1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

3Beans at $14.99 before taxes..

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AmitC, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (545) New York Sep 21, 2012

I just bought a 4-pack of 12 oz cans of 3beans at 16.04 after taxes here in Indy. Did i pay too much? Or that is what it is going for at other places as well. Is this beer worth more than $4 per can? I am yet to drink it. Will open it tomorrow morning.
  2. $13.99 in South Jersey.

No, it's not worth it. Even if it was line priced with the others, I didn't think it was anything above average.
    CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  3. warrenout330

warrenout330 Aficionado (240) Ohio Oct 19, 2012

I sell it in my store for 12.99 and that's state minimum ....so yah, you got jacked a couple bucks sir. It's good but not 14.99 good, even at 12.99 I question it. Good flavor of coffee and the abv is very well hidden.
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

It doesn't seem completely out of whack with the prices I have seen for the beer.
  5. It's about a buck more than what I pay, so no biggie.

Drink it on the warm side, and don't expect a monster stout type of thing- it's an elegant beer, all things considered. The coffee is from the excellent Stumptown roasters (also of Red Hook, Brooklyn), and is well-represented in the beer.
    SammyJaxxxx and wagenvolks like this.
  6. Dcv

Dcv Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

I don't remember what I paid for my four pack in Michigan, but I think it was a couple dollars less than that. There are at least half a dozen coffee beers I would pick over Three Beans. It is not a bad beer, there are just better coffee beers out there, and for less money.
  7. pjs234

pjs234 Advocate (670) Connecticut Jun 29, 2008

Paid 12.99 in Manchester CT. I really like it and would pay what you paid.
  8. Sam_E

Sam_E Aficionado (175) Ohio Oct 11, 2012

I think i paid $14.99 in NW Ohio. For the price I don't think it was worth the cost, but it wasnt bad overall.
  9. seanchai

seanchai Advocate (520) Virginia May 23, 2009

With all the other coffee/chocolate imperial stouts out there, this was just OK for the price. And I say this as someone who really wanted to like this. A beer like Epic's Big Bad Baptist is far better and a much better value.
  10. saw the price at $13 here and passed.
    smutty33 likes this.
  11. Maybe you can return it. This one was not a favorite for sure. As others have said, lots of coffee beers better and the idea of coffee and chocolate together did not work. Would have been better in my opinion to either make a really good choc beer or really good coffee beers. This is one where 2+2=3.
  12. $12.99/4-pack vs. $12.99 Nugget Nectar... I'll take 3Bean! I think both are way overrated and wouldn't buy either if they were everyday brews at these prices.
    jminch likes this.
  13. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Same price here, definitely not worth it. Had it on draft and it was meh.
  14. Saw a 4 pack and grabbed it. I was shocked when it rung up at 14.99 and didn't find it to live up to the price tag. Good beer, huge caffeine buzz, but nothing spectacular.
  15. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (755) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

I just checked my receipt from when I bought it, and I paid $8.99 here in Columbus for it. Either I got a great deal, or you really got screwed. It's a good brew, but if it they were charging $14.99 for it here, I certainly wouldn't have bought it.
    smutty33 and jminch like this.
  16. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

A little overpriced.
    But let me defend 3 beans. I really liked it. It had potent coffee flavor, but was a lighter style of beer than the normal heavy stout. Refreshing, actually. That being said, I discovered it really should only be drunk at room temp.
  17. Haven't tried this one yet, but sounds like this one might belong in the overpriced brews thread.
  18. jminch

jminch Savant (340) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

8.99 in columbus, and at that price, i'd pay the extra two bucks and get some founders breakfast stout. live and learn.
    smutty33 and bluejacket74 like this.
  19. Sam_E

I think i paid $14.99 lol it was a couple weeks ago so im not 100% sure. But im more than certain it was over $10
  20. bluejacket74

That's still crazy that you're in Ohio and still paid that much for it. I'd guess that most of the beer stores would be within a couple dollars of each other. Hopefully it was closer to $10 than $15 you paid for it!
  21. Sam_E

I'm fairly sure it was $14.99, I seem to remember being shocked at the price at the register. Similar to my surprise at the cost of Revolution Very Mad Cow
    YogiBeer likes this.
  22. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Bought a single for like $3.49. Hands down, I'd rather have a bottle of Smuttynose Baltic Porter for $6.49 a bomber.
    smutty33 and bluejacket74 like this.
  23. bluejacket74

I agree. Not that 3Beans is a bad brew, but I think Smutty Baltic Porter is a great deal for the price!
    smutty33 likes this.
  24. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

$14.99 is too much for a 4 pack, yet if people found it in bombers for $7.50, they'd think that was a good price. Go figure. o_O

I thought it was good, and priced as expected ($11.99 here, I think)
  25. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (385) New York Aug 21, 2012

Too much to pay repeatedly. Not too much to try once.
    tectactoe likes this.
  26. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I think I paid $11.99 here in Texas. If it was $15 I would have grabbed ten fidy instead.
  27. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Same price here. I picked up Palo Santo Marron right next to it
  28. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I'd pay it, that shit is delicious
  29. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

13.99 in NYC and worth every penny. If you don't like this beer you're an insatiable dickfart.
    SammyJaxxxx and TongoRad like this.
  30. I paid $10.99 and felt like I overpaid, thin and lacking in flavor. I haven't been able to crack the last one in my fridge.
  31. What coffee stouts would you all choose that are better than 3 Beans on a cost per ounce basis? I think 3 Beans kills it. Granted I'd rather drink BCBCS, but that's double the cost per ounce.

If you really want a coffee fix, 3 Beans beats the comparable-priced brews (WnB, FBS, etc) in my book.
    ThirstyFace likes this.
  32. ThirstyFace

Wow, that is crazy cheap. I pay that for their regular brews
  33. FBS wins by a mile, though 3-Beans is a Baltic porter or even Wolavers Alta Gracia Porter is better by a long shot IMO
    CloudStrife likes this.
  34. ThirstyFace

I'm with you on this.
    CanConPhilly likes this.
  35. ThirstyFace

I love Wolavers, but regardless, this beer tastes nothing like a Baltic Porter. No thing.
    CloudStrife likes this.
  36. No it tastes like rubbing alcohol
  37. Definitely a mis-classified beer. No idea why it is tagged with this category.
    bluejacket74 likes this.
  38. ThirstyFace

That's your opinion and all, but its a dumb one.
  39. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

Paid $14 a 4 pack. Great coffee taste. 3beans showcases Stumptown cold brewed coffee which I drink almost every morning. Sixpoint nailed what the description said. I don't understand the negative remarks. This isn't trying to be a FBS, BCBS Yeti, etc... This thread reminds me of CCB Cucumber Saison remarks... People didn't like it because it tasted like muddled cucumbers???
    SammyJaxxxx and TongoRad like this.
  40. Well, to be honest, the first one I had was chilled and solvent-like in the beginning. It definitely lost that character as it warmed. The next six or so I had were served just below room temp and didn't have that issue, so I've been pretty adament about suggesting not drinking it cold.

There may be two issues here- serving temp is one of them, and expectations could be another. Like I said above, this is not intended to be a big muscular beer, a characteristic which I find works in its favor. Coming at it expecting that sort of thing will lead to disappointment, I suppose, but I have to give Shane props for doing his own thing no matter what. Just take it on its own terms, don't serve it too cold, and there is something really appealing about the coffee/chocolate character in this beer; it's kind of fresh and pure. Plus it doesn't tend to get overbearing if you decide to pop a second can.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.