1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

30 beers to age

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by dwitt24, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dwitt24

dwitt24 Initiate (0) Washington Feb 28, 2011

Just getting into aging...new to whole process

Aging in 38 degree cellar

Im wanting to age 30 beers for my 30th bday (basically a countdown of 30 awesome aged beers)...would start opening february '16 and end in march '16

What are beers that i should be keeping an eye out for (on west coast...easy access to pdx shops) but willing to spend money to buy from people on east coast..

Currently I have:

Deschutes Abyss 2011
    Deschutes Abyss 2012
    Deschutes Dissident 2012
    Deschutes Jubelale 2011
    Deschutes Jubelale 2012
    DFH 120min IPA (2012)
    Pelican MOAS 2012
    North Coast Barrel Aged Old Rasputin XV
    Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout
    Great Divide Old Ruffian
    Stone Double Bastard
    Pyramid Snow Cap 2011
    Pyramid Snow Cap 2012

Its not a great cellar lineup and i know that..im hoping to get some advice on aging...

Tried over 1200 different micros, got a great pallate...just new to process

Thanks in advance for advice in what to get or what to take out

D Witt

2. I'm personally not too big on aging, but I would say Stone IRS and some SN Bigfoots are must's.

larryi86, kylelenk and fredmugs like this.
  3. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Alesmith Speedway Stout

NOT Double Bastard

4. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

I'm quite new but I usually look for higher ABV stouts and barleywines. S/N Bigfoot is supposed to be a great aging beer and you couldn't go wrong with any of Goose Island Vintage Ales.

5. tronester

tronester Advocate (635) Oklahoma Nov 25, 2006

Also agree with the Stone IRS and SN Bigfoot.

North Coast Old Stock Ale, and Fullers Vintage Ales I would age as well. Perhaps a Chimay Grande Reserve?

6. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Bells Expedition, Avery Mephistopheles, Alesmith Old Numbskull, Alesmith Wee Heavy, Lost Abbey Serpent's stout, SN Celebration (for a month or two), Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout, Brooklyn Monster Ale

7. For sure on the old stock and fullers. Belgian Quads are excellent candidates (rochefort, konegshoven, omengang). Brooklyn Black Chocolate and Bell's expedition. Founder's! Anything with a high abv and a cork should hold up well...

8. dwitt24

Yeah i bought a westy 12 but had to drink it then...no waiting on that belgian quad

Ill definitely get the bigfoot, stone irs, nc old stock

Hoping to snag a sam adams utopias out of socal and keep an eye out on some founders

Trying to get stocked up soon...want to age as long as possible

9. Everyone I've talked to said good things about parabolas and I have an autum maple from the Bruery sitting.

10. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (350) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

Definitely KBS and Imperial Stout plus whatever backstage series come out in the future. Bolt Cutter should be pretty easy to trade for as there is a boatload still here in the midwest.

11. dwitt24

Bolt cutter and KBS would be a filthy pickup...im hoping to get to midwest (nashville) for training and pick some up...but if its not for awhile i may have to pick up some beers in portland and look to trade or find a buyer in the area

12. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

My cellar is mostly imperial stouts...some barleyines...old ales...quads...etc...seems to work out nicely for the most part.

Referencing OP though...38 degrees? Not gonna get much out of aging at that temp, though I'd guess that was a typo? I'd shoot for something around 50-55...decent moisture...total darkness.

13. dwitt24

Ya sorry..its 48...on iphone, ha

But i can raise temp...not a big deal and its total darkness

Any beers up there in Maine area worth while?

14. Deschutes Abyss 2011
    Deschutes Abyss 2012
    Deschutes Dissident 2012
    Deschutes Jubelale 2011
    Deschutes Jubelale 2012
    DFH 120min IPA (2012)
    Pelican MOAS 2012
    North Coast Barrel Aged Old Rasputin XV
    Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout
    Great Divide Old Ruffian
    Stone Double Bastard
    Pyramid Snow Cap 2011
    Pyramid Snow Cap 2012

The Abyss is a natural for aging. Never had Dissident but that probably is a winner too.
    Jubelale and Snowcap wont benefit from aging one bit.
    MOAS superb choice !
    Along with the 120 min and Old Raspy

15. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

I'll add BCBS if you can get it...
    North Coast Old Stock Ale
    Bell's Third Coast Old Ale
    and maybe Three Philosophers

I've cellared all of these, as well as several of the others mentioned above. It's a lot of fun if you have patience!

16. I like cellaring at 48-51 degrees. Not sure if it makes a huge difference but the thought of slower aging while still aging is appealing to me.

You need a bunch of Lambic in there too. Tilquin is easy to get and I'd throw a few in. I'd also get a couple Cantillon classic Gueuze.

17. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Word...38 was scaring me lol.

Loads of great beer here...though not a ton of stuff I could see cellaring...aside of course from Allagash higher ABV offerings.

18. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

Given that the infamous Stone Vertical just came to a close, I've been thinking of doing my own version of that. I mean buying a bottle of something each year and setting it aside. Then drinking them all in 2023. Eisbock one year, Quad second, Gueze third etc. But since I don't have a cellar with that average 55 temp I'd probably end up with a bunch of ruined beer. :eek:

19. just did 2004 2005 and 2006 Stone IRS and they were phenomenal! Also Old Gaurdian 2004 and Old Crustacean 2004 were both stellar

20. I'll stick to the stouts, for they are my favorite. But as others have mentioned - add in some belgian quads, barleywines, old ales, lambics, and gueuze. Basically anything over 10% abv.

For a guy in California, most of these should be fairly easy to come by . . .and since you already mentioned The Abyss, I'll leave that off the list.
    - Firestone Walker Parabola
    - Alesmith Speedway Stout
    - Stone Imperial Russian Stout

And potentially a bit more difficult for you to obtain, but basically readily available elsewhere:
    - Founders Imperial Stout
    - Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (and variants, if available)
    - Great Divide Yeti (and variants - Espresso, Chocolate, etc)

21. The Yeti beers are quite easy to find in SoCal, with the exception of the barrel aged version.

22. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Some good candidates for aging are: JW Lees Harvest Ale, Thomas Hardy's Ale, North Coast Old Stock, Alaskan Smoked Porter.

23. stx00lax

stx00lax Savant (265) Washington Dec 27, 2009

Your profile says you are 26. If you are aging for 4 years, Adam and doggie claws would be good candidates. Tilquin gueze should also be available around you. Stone IRS and Bigfoot also work. The abyss will be interesting, but if its anything like past vintages will be past it's prime by then.

24. Any of the Allagash Coolships could develop into something interesting, although good luck finding any (although there might be some Resurgam left at the brewery still). I personally would probably also try Interlude and Confluence. On the other hand, I had a well-cellared 2008 bottle of Odyssey a couple weeks ago and was not a fan, and that's the only other regular release I would have said to try just from the ABV/characteristics.

Only thing from Maine I am currently aging besides Coolship Red & Resurgam is Rising Tide Polaris, which was a pretty limited -bal stout release - had a bottle of the 2011 fresh and it was kind of raw. Not sure if it needed MORE time in the barrel, or just some time to chill out. Going to have a bottle of the 2012 tonight and save my other bottle for the 2013 release.