1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

3 Floyds & Surly collab for Northdown's Lions, Tigers and Beers

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by MasterSki, Apr 19, 2013.

1. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (1,035) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

This collaboration beer between Surly and Three Floyds can best be described as an Imperial Brett IPA fermented with the unique strain of yeast Brettanomyces Lambicus. This yeast creates earthy barnyard notes along with pineapple-cherry pie aromas and flavors. Of course with the "IPA" style it's hopped heavily. Simcoe and Chinook are the culprits for the "Cat peed on the Christmas tree" aroma.

This beer has been brewed specifically for the Lions, Tigers & Beers charity event on June 5th, 2013, at Northdown Cafe & Taproom. Keep an eye out for other beers created exclusively for this event.

jRocco2021 and Northdown like this.
  2. FFF Brett beer = drain pour. Not sure if Surly can even help?

brian4beer, CityofBals and dvelcich like this.
  3. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (395) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

or in this case "toilet pour" ;)

1up, CityofBals, marcgo2 and 2 others like this.
  4. Yeah they should have just left the Trouble out of the name.

beerhan and pmoney like this.
  5. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

depends on who actually did the brewing. five/pentagram is a phenomenal bretty beer. everything bretty from FFF has pretty much been a disaster iirc.

6. MasterSki

I'm guessing it will be similar to Surly's Brett Liquor, but with American hops.

7. Brett Favre was pretty good.

Five was really good.

Pentagram is ok.

8. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Maybe FFF collaborated with Surly to make sure the beer was done right? ;)

9. IrishHockey

IrishHockey Savant (250) Indiana Oct 12, 2012

Cat pee, cherry pie, pine tree... Reminds me of Christmas at my in-laws.

10. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

Or a litter box pour

feloniousmonk likes this.
  11. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (695) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Stupid stupid name.

MaxSpang and yamar68 like this.
  12. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Agreed. I really wanted Pentagram to be more like Five.. :( Think time will help it?

13. I don't. But you never know.

It's Pinot barrels vs. stainless aging, right? That's the biggest difference right?

14. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (590) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

At a certain age, most of us will have urine trouble. I don't need it at this moment. It's bad enough when I have to wake up to pee in the middle of the night.

feloniousmonk likes this.
  15. MasterSki

The rest of the lineup looks pretty interesting:
    Exclusives from 3 Floyds, Mikkeller and Firestone Walker!
    Urine Trouble -- collab from 3 Floyds and Surly for Lions, Tigers and Beers!
    Against the Grain and ToØl collaboration made just for the event!
    Off Color Brewing is also making a beer just for the event!
    Local Option!
    Piece Brewery!
    Perennial Artisan Brewing!
    Struise Black Albert on tap!
    Revolution Brewing Rosa!
    Namaste Brewing at Whip In - Austin TX!
    Upright Brewing!
    "something amazing and rare" from New Belgium

Really curious what the last one is going to be...

16. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

Eric's Ale would be pretty nice.

jegross2 likes this.
  17. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I don't understand how this event works, do I just show up that day and pay for beers and then some of the money goes to the charity?

18. MasterSki

Yep! There are also some raffles for rare beers, breweriana, and other prizes. I was one number away from winning the free tattoo last year. :(

19. Bay01

Thanks. With this beer list and no ticketing it seems like it could be a cluster, were you able to get most of the beers last year?

20. MasterSki

Since it's a weekday, it sort of kept things from getting too crazy. I showed up when they opened, got a seat and got my BA Robert the Bruce right away. They also posted a tapping schedule, so people were able to target the beers they were most interested in.

Bay01 likes this.
  21. This event was fantastic last year and pretty easy to get the tap pours. I actually won the Surly collection (four, five, 2011 Darkness, 2012 Darkness). One of the manager (owners?) poured some 2007 and 2008 Dark Lord too at the very end of the night, for anyone making any donation to the cause.

22. MasterSki

Update from Northdown's Facebook page:

Wanna know what we're going to have on tap from Mikkeller this big day? Sheeeit, hell yes you do!

So here it is:
    Spontandoubleblueberry (prolly the only keg in the US)
    Funky (e)★
    BA Nelson Sauvignon Brut
    Mikkeller George! Barrel Aged - Cognac Edition (making its only appearance outside of Dark Lord Day!)
    SpontanCherryFrederiksdal
    Mexas Ranger

23. I stopped by Northdown on Sunday night. Couple things to note for anyone not checking their facebook page. This year will be CASH ONLY. The draft list is up on their website and looks fantastic. The grand prize raffle has gone on sale and is $10/ticket. You have to select which raffle prize you are trying to win, and the bourbon flight from West Lakeview is pretty amazing, which will probably be where my tickets are.

24. MasterSki

25. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'll be in Traverse City for a New Belgium dinner on Tuesday night, do I dare, do I even dare, to do the Lake Michigan circle tour and attend this fine looking event? Work on Thursday would be rough, but you only live once, right? Hmm, very very tempted.

26. Lansman

Lansman Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

YES.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  27. Bay01

I'll help you justify a bad (not really) decision; YOLO!!!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  28. tinypyramids

the taplist for this looks completely ludicrous. unfortunately, i also imagine it being a total shitshow...

a shitshow for a good cause at least, but a shitshow nonetheless.

29. MegDuf32

MegDuf32 Aficionado (145) Illinois Jan 12, 2011

Just was showing my buddy the taplist for this, and they removed Edward?

Odd.

30. sbxx

sbxx Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

Yeah, it has all the makings of one, especially later in the day.

Hoping to sneak in for an hour or two before it gets ridiculous. We'll see.

31. tinypyramids

not really; maybe they don't want to publicly advertise a beer from a brewery that doesn't have distribution in IL so as to potentially jeopardize the event? or maybe it wasn't as confirmed as they thought it was?

32. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

MasterSki?

33. TheDankOne

TheDankOne Disciple (50) Texas Jan 18, 2010

So, I'm coming into town for this event (I work for Nameste brewing in Austin) it'll be my first time in Chicago. I'm staying around the area of the pub. What should I not miss beer/food wise?

Don't mean to thread jack, just thought this seemed like an appropriate place, and don't want to clutter with another thread. PM as to not derail this thing anymore.

On a more thread relative note, the tap list looks amazing, and I'm excited to see this place!

34. The Green Lady is just up the street and has a large, consistently solid tap list. No food but they don't mind if you bring it in. 1.5 miles northwest along Lincoln Avenue brings you to Half Acre (closed Mondays). Well worth a stop, though, again, no food (though they have numerous take-out/delivery menus available and don't mind if you have food delivered -- go for Aroy Thai). Bad Apple is across the street and is another good place for beer and a great place for monstrous burgers. Fountainhead is just a little farther north - again, solid food and very good beer; one of the best rooftops in the city, too, for drinking.

But back to the Belmont/Ashland/Lincoln intersection... I'm drawing a blank as far as other food/beer options. Oh! Scooter's Frozen Custard. They're great!

35. emerge077

emerge077 Champion (950) Illinois Apr 16, 2005

Pho's, Frasca, Cafe Orchid, and New England Seafood Co. are the best 'quick & dirty' carry-out options near there. Here's a 1.5-mile proximity map to Northdown (fairly outdated now, but a good reference for distance).

36. thereal

thereal Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

If by 'quick & dirty' you mean 'instant diarrhea,' by all means go to Pho's.

37. emerge077

I've eaten there a few dozen times with zero issues... o_O

38. thereal

thereal Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

I mostly wrote this because I thought it was funny. I will say though that I have a stomach of steel, but this place must be my gut Kryptonite. Two out of two times did not end well.

39. emerge077

They will add a sadistic amount of chili if requested (and put your photo on the wall of fame). Personally i've never ventured past "medium" heat levels there, which is pretty fiery as it is. Duck curry, musman curry, and the seafood combo are all solid options, imho.