Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by MykelJH, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MykelJH

MykelJH Savant (290) California Aug 3, 2011

Is this gonna be the new M?

2. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

How much M was made? They are making 15 bbls of this. It seems like a lot to be considered ultra rare but I suppose that depends on how much they keg. The beer sounds good though.

3. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

3000?

4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

CAN'T YOU READ MINDS???

To OP: No. No it's not.

5. No beer made now will.hopefully get to Dave or M status. That doesnt mean beers as good or better within style wont be brewed.

6. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

No. But that won't stop people from trying to treat it as if it was.

Photekut likes this.
  7. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

The act of asking the question also answers it.

8. MykelJH

Well looking at trade requests its seemed like it might be. Didn't know what the value of this would be right off the get go

9. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

I hope it doesnt get infected

: /

cosmicevan likes this.
  10. No way bourbon oak barrels > red wine oak barrels, people who think this is going to be the new M are caught in the hype.... Just like bolt cutter was going to be the new king Henry, what a joke.

11. unclekeith

unclekeith Savant (400) Alaska Sep 4, 2012

In a radio interview last month, the PR rep for MS said the 3000 recipe was based on M. Obviously, there will be differences.

From MS Facebook/Twitter:
    3000 is scheduled to be released Jan. 25 in Anchorage at $15/bottle at a meet the brewers event at a local store. When it is released at the brewery, there will be a 6 bottle limit. (Berserker was a 2 bottle limit at the brewery upon release).

aasher likes this.
  12. Yes, it is.
    Hellshire I is also the new Wooden Hell, I have one for trade if anybody's interested.

drewba, cosmicevan, csano and 2 others like this.
  13. MykelJH

Berserker was also distro'd though and 3000 will only be in sold in AK. Probably the reason for the bottle limit differences.

14. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

You're missing my point, the act of asking this question and the pretrades means people are getting their hands on the beer. The reason beers like M or Partridge become so coveted is because nobody thought to do that when they had the chance.

mjl21, OneBeertoRTA, vurt and 4 others like this.
  15. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Will trade you a whole case of BA Old Numbskull

16. Hellshire I is Absolutely Not the new Wooden Hell. Plus, isn't it infected.

17. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Wait wasn't Cherry rye the new M and Kopi Luwak the new Dave?

Goddamnit I am confused.

So 3000 is the new Loerik then, right?

Fuck if I know.

jacob4999, cfrances33 and Penguin3200 like this.
  18. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I thought Barrel Aged Naked Evil was the new M?

rowingbrewer likes this.
  19. unclekeith

unclekeith Savant (400) Alaska Sep 4, 2012

20. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

As such, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve been hit up for obtaining bottles of M. At one point, the beer made news by commanding over $1,540 dollars for a single bottle on eBay. People still rave about the beer today, and somehow the brewery’s three-thousandth batch of beer, simply called 3000, seems to be related to it, at least in hype, although the two are fundamentally different beers.

Both are Belgian barley-wine style ales, although Midnight Sun’s Barb Miller says this might be somewhat of a misnomer. “There really is no such thing as a true Belgian barley wine; they don’t have that style over there, or at least didn’t historically; 3000 is more like a Belgian quadruple with that big, dark, chewy mouthfeel,” she says.

Pre-Trade value torpedoed.

drewba and aasher like this.
  21. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

But Anchorage Barleywine! ISO! So glad I'll be at Toronado Barleywine fest for that monster.

KevSal and MykelJH like this.
  22. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I think I'm more interested in the anchorage barleywine...

KevSal, csano and aasher like this.
  23. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Initiate (0) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

It may be that they are using a Belgian strain of yeast. Sometime "Belgian style" something is used when the only thing Belgian about it is the yeast used.

24. I'm going off what was said about M in the homebrew forums, a clone that I hope to one day attempt, but apparently M has 4 different strains of yeast used 2 of them Belgian. I read somewhere of 3000 is using 2 different strains, so with that I would say it could be more then half of what M is.

25. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

say what you will about M and Dave, but don't you dare bring Loerik into this discussion. ah....Loerik...

GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  26. Loerik was brilliant, but M is the one beer from last weekend that I'm really hoping to try again. Other than the ones I've already made arrangements for. :cool:

cosmicevan likes this.
  27. Exactly.

If me and Overlord only held on to our original MtG cards we would be freaking rich. Who would of thought being a nerd in 1993 could have led to retirement 20 years later.

Hugonaut13 likes this.
  28. I think that's even rarer than a hellifino.

29. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) California Jun 28, 2007

I sold about fifteen moxes, three or four black lotuses, and a whole fuckton of Arabian nights (including eight Juzam Djinns) for a grand total of like 500.00.

Oops.

One of my old friends just shelved his cards. He asked me to come figure out what his three or four old decks might be worth. Each one had at least four moxes. They were worth more than his cars, combined. Probably 40-60k, altogether ... and that might be understating it. I was sorely tempted. Sorely. But he was watching too carefully.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  30. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

I have nearly worthless complete Pokemon card sets and very rare cards sitting in my closet, asking me why I didn't sell them for 4-5 figures 10 years ago. Hindsight is a bitch

31. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

So you're saying I should go find where I put all my MtG cards?

rowingbrewer and Brez07 like this.
  32. I may have to go through my cards to see what i have. I know im a youngster but i did play in middle school so I may have a shot at this early retirement thing