1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

27 year old barleywine - Good to drink still?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Oneinchaway, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Where do you shop? A goodwill? Time Machine?
  2. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (370) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

At least you made some money off of it.

I remember back when I was first drinking beer with some buddies and wanted to try as many different types as possible. Went into the fridge and grabbed one never had before. Turned out to be a 5 year old Sharps lol!

I'm surprised they were all able to hold in the laughter for as long as they did!
  3. A shop by me that has a crazy vintage cellar amongst other current beers.
  4. Sounds like it could be a treat.
  5. 46and2

46and2 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 28, 2008

Do they charge an associated premium for the cellared stuff? I'd love to have some chances at 4-5 year old RIS's.

I do recall encountering a 1997 Anchor Christmas bottle somewhere, although I don't recall if I tried it or not.
  6. In most cases (if not all), low-alcohol canned beers - unless refridgerated the entire time - are going to be destroyed by the passage of time.

I have tried 20+ year-old Ballantine IPA (green bottle), that was somewhat oxidized, but tolerable. The quality of the bottle cap is important, too.
  7. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I had a 1997 recently and it was incredible, nearing JW Lee's quality. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on it. Worst case as said, it's not good, but there's no way to know until you try it.
    Oneinchaway likes this.
  8. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

I am curious what sort of premium price a 27 year old bottle of beer brings from a retail shop. Seems like a real gamble to me, chances are the beer would be well past it's prime. Do you mind sharing what you paid for this and the Bigfoot six pack?
  9. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (445) New York Jun 7, 2005

These Old Foghorn nips are fantastic. I've had a couple of them (all mid-80's) and they were both a perfect specimen of a well-aged American barleywine.

Does yours have the neck-tag, by any chance?
  10. In 2006, a British brewery discovered barleywines that were 137 years old in their cellar and those who tried it said it was amazing.

I vote for saving it, if you think you can live that long.
  11. Drank a 92 a few months ago, and it was stellar
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  12. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Pfft, 21 years old...amateur hour. :D

I am glad to hear that it has held up. Got a three year vertical in the fridge I am looking forward to try.