32 Ounces of Lagunitas Sucks

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hopstetrician, Feb 26, 2013.

1. hopstetrician

hopstetrician Initiate (0) New York Mar 22, 2012

So maybe this is old news. I know there's been lots of rumors and tweets, but I spoke with Tony's childhood friend/partner at a local Chicagoland beer tasting this Saturday. He confirmed Sucks will soon be available year round in a 32 oz. format.

What you think about this? I guess I'm pumped it's gonna be year round, but not sure how I feel on the giant bomber. Although the silver lining could be the way Lagunitas prices bombers. Not uncommon to see them under $5 in the Midwest and even significantly cheaper on the West coast.

Sidenote: When I questioned him about details regarding the Undercover Shutdown story, he chuckled and asked if I could imagine a joint constructed with a sushi rolling mat. I love Lagunitas.

2. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

It's kinda a bummer that it will be in large format... If only it could be a 22oz, but 32? Maybe a bit too much. Who knows. Maybe that will be the perfect size for an evening, who knows till we see em. I'm not complaining, I'll take that as opposed to a limited supply a short time of the year.

Alextricity and Willbfun like this.
  3. I'm fine with it as long as its offered year round in six packs as well. I love the beer, but I don't want to be forced to make a commitment to 4 beers at once. In all honesty, I'd rather Sucks remain a limited release than go year round in 32 oz bottles. This way I know its fresh and not collecting dust.

Bitter_Echo, AdamP, JxExM and 3 others like this.
  4. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

It'll be in the cheap beer cooler alongside the Corona quarts. A terrible format. I refuse to buy any beer packaged in it.

5. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I am so excited for this, you don't even know.

Nothing will be better than rolling up to a party with two 32s of Sucks, one for each hand.

6. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

complaints from me? none. Sure, I'd prefer 6/pks. that being said, sucks by the pool in july? Priceless!

jglowe77, SadMachine, JxExM and 2 others like this.
  7. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

I'll buy the big boys. I have a long train ride home every night. About 32 ounces long to be precise.

8. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Ill probably just stick to the 6 packs

9. I averaged about three of these a night for the past six weeks. Bring on the jugs 'o sucks

10. Would prefer year round 6'ers but am still fired up that I can get a huge sux whenever!

SadMachine and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  11. It's just two pints. I get 32 oz growlers for myself all the time. A big stout might be challenging depending on the night but I could crush a DIPA like that pretty regularly.

12. alexsergio

alexsergio Savant (365) New York Mar 7, 2011

sure, id prefer year round 6 packs but the "year round" is more important than the "6 pack" imo

13. 32's sound good to me...considering If I bring a 22, or 32 in this case I intend to share it with 2-3 others. 32 oz will go a bit further, but honestly I wish it was going to be released in sixers as well. None the less, Sucks will be my go to beer when everything else seems to suck.

Zimm likes this.
  14. hshewsf

hshewsf Disciple (60) California Jan 25, 2013

I would love to have a fresh Sucks on a hot Summer day. Hopefully it won't be hard to find fresh ones instead of ones that just sit on shelves. Maybe 2 semi annual limited releases per year would be better?

Dools9 likes this.
  15. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I want to stop hearing rumors. I want to play Edward 32-sucks-hands stat!

16. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

Yay, more for me.

17. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (500) Texas Feb 21, 2011

They should just cut the 32oz bs, and put it next to Heiniken and New Castle Mini kegs!!

Zimm, ESeab, HoppyPhillyPhan and 4 others like this.
  18. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,010) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I just want it to be fresh when I see it on the shelves.

Rekrule, jgluck, jglowe77 and 3 others like this.
  19. I will just purchase the 32 ozers 6 at a time. Now i have a six pack. Problem solved.

Bitter_Echo, Prh27, JohnnyMc and 13 others like this.
  20. The limited semi annual release sounds like a good idea. Maybe like December-March in 32's and then again from July-September in sixers. At least this way, it will be fresh. Its hard enough as it is to find fresh Hop Stoopid 22's in my area. The last stoopid bottles I came across a couple weeks ago were from early November, and they had just arrived at the store.

21. I like the 32 oz. format. I frequently utilize the 32 oz. growler fill at WF. Two pints is perfect for personal consumption. Then again, those fills are usually only $5-6. I wonder what the price point will be for Sucks. I hope I don't have to pay a few dollars extra for the gimmick bottle size.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  22. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Should have done 40oz ... paper bag, optional.

23. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yes, mini-kegs of it would be pretty damn awesome.

Prh27, budgood1 and Zaphog like this.
  24. like most i'm just happy we'll have it year round, and will certainly still buy the delicious brew whether it's in the 32oz format or 6 packs or whatever else they decide to put out. i just don't get the rationale behind it. at least for me - someone who likes to jump from beer to beer - 12oz are almost always the preferred format (you can always open another one). curious as to the reasoning behind releasing this as a 32oz.

25. I really feel like an outcast with this beer. Has anyone heard of a bad batch or shipment? I got a 6 pack when it first got released and had 2, the 2nd I couldn't finish because I really disliked it so I gave the rest of the pack to my roommate who is also really into beer and he also couldn't get through his 2nd so we ended up giving the last 2 away the next time people came to the house. Should I try it again or is it just one of those instances where my taste buds disagree with 95% of the reviews on BA?

26. TypsiYpsi

TypsiYpsi Savant (340) Michigan Jul 27, 2012

The reasoning is simple....marketing. and its working because were all talking about it!

digdug1810 likes this.
  27. one of my favorite beers year round? check.
    in a big ole 32 ounce bottle too? check.

sign me up :D

SanFranJake likes this.
  28. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

It's even simpler for me. It's a world-class beer in the container of malt liquors. That's just fucking awesome, no matter how you slice it.

jgluck, FriarTuckInLuck and JDizzle like this.
  29. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

A quart of Sucks is like two girls at the same time.

30. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Ummm... My guess is they will not leave you with a choice.

31. i'll just buy it when i go to a friends house playing cod zombies:D

32. lol. no. no no eets not the same (consuela voice)

scootsmal likes this.
  33. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

It has a decent rye malt presence in it, which leaves a different type of bitterness in the mouth compared to a hop bitterness. Perhaps that is what you guys are tasting.

34. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

superman no here.

frankthetank86 likes this.
  35. 32 oz is not too much you Nancies

I would also like to see Sucks in 64oz OG bottles...

36. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (550) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

But it will age so well in the larger format ;)

I'm with you. I will not be buying this beer, I will look for empties for home brew however.

beertunes likes this.
  37. Would prefer six packs. If they put out year round six packs I'd most likely be buying them quite often. 32 ounce bottles? Sure I'll buy them every once and a while only because I really do like Sucks but I'm not a fan of a 32 ounce bottle.

Dools9 likes this.
  38. ill take it any way i can get it this beer is awesome

BSW and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  39. Let's not forget that Sucks is very affordable for the quality of beer it is. I would bet the price per ounce in a 32 ounce is going to outweigh the price of a six pack.....if that's the case I hope the make it close and not try to screw us.

Prh27 likes this.
  40. I am without a doubt going to be partaking of this format.