1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

3 Floyd's question - BA Moloko

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Coirm, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 12, 2012

Anyone tell me when if and when this was done? Was it bottled? 750s, bombers, growlers, gold plated unicorn horns? Any info would be most appreciated.
  2. jbecke2

jbecke2 Aficionado (185) Illinois Oct 22, 2011

If I'm not mistaken they did a release about 3-6 months ago. 750s and around 564 bottles.

Try a search or check FFFs Facebook.
  3. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Cognac Moloko and Conquistador de Muerte were bottled back around September. 750s at $35 each. Don't recall if they did a Bourbon version in bottles, but I don't believe so.
  4. No bourbon...yet.
  5. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Anyone had cognac moloko that can let me know what they thought about it? I got a bottle (385) in a trade during boltcutter release and have yet to indulge. Don't know if I want to trade with it or drink, any thoughts??
  6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Do you like barrel aged stouts? Then I suggest you drink it and form your own opinion of it. Personally I thought it was excellent.

If you don't like barrel aged stouts, then I'm a bit perplexed as to why you put in the effort to trade for it in the first place.
    sliverX and stxSS07 like this.
  7. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Off topic but I'm with you, why would someone trade for something and then trade away for something different. People are playing lets make a deal trying to land a blaeber starting with a sixer of zombie dust. I met some guy I traded with at an event and I asked if he liked the beer (he asked for a trade because I was talking about the beer in a thread, And traded it for off the shelf beer to cover $), he said he didn't try it and traded it for a CBS. Im a peaceful man and all I wanted to so was slap him.
    sliverX and MarkIntihar like this.
  8. MarkIntihar

For an on-topic discussion of this off topic, allow me to refer you here:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...ty-just-to-trade-it-for-something-else.63816/
    burica2020 likes this.
  9. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Was he the guy from that animated video!?
  10. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Wow I see the dick train has just rolled into town... The only reason I got this beer to begin with is because I had a trade worked out with someone and last minute he wanted to know if he could get some KBS. I DO like BA stouts, not ever hearing of this one in particular I agreed to part with some of my KBS, which the other trader had never had a bottle. I personally had asked him if he had a darklord from any year he could trade instead, but he didn't. This is why I posed my question to begin with, how is this beer drinking???? I would personally have liked to trade for a darklord to begin with, so if the opinion of fellow ba's is that this beer is an underachiever, then I would use that information to possibly acquire something else or bring to a tasting. Thank you for no constructive information what so ever by the way.
    Savearth likes this.
  11. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Wasn't Conquistador de Muerte in Bourbon Barrels? I think yes, with chilies. Haven't drank mine yet.

I did drink the Cognac Moloko and was incredible... got me wasted beyond belief, I think it had to be upwards of 12%....

Jazzed about BA Topless Wytch... was told it's a bit hot right now, and to wait on it a bit, also estimated around 12%. Bourbon barrels as well, forgot to ask about what bourbon....
  12. MarkIntihar

Wasn't trying to be a dick, just giving you my thoughts, but since you asked for some constructive information, I suggest you read some reviews:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/85075

If the reviews sound pleasing to you, then drink the beer. If not, go ahead and trade it. I'm frankly quite shocked that you were able to find someone to throw you a Cognac Moloko instead of a Dark Lord. IIRC, the Cognac Moloko really exploded on the trading block when first released. Unless of course you meant Barrel Aged Dark Lord. In which case I'm far less surprised.
    KWMiles, libbey, FTowne and 1 other person like this.
  13. mbockstruck30

I opened my bottle of cognac Moloko a couple months ago. I wouldn't recommend holding onto it (meaning drink it now if you are going to). Very similar to the Cognac DL, unlike the bourbon versions, they are well balanced and not hot at all fresh. So no need to age. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The Conquistador was a bit disappointing as it wasn't as spicy (chili) as previous draft versions I've had. So I would not age that either, for anyone who cares (unlike DL De Muerte which is still damn spicy over a year later.
  14. Id like to trade for it. The regular Moloko is my favorite stout.
  15. mbockstruck30

yes, Conquistador was bourbon, I just meant they didn't have a straight bourbon BA version.
  16. Did someone say dicks? Will pepper my angus for dick waving thread and post pics of my M
  17. AnnArborJoe

AnnArborJoe Savant (325) Michigan Jan 18, 2011

Dick train happens to be the name of my experimental jazz trio. We never have had a chance to play Grand Rapids as the bass player is in another band Dutch Rudder, who has been banned from playing within the city limits for obvious reasons.

Wait, what were we talking about? Oh, yea. Markinthecar, least helpful person on BA.
  18. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

S'good. Drink up.
    MarkIntihar, libbey and AnnArborJoe like this.
  19. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

I was unawares the dick train stopped in Grand Rapids, guess its because I'm usually on the express

He try to talk you into drinking a beer too? The nerve of some people.
    JulianB, libbey, mcbeerbrew and 3 others like this.
  20. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Yea, your new nickname is dick train. Official.
  21. Hey guys.. come'on.. lay off Dick Train!
  22. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (435) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

IIRC, the september bottling of conquistador de muerte was aged in bourbon barrels, not port like the original release was. but i don't know with 100% certainty.
  23. Yeah, CdM is Bourbon barrel-aged plus ancho (?) chiles. There has been no bottling of this beer
    chanokokoro likes this.
  24. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I haven't cracked my Conquistador, either. I was really jazzed about BA Topless Wytch as well and headed up to the brewpub to get a bottle as soon as I got the tweet. I really dig the base beer, and due to MLK day I had a day off. I've picked up several of the BA releases, especially the Moloko variations, however there have been several I've passed on including Murda'd Out Stout, but BA Topless Wytch was one I was definitely going to purchase.
  25. chanokokoro

Agreed and my guess it won't show up (if ever) until Moloko shows up next year. My guess, is we'll see a BA Behemoth variation next around the same time Behemoth shows up in bombers this year.
  26. mbockstruck30

Conquistador de Muerte Porto. I enjoyed that very much despite the iffy reviews.. That was just one time. They have brewed De Muerte a few times, only bottled once. All bourbon.

Ancho and guajillo, I believe.
  27. mbockstruck30

Murda'd Out is the one you defiinitely should not have passed on.
  28. tinypyramids

wasn't aware it was two separate names. thanks for clarifying!
    mbockstruck30 and chanokokoro like this.
  29. chanokokoro

I'll live. ;) From most of the feeback I've gotten, it wasn't that much different from the base Baller Stout.
  30. lurchingbeast

That's some baaaaad feedback.
    Auracom, CityofBals and mbockstruck30 like this.
  31. mbockstruck30

$50 is steep for a bottle of beer, so I don't blame anyone for passing. But of all of their BA releases thus far (excluding DL of course), Murda'd Out is one of the best.
  32. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

There's also a variant on CdMP called Ronaldo (was at FOBAB). It's CDMP with sweet and tart cherries, and it was quite good.

Also, Murda'd is quite delicious, and is arguably (would be 100%, but $50 is a lot) better than any of the other Tuesday releases.
  33. JulianC

JulianC Savant (335) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Feedback on Murda I've heard has been home run out of the park... It was tough to drop 50 bones though I agree. Glad I did it.
  34. Variants of Moloko, I think you mean.. or meant to convey.

Moloko
    Variants:
    Bourbon Moloko
    Bourbon Moloko w/ Peppers (CdM)
    Port Moloko w/ Peppers (CdMP)
    Port Moloko w/ Cherries (Ronaldo)
    Cognac Moloko
    lurchingbeast and mbockstruck30 like this.
  35. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

I was just saying that there was an even more obscure FFF beer than CdMP, Ronaldo, and that it was at FOBAB (and quite delicious.) The other variants were (besides Ronaldo) all discussed before I posted. But yes, that is a complete list of the Moloko treatments.
  36. lurchingbeast

Ronaldo....Mmmmmmm.....terrible
  37. Right. I knew what you were saying. And knew you knew what you were saying. Just wanted to clarify.

I think Ronaldo and CdMP are about equal in obscurity. Both first debuted at GTMW 2011 (At Argus the night before for Ronaldo - and then both again at the festival the next day).. Porto was bottled, I don't think Ronaldo was. But Ronaldo appeared at FoBAB and I feel like it was at another event at some point.

I actually like Ronaldo a lot too. Perhaps someone else remembers if Ronaldo was ever bottled? Or which fests either appeared at??
    CityofBals likes this.
  38. I can't remember Ronaldo ever being bottled but, as far as fest are concerned they had Ronaldo and CdMP at Great Taste of the Midwest 2011 (both) and 2012 (Ronaldo). I also Ronaldo tap at FFF in 2011 or 2012 (can't quite remember).
    FlssmrBrewAlum likes this.
  39. Apparently I can't type this morning either :confused: but, maybe someone can confirm if these were part of the special bottles that were able to be purchased at the XV anniversary party.
  40. tinypyramids

porto was.