1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

2yr hop experiment pg 4

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Thickfreakness, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA - original review 1/26/11 4.7 rating
    Bottle dated 2/3/11 (so obviously not from the same batch)
    A- Beautiful copper/orange blossom honey pour into my DFH glass. Nice thick and foamy head stays true and leaves bunches of sticky lacing dripping all down the glass. Somewhat cloudy appearance. 4.5
    S- Strong notes of pineapple, over-ripe peaches, caramel candy corn, orange marmalade, pine cone resin, alcohol, and touches of grapefruit/tangerine citrus, although it’s pretty subdued. Picking up some wet compost grass when swirled and as it warms up. 4.0
    T- Pineapple dipped in caramel, a subtle citrus pop that blended with the malt more than faded away altogether. Notes of orange blossom honey, pine sap, hints of toasted nuts, and a wonderful herbal grain/grassiness that I don’t quite remember. Picking up the alcohol in little bits. 3.75
    M- The carbonation that was there when first opened faded rather quickly leaving a decently slick IPA. The caramel covered pineapple really coats the tongue, but there is still a decent, albeit, subdued hop bitterness that follows. The alcohol is definitely present all the way thru, not it’s not mouth stripping or annoying. It just lets all the flavors open up and let themselves into this party. 3.5
    O- This one pretty much did what I expected it to do. It lost a bunch of Florida citrus, and picked up more Hawaiian citrus notes and a ton of caramel. Surprised that the alcohol didn’t fade much. Still a really decent amount of citrus bitterness and pop. The carbonation is pretty much what I thought it would be as well. Decent, but pretty much faded. Not that it’s a bad thing when something turns this sweet and delicious after two years. 3.85

[​IMG]
  2. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I have had a few year old 90 minute, 2-4 years old. I liked them. They definitely turn malty, but it works I think for this beer. Definitely not a drain pour, thats for sure.