1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

3 Floyd's Battle Priest

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by CWBlues, Jul 10, 2012.

1. I got one! I am now the shit right? :cool: errrrrrrrr

2. jpsy422

jpsy422 Savant (300) Illinois Jul 12, 2009

Post a pic. We need to see that crazy artwork.

3. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

x of 480

4. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Hey now, I'm not stirring no pot if you're unemployed. I'm just jealous I couldn't get there in time. I just hope I get another opportunity because this time I WILL LEAVE WORK WITHOUT HESITATION.

So back to my original question: no word yet on any of the other release times/quantities?

5. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I don't know where that whole 90 bottle thing came from, but I saw wayyy more than 90 people grabbing bottles in the short time I was there. Assembly-line style.

6. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

did you see them all get a bottle?

7. stxSS07

8. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

When I called earlier, the girl I spoke to said they only sold 80. Might be some truth to this....

9. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

They answered the phone AND had information to give you? Are you playing the lottery this week?

10. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Regardless they sold a very small amount of the bottles that they have. My guess is there is going to be at least one other opportunity, just like the in-person DLD tickets this year. Unfortunately, I took vacation for the next couple of day and I was off but ran an errand to the northwest suburbs...bad timing. With traffic, didn't get there until after 5:00, an hour give or take, after they sold out.

However grabbed a few brews, a quick dinner, and a high five from Nate Nelson... :D

EDIT: However, let it be known I'm still pissed they didn't check with me regarding my personal schedule... F**k FFF for selling this the day I was out in the suburbs.

stxSS07 likes this.
  11. chanokokoro

You're not only the s**t. You f**kin' rock! \m/(>_<)\m/

12. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Pssh, how overrated was that? His high fives fell off a year and a half ago.

Gonzoillini and dvelcich like this.
  13. chanokokoro

Actually, it was damn good high five. I think he's set to make Alex Rios/Adam Dunn-like comeback this year.

14. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Supplication is $12. Usually a lot less on draft.

15. Maybe in Cali. When I was in DC I saw a couple of bottle shops that ordered RR sours to sell in their stores. $20 was the minimum, I think one was going for $30. Prices were crazy

16. BFro

BFro Aficionado (235) Illinois Feb 1, 2012

We're getting off point with the bitching train here. No one has mentioned that bottles were up for trade the same day as the release. Meaning no one has paid much head to the 3Fs PSA on black market beer. Or was that only pertain to DL...? I don't remember, anywho...

This:
    Discuss ;)

17. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I think it was strictly referring to eBay sales. Trading is still (for most people) meant to spread beer among friends in far away places like Ohio. ;)

MaxSpang and gpawned like this.
  18. drgarage

DC doesn't get RR distro. Those are illegal sales. You might as well quote their eBay prices.

19. For those that were about to head down there, I called the brewpub and they said it would not be sold again today. Said he was not sure when it would happen again, but within the month.

20. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

From the brewery bottle sales window 2 minutes ago:

Asked about Battle Priest, was told it was sold out. "I have to be careful about what I say, I told someone yesterday that we were selling half and he posted it online and misinterpreted it to mean we were selling more at a later date. It sold out fast."

21. There are a couple liquor store that do get distribution that put some of their beers for sale online. I belive the places in DC buy directly from those sites and have such a high markup to cover Shipping on top of already expensive beer. Then a premium on top of that to get beer you would never normally see there. Apparently worth it to some people. I don't think this practice is illegal in any way

22. drgarage

It is. You can't sell beer that doesn't get distributed to you. It's just that simple. A lot of stores will do so with secret cellar sales and stuff that they don't put out front, but it's flouting the law to put it on shelves.

23. MarkIntihar

My understanding is that DC works a little differently, and can circumvent the distribution system. Let me see if I can dig something up.

24. MarkIntihar

I know it's just a blog, but here is some relevant info:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...port-regulations-made-d-c-a-craft-beer-haven/

Important part is here:

And some related FAQ's here:

http://abra.dc.gov/DC/ABRA/About ABRA/Frequently Asked Questions/Importing Alcoholic Beverages

25. MarkIntihar

26. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

not really. in CO its usually closer to $15 and in philly it's 18-20 like he said. same goes for temptation...consecration and sanctification are slightly less.

27. drgarage

28. MarkIntihar

Yep, gotta be able to get all those politicians their favorite local beers! ;)

29. drgarage

I just know what it costs on the West Coast, which is the only real RR distribution area and therefore the only place where it's priced as the brewer intended (as is the case with Battle Priest, which is what we were discussing). CO and Philly get it because Vinnie has good friends there, and he obviously has no control over pricing there. It's kind of a silly comparison either way, because Battle Priest was only available at 3 Floyds, and RR doesn't distribute in the Midwest, so no one was choosing between the two anyway.

30. Skull40

Skull40 Savant (250) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

For $35 I'll take a case of Zombie Dust (once it's available again) over a single bottle of Battle Priest.

31. paslaugh

paslaugh Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 17, 2012

I missed it yesterday by about 20 min. Very pissed about wasting $15 in gas to not get one of the 90 bottles released, only to find out that they've got another 300 sitting in the back room. :mad:

32. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

Hope you at least bought some Apocalypse cow while out there. That sucks about barely missing it.

33. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

FWIW pretty sure this is a rumor and it is ALL sold out. This comes on very good authority.

chanokokoro likes this.
  34. raveskdr

raveskdr Savant (355) Virginia Oct 10, 2009

Washington DC has the Beer Baron law. If you can get it into your shop, restaurant, or bar, and you pay a minute tax on it, you can sell it. That simple. I once walked into a store in DC and got Deschutes, Cigar City, Russian River, and Alesmith. I passed on Alpine. It is extremely great in that regard. But, prices. One store routinely gets Russian River sours. However, they were (are, Supplication is there) $35. Yeahhhhh.

Overall, still a damn nice law, IMO.

35. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (320) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Stopped by 3F for lunch and to grab some ZD yesterday and talked with a fellow beer geek . He told me about the priest release so I grabbed a bottle but hated the $35 price tag. My fellow beer geek said he had to taste so we opened In the parking lot and another beer geek joined us also. For the record , I love their rye da lightning but This was Not good ..... I hate to say it was bad but maybe it is just Not my style. I then sold my bottle to my fellow beer geek. He said he too did Not like it but had a friend in DC who wanted to try it so win win . This is just one man's opinion. FYI we put the beer on ice for 45 minutes b4 we drank it. Cheers!

36. stxSS07

I still don't know how that 90 bottle thing caught on/became fact so quickly.

37. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

i called today and heard that it was indeed completely sold out for good. who knows whether any more will hit the takeout counter or not? I'm a bit bummed, however, fwiw, missing out on a 3 floyd's sour is probably not the end of the world, until cantillon either comes to munster to make one, or else ships 3 floyd's some exclusively produced beer. until then, 3 floyds is brilliant with hops and also makes a mean stout!

38. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Industry perks, someone brought it to a tasting.

It should also be noted that I submitted it as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. I don't know why it's an AWA now.

39. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

A friend stopped in this evening and they said they were indeed sold out, BUT it may get bottled again at a later date.

40. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Anyone else open one yet?