1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

38 Degrees Carlsbad is now 83 Degrees

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by sandiego67, Mar 3, 2013.

1. http://i.imgur.com/lBRK7WH.jpg[img]

They are opening Wednesday.
    usofar likes this.
  2. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

We sure they didn't accidentally use a dyslexic contractor?
  3. the photo's just upside down
    ILikeGoodCider likes this.
  4. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

Is 83 degrees the temperature at which craft beer burns?
    stawn, domtronzero and sirtomtom like this.
  5. I'm gonna be in Carlsbad next month for a few days.

Someone sell me on why I should stop at this place? I've never heard of it.
  6. You probably shouldn't. Just go to Pizza Port instead.

"83 degrees" attempted to knock off the name of Los Angeles' 38 Degrees and just put a Carlsbad at the end of it. Fuck them.
  7. Why don't you walk in the doors and try the place next week before you shit all over it? At this point, the owner has made the right choice and changed the name.

If the place is crappy after it opens, then you can go ahead and bitch.
  8. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Props to the owner for changing the name but that name is stupid.
    ILikeGoodCider and nanobrew like this.
  9. You tree huggers should be happy that he decided to recycle the signage instead of dumping a big orange "8" and a big orange "3" in the local landfill.
    albertq17 and HopHead84 like this.
  10. If he figures out a meaning for the 83 degrees, I'll definitely go. :)
  11. Hopefully this place is closed within a few months.
    CraftyRalphie likes this.
  12. teamizm

teamizm Savant (385) California Feb 4, 2005

This is just a bunch of companies that use "83 Degrees" in their company name; it does little to shed any light on "reference". I can name a beer bar Syphillis and you can possibly find other business' that have the word "Syphillis" in their name, but it provides no reference why I named my beer bar Syphillis.
  13. Because it took this long and the 11th hour legal threat to change it shows more about the man's character and business practice that you can tell if it's a duck if it walks and talks like one?
    mrkrispy and DrAwkward82 like this.
  14. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

It's across the street from Pizza Port. Definitely couldn't hurt to take a look in there.
  15. It took less than 30 days to change out his business name, logo. marketing, signage. Sounds like he really dragged his feet.

The story came to light in mid-February.

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/38-degrees-blindsided-by-carlsbad-restaurant-owner/
    albertq17 and tjensen3618 like this.
  16. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Friday was my first time at PP Carlsbad. I had heard this story a few weeks ago but had no idea that the establishment at issue was in such close proximity to PP. I saw the [new 83] sign, it clicked in my head, and I lolled.
    NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  17. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

Couldn't the owner of the Carlsbad location simply change the name to "38 degrees Kelvin"?

Or "38 degrees of Kevin Bacon"?
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  18. Now why would you wish that on somebody trying to open a business??
  19. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

Because the owner tried to snipe an existing (and popular) beer bar's name up north, fully knowing the original owner was dumb enough not to trademark the name. Smart business? maybe. Total slimy asshole move? Completely.

I am all for slimy asshole owners not having a successful craft beer business.
    CraftyRalphie and Obsidian like this.
  20. He changed the name. Sure he changed it to a dumb name but signs are very expensive. He could have easily kept the 38 degrees name if he really wanted to.
    Side note- There are thousands of smiley assholes that have a successful craft beer business lol.
    grandmachine likes this.
  21. I can't wait for his next restaurant to open up - Slater's 51/49...
    blguillen and HopHead84 like this.
  22. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

Slater's 51/49 is nowhere near as tasty as Out N' In Burger.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  23. The most prevalent mention of 83 degrees is a promotional magazine for Tampa, Florida (I am guessing that number refers to their average high temperature or something like that). Maybe he has plans on bringing some Cigar City beers to San Diego!

[snicker]
  24. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

it is the temp at which beer exits your body
    sirtomtom likes this.
  25. Serious hypothermia!
  26. riko

riko Savant (280) California Jan 18, 2008

If only he'd spelled out "thirty eight degrees." Then he could've renamed it "Greedy Heights" or something.
  27. I saw this when I was at PP on Friday. Funny.
  28. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

I live right up the street from this place (and obviously Pizza Port). I'm bummed about how this whole thing went down. We can really use additional interesting options in the neighborhood, and this guy has blown it. I'd be more encouraged if his previous restaurant in this space hadn't been a failure, and if he'd handled this naming issue more professionally. I'll be curious to see what tap handles he's able to get.
  29. It is the same owner as the wine bar, Paon. He has one decent restaurant (Paon) and one failure (The Catch) on his resume. Since he deals in high-end wines, I hope that he figures out the local beer scene.
  30. 395er

^ Yeah, I know. Paon is actually doing well, and though I've only eaten in the lounge, it's well executed. Catch was such an aesthetic nightmare, I'm wondering if they had a consultant for Paon and then tried to go solo. I'm a bit ambivalent about 83 degrees now. I want to support a local biz, but he's making it hard. I wish Compass had a bit better food menu, because their tap list is usually strong and I like the vibe.
  31. CraftyRalphie

CraftyRalphie Initiate (15) Mar 7, 2013

These people first named their first restaurant in Carlsbad (now Paon) Per Se, until they got a similar love letter from Thomas Keller in New York about using the name of his world famous restaurant.

Next, they take the name "Catch" from a seafood restaurant in Santa Monica and place it on their now defunct seafood restaurant in Carlsbad.

You can bet their hopeful use of the name 38 Degrees was of like ingenuity.
  32. CraftyRalphie

CraftyRalphie Initiate (15) Mar 7, 2013

When they opened Paon, they took the chef and the EXACT same menu from another restaurant in San Diego, where one of the Paon partners worked for a long time.
  33. 395er

Damn. Boosting more ideas. Well, 83 degrees has an open banner up, and while driving past I saw what looked like a lot of tap handles through a garage style door open to the street. I'll take a look.
  34. That restaurant would be the WineSellar & Brasserie. I guess this is Mayur Pavagadhi's favorite business model.
  35. 395er

36. I was there last night. It is very similar to the LumberYard in Encinitas and on par with The Compass but with TV's. They will take some business from Cantina Mas Fina, G-Spot and The Compass. They aren't child friendly so the crowds at Pizza Port will probably stay put.