3 Vermont brewers taking the beer world by storm

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Brad007, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

2. brikelly

brikelly Savant (430) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Great article!

3. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

How about dropping that Heady Topper in Michigan, eh?

Actually, to please the masses...

How about dropping that Heady Topper EVERYWHERE, eh?

Mercury4040 likes this.
  4. nootch23

nootch23 Savant (340) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2012

I love how quality of life is the number one priority for each. After visiting up there, I can see why. It's so beautiful there.

MrSharky, smutty33 and atdunn9 like this.
  5. FremontBar

FremontBar Savant (270) Arizona Feb 1, 2013

Thanks for sharing that article, makes me miss living in Burlington.

Brad007 likes this.
  6. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Bob and Doug McKenzie rule!

7. Was just about to post this myself - puts to rest a lot of the rampant speculation on here of why our small brewers do what they do - straight from their own mouths. A very refreshing and definitive article in light of the notoriety VT's boutique brewers are getting these days.

Brad007 likes this.
  8. Haven't read the article yet, but I just read an article about Hill Farmstead in the latest issue of Yankee. The focus of the whole issues is "the power of place." I'm sure a lot of brewers locate where they do for the sense of place and community, for the quality of life, and so forth, but few seem so rooted in the land as Hill Farmstead does. I remember on my first visit over Labor Day 2010, I was curious how long the tiny brewery in the middle of nowhere had been operating. I rather clumsily phrased the question, "How long have you guys been here?" Shaun answered, "We've always been here." I thought it was a funny, very Yankee response, but it wasn't until later that I really understood the depth of what he meant.

9. benbking

benbking Savant (295) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

Can anyone tell me if this article is SFW?

10. Cool article. I love living in New England :)

smutty33 likes this.
  11. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Very cool article! Having visited the cannery and hill farmstead a few weeks ago makes me appreciate the beer, the thought and the people behind it!

12. MrSharky

MrSharky Zealot (75) Connecticut Mar 5, 2013

Great Article - I just got the chance to visit all three of those breweries just recently - okay, not Lawson's, but I was lucky to find a few bottles, and had it on tap at the Three Penny Taproom. Rock Art is another great brewery that doesn't seem to be getting quite as much love...

Just curious for anyone from Vermont about the tasting laws at breweries - what are the restrictions? Seemed like I could only get a maximum of 4 tastes per brewery.. is that correct?

13. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I really need to drive up to VT and try all of these breweries. I'm planning a weekend to enjoy the fruits of Vermont's labor!

14. MrSharky

MrSharky Zealot (75) Connecticut Mar 5, 2013

So worth the trip - Here's my advice from my trip, based on a Friday- Sunday trip

1. Go to the Alchemist first thing on Friday - they had plenty when I got there, but were out when I went back on Sunday morning, said they ran out on Saturday early afternoon. Doesn't appear to be a limit on how much you can buy - saw one guy get 6 cases. I bought two, and I'm planning my return trip.

2. Don't miss out on Three Penny Taproom in Montpelier. If you just want to try the beers, they have all the hot breweries on tap - I was there one afternoon and they had Heady on tap (rare), 3 or 4 HF varieties, and a couple of Lawson's.

3. You can find Lawson's at the Coop in Montpelier. Maybe.

4. You will wait in line at Hill Farmstead. But it's worth it. We got there at 11;45 and the line was already formed - maybe 20 people in front of us, and it moves slow - got to the front around 1 p.m.

5. There's lots of cool places in Burlington, but you don't even need to go there to get some of the best beer.

The main difference/problem I had with the whole trip was was that sampling law, and that was only an issue at Hill Farmstead. It was a long wait, but would have been shorter if they could have given out samples. But I think there is a law limiting them to 4 samples per person.