312 Urban Block Party

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by chronie, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Advocate (560) Illinois Apr 23, 2010 Verified

I sincerely hope you are wrong. There are way too many people that are going to show up wanting to get in without a ticket, and if they distributed 6000 tickets as I heard, theres just no way they can get more people in there reasonably.

I understand some people are upset they didn't get tickets, but if you live in the or near the city, there have been several opportunities to obtain tickets for free (or with the purchase of a BCBS which imo is the better deal). There have been online options too. Those complaining are too lazy to go get tickets, from out of town and didnt win online, or just too stupid to understand how the tickets worked. I don't want these people attempting to get in for free and ruining the party for the rest of us.

leftyhyzer likes this.
  2. Dontcounttoday

Its not exactly residential. There are like 4 houses on the street, but mostly big open lots and warehouses. I am guessing they won't let people in without tickets regardless. Maybe if you decided it worth your time to call the police to force them to give you entry..

3. Did some searching on the City of Chicago's website and found the 2012 Special Events Resource Guide. States on the 1st page: No fee may be charged for admission to the public way in connection with any special event. A financial donation may be requested. Signs must be posted at all entry points that clearly state that the donation is voluntary.

For normal street fests I would say you are a dick for not donating, but for something they are trying to limit access to I say go right in if you so desire (pay the donation if there is one still though;) ).

4. mdomask

mdomask Savant (370) Illinois May 27, 2012

Go in all you want. Doesn't mean they need to actually serve you anything.

5. thetomG

thetomG Savant (440) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

There can be an issue of safety if too many people show up though - for instance this year at West Fest (or was it DoDivision?) and at the Mad Decent Block Party at a certain point they reached "capacity" and were not letting any more people in. So I think public safety likely takes precedence in these matters.

Either way its safe to say that an organization as big as Goose has talked to the proper people, obtained proper permits, etc and just generally knows what they're doing. I HIGHLY doubt anyone will just be able to walk up and join the festivities...

6. Dontcounttoday

AH I forgot about wristbands! Yes they will probably not stop anyone from entering, but will not serve you without a wristband. If you attended with friends and without a ticket though, I am sure they could get you beer.

Also they need not post any donation sign on the entries because they are not charging to enter.

If they did give out the 6000 tickets I heard, that is probably capacity, so perhaps they do not have to let anyone else in period.

7. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

I highly doubt that many more than 6k people will show up to this.

You have to figure that a majority of the people will be there for the concert -- The last time St Vincent was in town they played the Metro, which holds 1200 people. Granted, they are picking up some steam with the David Byrne thing, but I am skeptical they can draw a crowd much bigger than 5k for a headlining show. And that's being pretty generous because it's free. Not to mention, they're playing a Chicago show again in a few weeks.

And how many beer nerds will show up clamoring for BCS? Much more than 1k? 1500 maybe?

I could be completely off base here, but I wouldn't be worried too worried about over crowding.

8. ravot

ravot Advocate (515) Illinois Mar 20, 2012 Verified

or just

mjohnson17 likes this.
  9. Askchucky

Askchucky Savant (260) Illinois May 2, 2011

Would love to get a hold off 1 or 2 tix, if anyone has extra. Russian River Damnation for your troubles.

10. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Savant (260) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Are they serving some other beers besides 312? I sure hope they are if you guys are all jizzing your pants for tickets.

11. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

nope, 312 only

just came three hundred and twelve times in anticipation

zieglemt likes this.
  12. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

To dark magnetos point, are they serving anything good? Most events sponsored by do312 feature 312 and green line. I'm goin for the music, if I stumble into a secret location and mr laffler is servIng a secret bcbs made of the tears of resurrected Beatles, I'll be pumped but I've seen nothing regarding special brews.

13. Dontcounttoday

From the GI rep at Double Doors ticket event, several new beers will debut, several "rare" beers will be tapped, and Bourbon County Stout (2012 presumably) will be ladled directly out of the barrel it is aged in. Should be great considering the majority of people there won't care about these beers, just there for the festivities and music.

da_bulls and ravot like this.
  14. burica2020

Oh shit I stand corrected, I guess liking indie rock a ton pays off this time. Ya this might be readily available as most of the crowd hunts for a 20oz 312 between sets.

15. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (285) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

I might potentially give my tickets away, but it would be last-minute... Sorry if that is of no help.

otrejo likes this.
  16. I dunno, I would imagine a very large amount of people will be wanting some bourbon county. Considering how quickly crowds have jumped on bars in the city that have it, I would imagine any chance for bourbon county is gonna draw a big crowd. But here is to hoping there is a very large St. Vincent fan base.

17. Dontcounttoday

At Hackney's for the GI tap takeover, talking to the rep. She's trying to get tickets for the Block Party to hand out. Not for sure yet but wanted to pass it on. If she does get them I'll update

18. Dontcounttoday

And sweet she got tickets!

19. Askchucky

Anyone got 1 tix? Just need 1!

20. ravot

ravot Advocate (515) Illinois Mar 20, 2012 Verified

i should have one..

21. Damn... just logged on to post that it looks like a hurricane will be hitting the block party, see y'all there in my poncho.

22. PeteB28

PeteB28 Disciple (55) Illinois Oct 21, 2011

As for crashing the party without tickets because it's a 'Block Party" -

"Enter through the barrel warehouse Wood St. door, 5p - 10p."

My take is this is on private property and tickets will be required.

That said, I have two extras, BM me if you need them.

23. I have 2 extra as well. If you can meet me they are yours.

24. Maction

Maction Savant (445) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

In! Haven't seen any wales yet. Say hi if you see me

[​IMG]

25. TravisMBinns

TravisMBinns Savant (260) Illinois Apr 30, 2011 Verified

I have two tickets available at the restaurant I manage. I'll be available until 730pm (then I'm heading to Goose). First person to stop by can have them. The restaurant is The Happ Inn, in Northfield. It's right off the Willow Road West exit on the Edens. Ask for Travis.

bertram likes this.
  26. burica2020

Bourbon county with raspberries for 3 bucks out of the barrel. And all three Fulton and woods on tap. Also brewers special is experimental lemongrass saison which is unreal. All for 3 bucks a pour.

27. Maction

Edit: they're pouring 2010 rye stout w/ raspberries (a Bramble test batch?)

[​IMG]

28. Maction

Yes! Indira is delicious.

29. burica2020

Just tapped a soured 312 with Brett, deceptively delicious

leftyhyzer likes this.
  30. Dontcounttoday

312 with Brett
    Raspberry BCBS
    Raspberry BCBS with coffee
    Demolition with ginger
    Indira

This has been the special lineup thus far. Also Black Mission and Gran Gas. Pretty awesome night.

Oh, also music.

31. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Savant (250) Indiana Jul 10, 2012

Music? Havent gone that way yet. waiting for then to put cherries in the coffee,rasberry 2010 bcs

32. Maction

Both so delicious.

33. Dontcounttoday

Update! Skully and BCBS with Ancho Chilies!

34. Dontcounttoday

New update! A nameless pink peppercorn Saison and Nightstalker!

35. Dontcounttoday

Nightstalker was bad. Tap was cut off. Bourbon County Pear up now

36. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (305) Illinois Feb 15, 2012 Verified

raspberries, anchos, and pears oh my!! For $3/pour best deal in town

37. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (490) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

seriously great event. here's my post from a different message board.

Just came back from the Goose Island 312 Urban Block Party. Showed up at 8pm, missed out on a bunch of rare tappings, but still got to try:

- BCBS Coffee blended with BCBS Bramble. Would rather have had one or the other, but still quite nice.
    - 312 with brett. It tasted like...312 with brett. I'm glad these guys have the sense of humour to do something like that. Wasn't bad to drink at least.
    - "4 year old saison". I don't know what this was, but it was a saison that was four years old and was pretty good. Didn't detect any crazy flavourings.
    - 2010 Night Stalker. Tasted like what I remember from the vintage tasting a couple months ago. Not bad, but not amazing.
    - Sour Matilda. I didn't get a lot of info on this, but it tasted like (in a good way) a lacto/pedio infected batch of Matilda.
    - Gran Gas (belgian ale with spruce tips and lingonberries). I was absolutely floored at how balanced and delicious this was. Given the aforementioned flavours I expected it to be a bomb of either, but it was so good that my wife (who hates most beer) took my cup away from me and downed it.
    - BCBS with ancho chiles, which I got two pours of and was probably the highlight. The chile flavour was perfectly balanced with the BCBS - a nice aftertone rather than a punch in the face like a lot of chile beers. They knocked this one out of the park.
    - BCBS with pears. In contrast to ancho, this was a disappointment - there was zero pear flavour. That didn't matter though, BCBS is so good by itself that it's hard make a bad variant.

38. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (355) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Cheers to Goose Island, John Laffler and all those invloved in the 312 Urban block party! You guys put together a great event. $3 a pour of Bcbs 2010 with raspberries which I got 5 of becuase there was no line. The hit of the night was Sour Pere Jacques ! It was soo damn good and everyone around us agreed. The mix of 2010 bcbs raspberry and coffee was pretty damn tasty as well. Well done Gosse Island and it was great to stop and talk to John Hall who spent time talking to loyal beer lovers. Cheers!

39. burica2020

Did anyone get the wine barrel aged saison with strawberries? It kicked quick but it was delicious. Holy shit was that a great event and st Vincent was fuckin awesome. Perfect crowd size too. Great event, thank you goose!!

40. Askchucky

Great event. Great music, although I left earlier in the St. Vincent set. Food was great, beer was awesome.