1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

32 Ounces of Lagunitas Sucks

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hopstetrician, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

only 32 oz? damn, I was hoping to play edward 40 hands.

2. Even if it's $7 that is still cheaper than a lot of bombers and it's damn near better than 99% of all bombers in the style.

I'm popping these like tic tacs

3. Gilmango

Gilmango Savant (305) California Jul 17, 2007

Yes, that was also one of the stated reasons Lagunitas is bottling in these great 32 oz. bottles, in a nod to homebrewers who will re-use these bottles for years. (I have a case of 32 bottles in the really solid old carboard case that I found which makes bottling a snap (12 bottles hold 3 gallons!), the case says Jax).

4. And at 32oz its 50% more beer than the bombers too. People are happy to pay $5 or $6 for Pliny and considering its in a 500ml bottle, you are paying a similar price for what amounts to a little more than half the amount (of what Sucks will be). I like the idea of the different format and think Lagunitas is #1 when it comes to a quality/price ratio. If you only want 12oz of beer there are plenty of other alternatives.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  5. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

I could drink two or three of those big boys in an evening. Then go work that part time overnight air traffic controller job I got.

beerindaglass, jaIsPoAn and Shmuffalo like this.
  6. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Guess their going Yuengling style...

7. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Can't wait to tell my wife I'm just having one beer before we go over to her friends house.

8. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

soughtbygod likes this.
  9. uphrates

uphrates Disciple (65) California May 29, 2010

You might wanna check your math there.

10. tlacott1

tlacott1 Aficionado (130) Maryland Jun 16, 2012

They are just doing it to be funny and personally, I find it hilarious! Bring it on!!!

11. Awesome...I imagine these will be plentiful in Chicago once the brewery is operational.

12. DogTown

DogTown Savant (260) California May 17, 2006

Hi again... On the pricing thing, it'll hafta be more than a 12oz six pack's per oz price. The reason is pretty basic; We sell the six packs for just about what they cost us to make after all of the freight is added in. The dry hop bill is just a very expensive ingredient when added so late in the fermentation and then shipped all over the country. We originally priced it along with our other seasonals, which aren't year-round, so the margin thing isn't such a big problem. In part, doing the 32's allows us to bring in a little more dough on a batch without having to go to those high six-pack prices. If we were much smaller, we'd hafta price it like that, but we aren't anymore so I don't wanna be that way if there's another way; and the 32's are that way. Lots'a sides to every decision...

hopstetrician likes this.
  13. I'll be more exact. A 32oz bottle is 40% (not 50%)more beer than a bomber vessel. And a I do think the 500ml reference was correct as 500ml (16.9oz) is a "little more than half" (52.8%) of the 320z bottle. Damn, these 1st time posters really hold your feet to the fire!!!

rails likes this.
  14. I'm lost as to why it's so tough to down 32 oz of Sucks, but it will be cool to down 32 oz of homebrew packaged in recycled Sucks bottles.

MostlyNorwegian and TongoRad like this.
  15. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 13, 2008

Stupid.

16. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Looks like this will join Two Hearted in my fridge... on the shelf labeled "year round"

17. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

or just use a gavage and pour directly from the bottle. That's what I'll do.

18. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

I will buy whatever format the Sucks comes in. Its better to share 16oz with a friend anyway.

19. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

It's probably easier to guarantee fresh bottles on the shelves with the bombers vs. 6 packs. Lagunitas bombers are an almost unreasonably low price given the quality, so they move faster than the 6 packs--at least in my area. The 6 packs move but Not as fast. Also, wouldn't the batch sizes be smaller?

20. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I will be keeping those in stock in the beer fridge for sure.

It's roughly 3 beers at a shot. I could drink 3 of those easily, and would enjoy every bit of it. So yes. Please, and now. I will buy 6 of them, and would essentially drink a 6 pack a week, and be content.

21. I can imagine that these 32ozer's are going to be a hit for the folks who have to take the Metra on out to exurbia. And yeah. Bottling homebrew in 32 oz bottles is really just going to, uh. Suck.

JuniperJesus likes this.
  22. DFH did that already, right?

23. Bell's has the mini keg market cornered, IMO, in terms of the quality and price combination.

24. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

I'm the winner! Does this mean I get a lifetime supply of Sucks? :D