1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

366 days of reckoning

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by MrKennedy, Jul 10, 2012.

1. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

2. spicelab

spicelab Savant (435) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Irritatingly skewed to fit with mainstream ignorance and prejudices, but has some interesting / amusing bits.

Good to know that all our reviews are meaningless;)

MrKennedy likes this.
  3. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

The guy is a moron.

4. dansmcd

dansmcd Savant (425) Australia Dec 19, 2010

A couple of ignoramuses trumpeting uninformed opinions and making fools of themselves.

5. Lukie

His comment about Warner's at the Bay is all you need to know about the guy, really.

6. He's trying to have quantity, not quality. By drinking all that beer, they're bound to find out that they're tastes have developed and they're done with terrible beer.

7. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

The best comment was

"Camperdown Cellars has been great, they had the Little Creatures single batch beers recently and the Mikeller/Mountain Goat Crossbreed. Ever tried Redoak's Organic Pale Ale? I had one of those that tasted so weird I thought it must have gone off in the bottle. It was sour. Very strange."
    oh and the "Sierra Nevada tastes like sucking on pine cones". These noobs need to get some real hops.

8. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

I am intrigued by this Wood and Stone Pacific Ale he claims to have drunk.

You do realise it's up to you Sydney boys to write letters etc to the paper to counteract these uninformed opinions...

9. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Pathetic article. Even if it is in the lifestyle section. All they needed to do was go to Beer Cartel or Platinum in Sydney, driven the 90 minutes to Warners or the couple of hours to Plonk to get the beers they needed in a single day. Alternatively, if that was too difficult, I'm sure mail order from Slowbeer, IBS or Purvis would have worked just fine. What idiots!

10. Lukie

But that is where you are wrong. That are going to Warners that boasts over 1000 beers, which really means they will find a dozen or so they haven't tried.

These guys are beer kings... nay! NAY! BEER GODS.

dansmcd likes this.
  11. mungus

mungus Savant (270) Australia Oct 19, 2010

Sierra Nevada's insanely bitter Torpedo IPA is like chewing two Panadols while drinking

12. danieelol

someone should send them Ultramate

dgilks likes this.
  13. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (685) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Good idea.

14. I'm with one of the guys who commented in the Herald. That'll be two more guys who will never drink macros again. Ever. Two more BAs in effect.

Or they are indeed morons.....

15. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Wow, tough crowd.

I say good for them. Obviously they will have their own opinion about most beer, and many of us may not agree. But to try that many new beers, coming from what I suspect is pretty low exposure, that quickly, of course it would be overwhelming. They will hardly have time to stop and think, and their rules don't seem to allow going back and retrying something interesting (even if they didn't quite like it).

After another six months a lot can change. They can either give up and go back to their usual, or maybe continue to seek out new beer, or maybe they'll come around to Torpedo and drink that full time. Whatever they choose, good luck to them.

16. Lukie

I was put off by their arrogant attitude.

17. Hardly much of a challenge!?!

Never had any Aussie beers (other than the macro crap and even then in desparation whilst I was still a teenager!)

So is Coopers sparkling better than 'cloudy dross' from Deutschland ? I see it gets an 81/good score on BA.

I can sense the arrogance or perhaps more so ignorance "Brew Dog - Scottish beers that the Scots haven't heard of !) Errr ... 2 or 3 of their beers are available in 3 of the 5 biggest UK supermarkets including the big 2 (Tesco/Sainsburys) !!! I think some Scots may have noticed this !

Friend of mine used to set himself an annual challenge of 1,000 pints of (new to him) cask ale per year and repeated this successfully over a number of years (circa 2002-6)

No rules on one per day or the likes, he could take 3 or 4 days off, then have 10 in a session etc

18. Yes, I cringed at that too. Clowns.

19. It's hard these days to distinguish between the genuinely clueless and the faux-clueless designed to drive social-media tumult-driven page views. I'd guess the latter, even if it is Sydney. They're clutching at straws, but what good's a brick to a drowning man?

danieelol likes this.
  20. barls

barls Aficionado (175) Australia Nov 15, 2006

twats plain and simple

Ruds likes this.
  21. First point - and the problem with Warners is? Polite gents who work hard?

In a very polite way, I'd agree with the comment on Brew Dog. A BFF worked for them, within coo-eee of the brewery and beyond themajority of pubs refuse to stock it. This is not a criticism or anything otherwise untoward, more so an observation that the 365 guys are not necessarily wrong ... Brew Dog is not like very much in their home turf ...

22. MordeciaFunk

I will be honest Scotty, your post isn't nearly as full of hate and odium as I thought it would be. I'm a little upset. :(

Oh well.

23. Lukie

That was the point Scotty. They dismissed Warners like nothing.

24. danieelol

Yer. So much of the SMH content now is just designed to drive controversy and get hundreds of commenters. It's funny how many people never gain the insight that the whole article might just be written purely to incite their anger in the first place.

25. Well I'm sorry if my dismay and disappointment for the lack of support or consideration of local brewers comes across as hatred or odium. For that I apologise.

I am never sure about the SMH's beer writing. A local journo has started the below blog and has regular pieces in the Local Astonisher. http://beerisyourfriend.wordpress.com/ anyways, a bit off subject but there you go ..

26. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

The article was written by one of the people in the photo

27. MordeciaFunk

Don't apologise Scotty. I'm just winding you up. I thought this would of been one of your 'Nantucket Shark' moments. I like reading your angry posts. They're fun.

P.S Welcome back to the badger of honeys.

28. Well I apolgise if they ever seemed angry, they were I thought just making an observation born from dismay and dissapointment ... but given enough red wine and more sillyness I am sure I can 'fire things up' again ...

I re-read the article and did not see what was so special about the project. A real challenge would be to get through each Craft Brewers beer in Australia (keg and bottle) over a year, now that would require some effort ...

29. danieelol

Yer let's not go kidding ourselves here, most of your posts were designed to obnoxiously reinforce the notion that Australians should "put up and shutup" with the frankly mediocre quality of craft available here. Now the floodgates have opened with the increasing stream of superior quality US imports and it's clear that bullshit's not going to fly so you've got a new PR strategy.

30. MordeciaFunk

Sorry to all for opening Pandora's Box.

31. Well no, its all about ones considered approach to these sorts of matters. There are those that only take, but do not give. At least the 366 guys no matter what is thought of them, have started somewhere and are showing there is more to the world that light lager, no matter what base they are starting on.

32. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Have to agree. Read their facebook page. can see they are no longer fans of macro stuff now. 366 days of craft beer only would be a much harder task but I give them credit for going there