bigfoot holds up so well is the ABV.
  27. I'm sure it will taste old and probably oxidized, but there's a good chance it will be enjoyable. I've had a beer that was over a century old and it was still entirely drinkable.
  28. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (300) New York Aug 6, 2002

If nothing else the yeast sediment will have amazing restorative properties.
  29. Let us know!!!
  30. if someone said no would you just not open it?
    gustogasmic and Providence like this.
  31. gotta do it bruh
  32. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Open her up and see.
  33. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

One way to find out. My guess is that it's probably past its prime though.
  34. Of course.
  35. Hell no.
  36. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Agreed that obviously ABV plays a part in how well something holds up. But 23 years? My god thats a whole nother story. This was as old as me.
  37. I'll let everyone know how it is when I crack it open.
  38. Also got a 6 pack of Bigfoot today featuring a 93,95,98,99,03,&08. Can't wait to crack those open for a side by side.
  39. 46and2

46and2 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 28, 2008

Looking forward to the result!

Oldest anything I've had of interest was a pull tab top white can labeled simply...Beer. It was one of the worst experiences of my life, but I made $5 on the deal.
    wiscokid920 likes this.