1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2yr hop experiment conclusion

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Thickfreakness, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Without a doubt IMHO… DFH Burton Baton was stellar and has definitely gone Barleywine!!! The others, not so much. ST 2XIPA was certainly a nice surprise and I think had developed better than I expected. 90 min was a bit of a letdown as was Nugget Nectar. I really thought those would both shine and become something really cool. The Harpoon was another really nice surprise and I wouldn’t hesitate drinking some that was past the “best by” date. I really like the Green Tea aspect that Flower Power picked up… very unique. I’d love to try an IPA brewed with some green tea.
    All and all, it’s been a fun 2 year experiment and I would suggest you try some of your own favorites and see what you think. I really want to get a couple bottles/cans of Bootleggers Knuckle Sandwich, Avery Maharaja, Smuttynose Big A and Sixpoint Resin and see what happens to them over the next 2 or 3 years.
    Cheers and enjoy life… Blaze

wonothesane42 likes this.
  2. lookrider

lookrider Savant (410) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Thanks Blaze for all the time and effort you put into this and for sharing the results with us. That was a very practical and informative experiment. My two favorite candidates to try the aging experiment with are Dreadnaught and Hercules Double IPA and I'm going to try it. Good work man!

Thickfreakness likes this.
  3. Nicely done, man. I've only had Burton Baton with a year on it. Thought it was awesome-definitely moved into barleywine turf. I think Clown Shoes Supa' Hero would be a good contender to try this out too.

4. Tried this with a 6 year old Lagunitas Maximus and a Rogue IPA.

The Rogue smelled like garbage water. The Maximus turned barleywine. Neither were drinkable.

5. Nice expirement, and excellent documentation of it! Really well done.

Not surprised about Burton Baton, that beer has so much going on. I had a year old bottle once and it was a bit awkward, still enough hops that it was weird with how much sweetness was taking over. I have a feeling 2-3 years would be even more kind to BB.

On the other hand, I had a year old Nugget Nectar recently and it was awful...so, I'm not surprised by your findings there.

Well done!

6. Thank you. It was fun and I had a good time reading my old reviews after reviewing each beer. I knew most would fade, and I don't believe any are as good as they were fresh. Different for sure, really enjoyed some aspects of a few of them. I'm certainly gonna grab some Burton to cellar and maybe drink one every 2 years for 8 years.

7. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

I think your experiment suffered from confirmation bias. Just from reading your methodology, reviews, etc.