1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2nd Impressions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Dec 22, 2012.

1. 1) What's a beer you were not impressed with the first time trying, and ended up enjoying it much more the second time around?

2) Also, what's a beer you loved the first time and upon returning months later wasn't as good as you remembered?

1) My recent second impression delight was Magic Hat #9.

2) My second impression disappointment was probably Duvel, although I will be buying it again. it's good, just not as good as i remember the first time

Casedogg43 likes this.
  2. 1) Voodoo Doughnut by Rogue....ha! Tasted much better when eating with sweets.
    2) Rumpkin by Avery. Still like but used to be my FAVORITE. TOO sweet upon further tastings.

Casedogg43 likes this.
  3. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

1) Got a couple: Pumking and Hopslam
    2) Ten Fidy

4. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Sierra nevada Pale Ale... had one when I was like 18, worst thing ever. had my first one since a few months ago, fucking incredible beer.

Allagash Curieux. Used to be my FAVORITE. Now, leaves something to be desired.

Oneinchaway likes this.
  5. I hear ya on the Allagash...same here.

6. 1) La Fin du Monde and Christoffel Bier.

2) Hobgoblin. Still like it but not as much as when I first had it.

7. 1) Celebration and Arrogant Bastard

2) Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (maybe its just top of mind because i mentioned it another thread a second ago).

8. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

I wasn't too fond of Arrogant Bastard or Noble Pils the first time I had them. A year later I decided to give them another shot. I would drink those too beers every day now.

9. emyers

emyers Savant (255) Illinois Jan 11, 2009

1) Devil Dancer. I was not ready for the hop beating the first time around. Reluctantly tried it 2 years later and loved it.

2) Southern Tier Mokah. Although the first time I had it it was only a taster and it seemed phenomenal. Didn't realize how sweet it was until I opened a bomber a few months later. Not sure if that technically counts.

10. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,010) Michigan May 5, 2010

La Fin Du Monde
    Delirium Nocturnum and Noel
    Corsendonk Xmas
    Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
    Orval
    Duvel

My Belgian palate got refined. These were all absolutely phenomenal the second time.

11. Cigar City jai alai & maduro both horrible my first time. Now my two favorites.

12. Prima Pils

13. Nice thread!

1. Southern Tier Pumpking. This is the gold standard of Pumpkin beers. My first impression was goos- but every impression since (first impression 08 batch) has been fantastic! Not only that but I have found that everyone )mu personal friends and family) I have taste this beer loves it. Fantastic Job!

2. Pliny the younger. I think I was starstruck when I first tried this brew. When I tried the 2012 batch at Monks Cafe in Philly on-tap it was goos-but abrasive. Not as fantastic as the initiak review I wrote.

14. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

The first time I tried Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I was left unimpressed. I bought a single recently and was blown away, first by the heat of the alcohol and later by the decadent chocolate. On this occasion, however, I found the taste to be highly pleasurable.

The beer that provided me the greatest "What was I thinking?" experience was Athenian Marathon. My recollection of it was that it was crisp, tasty, and wonderfully refreshing. A year later I had it again and thought it was mediocre at best. I think that I associated the beer with whatever was going on at the time, and as such, my memories were colored in a favorable manner.

15. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

DFH 90. 1st time..malt bomb hated it. Now..malt bomb love it. Obviously my taste buds are perfectly consistent and the brewer is the culprit;