1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

32 Ounces of Lagunitas Sucks

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hopstetrician, Feb 26, 2013.

1. as long as they date the container, I don't care if they package it in milk cartons...

loafinaround likes this.
  2. Tuey13

Tuey13 Aficionado (230) Illinois Aug 23, 2006

I'd prefer 6'ers... but hell.... if it's available year round i'll take whatever they offer it in. ;-)

3. Epic game of Edward Beer Hands. I love it and will drink the crap out of it ny way I can get it... Large bottle/small bottle - fresh or a couple months old...

4. Tony Magee (under his "DogTown" BA screen name) confirmed it here on the BA forums nearly two months ago, as well.

They also posted a photo on Facebook of a van with the steinie quart bottle graphic (which was once posted on BA, but apparently the thread was deleted because it was a duplicate topic, as this one might be).

[​IMG]

5. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (310) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

I really wish they were 40s though...would def up the anny on "Edward 40-hands" that's for sure...

6. Cant. f'ing. wait.
    Considering I almost always drink multiple 12-ouncers of this at a time, I welcome this with open arms. Saves me a trip to the fridge.

checktherhyme and gcamparone like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

As long as Sucks becomes year round I don't care what vessel size it is in, I will be buying.

gwdavis, KevinGordon and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  8. I wish they came in screw tops. Everyone wants to ape the 40 style, but the convenience of the screw top is what sets 40's apart from just buying two tall boys.

9. Buy a larger glass... problem solved! ;)

loafinaround likes this.
  10. The only down side I see is the number of people complaining because they walked out of the store holding the paper bag from the top so the bag ripped and now thier beer is all over the parking lot.

11. I think the price per oz. will be significantly more than it is for the 12oz. bottles. At my local store it goes for $8.99/sixer, so ~12.5 cents/oz. I imagine it will be somewhere between $6-8 for the 32oz., so ~.19-25 cents/oz. (Maximus/Stoopid are $6.99 at this store). If that is the case I'll probably just go for Sumpin' Sumpin' if I want Lagunitas.

12. If you can't handle the 32 just buy the sixer! This is an awesome idea!!!! Saves refrigerator trips too

13. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

Is anyone else concerned about freshness?
    I don't mind this comical size, I just feel as if it won't sell quickly enough and will sit on shelves, gathering dust.
    Sucks is made to be consumed FRESH!

Dools9 likes this.
  14. BomberGuy likes this.
  15. gwdavis and arniepnminne like this.
  16. DogTown

DogTown Savant (260) California May 17, 2006

"It's a world-class beer in the container of malt liquors."

We have a winner! This is why...

Maybe irony does not belong in beer.

While we contemplate the relative merits of a tiny bit of liquid, there is also "
    The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going at 25,000 miles per hour around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.” ....
    In the words of a master...

Cheers!

hopstetrician, RWNay, Crunkle and 2 others like this.
  17. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

I can appreciate the premise and I think most of us that love this beer will honestly take it in any form that you will offer it year-round. Which brings the question, can you confirm this will be year-round and when will it be available? Thanks for creating such a badass brew!

18. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

Basically there's no upside to the larger format aside from novelty. All practical reasons (price, flexibility in how much to consume) point to 12oz bottles as the better option.

MeBeerGood likes this.
  19. That's their own damn fault for not knowing how to brown bag it.

Movies in the park on date night just got better because bombers aren't nearly enough, and sixers are generally too much.

20. DogTown

"Basically there's no upside to the larger format..." You're wrong...Like kegs and 22's, the volume to surface area ratios will improve stability, O2 pick-up during packaging in larger formats is better, it's way greener than all of that cardboard, it only requires one crown and one label. I could go on.

Don't buy it if you don't like beer that much. Maybe some Coronitas are a better choice. This is a sharing concept, like a growler.

Timing? I'm waiting on the change parts for the filler (maybe 90 days) and the glass molds to be completed and the ware produced. I can't really say exactly when since I've been focused on Chicago, but it'll be this summer sometime. It's gong to be fun.

Chairs!

21. DogTown

....and you just watch; in a few years LOTS of microbreweries (I'm getting to hate the word 'craft') everywhere will be doing 32's and 40's and 60's and who knows the fukwhat else...

BrettHead likes this.
  22. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Don't forget the duct tape

23. Good. More for me.

24. I buy 32 oz. growlers all the time and have no problem finishing them. I welcome 32 oz. bottles of Sucks since it will keep in the fridge longer than a growler and the beer is soooooo good.

25. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

I concede that it's better for the environment due to a more efficient product-to-packaging ratio. That is an upside.

"Don't buy it if you don't like beer that much. Maybe some Coronitas are a better choice." is a pretty condescending thing to say to a customer who likes beer enough to buy yours regularly. I will not be buying these 32oz bottles but I may still consider buying your great beers in 12oz format ;) . Cheers!

26. I will echo most people's sentiments here that I'd prefer year-round 6-packs, but I'm not going to turn down the opportunity to buy Sucks just because the format isn't exactly what I'd prefer! It's such a good beer, and it drinks incredibly easy. Sure you won't be able to pop a 32oz bottle open on a night where you just want to have 1-2 beers after work to chill out, but oh well. Save it for the weekend and have a blast!

27. DogTown

Mr. Zestef99- I agree with you, save your money for things you are enthusiastic about.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  28. MarcM

MarcM Aficionado (125) California Aug 19, 2011

I've gone through 7 sixers and two were bad. Both were dated Jan. 2.

29. Tony (DogTown) has posted a fair bit on a number of threads about his views on the 32 ounce package size. I certainly don’t begrudge him; as a business owner he has the right to make business decisions. What I have difficulty understanding is why he doesn’t want to listen to his customers and why he is inclined to be rude in replying to their comments. In a past thread (which got deleted?) he actually referred to one of the BAs who posted as being a knucklehead. I am not a brewer owner but it seems to me that it behooves the President of a brewery to listen to their customers and treat them with some respect.

As others have posted, I would prefer to purchase my Sucks in a six-pack of 12 ounce bottles. Drinking 32 ounces of 7.85% ABV beer is simply too much for me to consume in a single sitting. I appreciate the ‘argument’ that a 32 ounce bottle is a good size for sharing a beer but I don’t always have somebody to share a beer.

It seems to me that producing Sucks in multiple package sizes (e.g., 32 ounce bottles and 12 ounce bottles) would be a good idea. For those folks who like larger format bottles they can purchase the 32 ounce bottles. For others who prefer the smaller format bottles they can purchase 12 ounce bottles. This is the ultimate win-win.

I recognize that Tony may be compelled to reply to this post with a statement that I am a knucklehead (or similar disparaging term) but I would really hope that he would want to listen to what his customers have to say. I purchased a case of Sucks (12 ounce bottles) about five weeks ago and I would like to continue being a customer of Lagunitas Sucks beers (purchasing beers in 12 ounce bottles).

Cheers!

30. that was my point. seen posts where someone walks out holding the bag by the top it rips ,beer breaks and they feel it's the stores duty to replace the beer.

31. agreed, you can never have too much sucks ! also +1 for the in bruges avatar ;)

32. This post is incredible. +1!

davey101 likes this.
  33. As long as it's still in 6'ers I'm fine with it. If it's exclusively in 32's I probably wont' buy it often because sometimes I just want "a" beer, not three.

34. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I posted a picture of the truck before (deleted thread)...

[​IMG]
    but from the looks of the picture on the van, the cap is going to be a pry-off.​
    I'd prefer it to be a screw cap like the quarts of Bud I used to drink when I was in high school (early 70's).​

35. Thanks, that's definitely good to know. I know everyone has different taste but the ones I had tasted really terrible. I'll have to give it another shot.

36. I bought the returnable steinie quarts by the case, which used pry-offs, and I used a couple of beer-logoed plastic "re-cappers" in between pours...
    [​IMG]
    (as shown - not to size - in a COCA-COLA version. Mine were from Jax and Reading Beers. Altho' they long ago turned brittle, cracked and are now unusable. Might be a nice promo item for Langunitas ;) - they could even hang 'em from the neck...)

beertunes and FishPondManager like this.
  37. Don't bother. I've tried it a few times. It's good, but I'll never understand the fervent love it gets here. And I'm a huge Lagunitas fan.

That said, I like it enough to drink a 32oz bottle once, because it sounds fun. And I might do it more than once, because 32oz bottles make bottling home brew easier.

38. I can see freshness taking a hit with the 32 oz bottles in some cases. Its supposed to be going in the malt liquor cooler doors right? But who's guaranteeing that? Some store managers are just going to put these on the bomber shelf at room temp where I can just see them collecting dust for months. Also, the limited release pretty much guarantees that the beer will be at least somewhat fresh whereas if the beer is always available, people are less likely to snatch it up quickly if they know it will be there all the time. Just think if Sumpin' Sumpin' was a limited Summer release for example. People would pounce on it because they know it won't be around for too long. Its a funny idea and a great idea from a marketing perspective. I love Lagunitas' sense of humor, but freshness/convenience/price wise, its not the most wise choice imo.

39. rails

rails Aficionado (170) California Nov 8, 2012

never thought of it that way. I'll be buying a ton I hate bottling home brew.

40. Keep it in the $5 range and it is in line with 6 packs. More than that and I do not get it more than once in a blue moon. Should it not be less money to put almost three beers in one bottle. Never figured out why 6 packs are the cheapest route. Even growler fills cost more for a 64 fill than a six pack of 72oz. Crazy.

Enjoy