1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

3Beans at $14.99 before taxes..

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AmitC, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjheinrichs

jjheinrichs Member

3Beans was $13ish for 48oz of a pretty good baltic porter. Alaskan Baltic was $10 for 22oz. and I didn't enjoy it much. Worth is relative.
    SadMachine likes this.
  2. TheBeerologist

TheBeerologist Member

Tongo, thanks for the useful input, I will drink the last one I have closer to room temp and give it another shot.
    ThirstyFace, thanks for informing me that my opinion is not very intelligent. I will try to have better taste in the future.
  3. mnrider

mnrider Member

I'm pretty sure I saw it for 9.99.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

Definitely- as long as you have another, that makes sense. Here's hoping you get more enjoyment out of it- cheers!

I'll also repeat another thing I've posted about this beer: I really like those dark chocolate-covered espresso bean candies, and that's the very first thing that came to mind when I tasted 3 Beans- almost like the coffee is not processed at all. Plus (some) booze! And no grit in between your teeth!
  5. Noelito76

Noelito76 Member

Where? Only saw it here in NYC for $14.99. In any case, it was okay but for that price I'd go elsewhere for mr stouts/porters. And I happen to like Sixpoint beers.
  6. jebsinger

jebsinger Member

I like the damn stuff... but... thats way to much for thin cans..
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

I believe I paid $13 for mine, so $13 for 48oz of a 10% abv pretty damn delicious coffee porter? I've paid way more for way worse before. I think it is the best beer they put out.
    crushedvol likes this.
  8. JAramini

JAramini Member

You know the book "Unsafe at Any Speed"?

3beans is overpriced at any price. I honestly found it terrible. There are plenty of other options at similar and lower price points that are better.
  9. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Member

Yowza, super not worth the monehs. (very mad cow)
  10. InVinoVeritas

InVinoVeritas Member

Price is high as compared to what it sells elsewhere. However, I doubt that once you try it you'll have any remorse what so ever, Sixpoint really did a great job on this. Keep it quite, but once I tried it, I'd have paid more for sure.
  11. pressedmeat

pressedmeat Member

About right, a little cheaper in New Jersey(by about a buck or two).
  12. dbfp210

dbfp210 Member

I drank one tonight. Not very good cold. Not much flavor at all. Pretty good at room temp. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm glad I bought it.
  13. antzman

antzman Member

I think someone screwed up and priced it at the same price as their regular offerings. Either the store, or the distributor that sold it to them is taking a big loss on this one.
  14. Northlax3

Northlax3 Member

10.99 at a store local to me in NJ.

Also, better than FBS. IMO of course, but i blind tasted them last night and 3Beans won EASILY. much more coffee flavor and a nice chocolate as well. FBS has no Oatmeal.
  15. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

I dont find it expensive. Anyone want to recommend me a cheaper ~10% abv oak aged coffee/chocolate baltic porter? Especially ones with similar quality ingredients?
    crushedvol, SadMachine and YogiBeer like this.
  16. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Member

Heady Topper's $13 for four 16 oz cans. That's my bench mark. Have a hard time paying the same price for fewer ounces, or paying more for the same ounces. When it costs more, and has a lower volume...I won't touch it. I have tried it, and it's most certainly not worth the cost, in my opinion.
  17. SadMachine

SadMachine Member

Considering the expensive ingredients used the price is understandable. The two places I've found it have had it for 12.99 and 13.99, and I enjoyed it enough to seek it out again.
  18. SadMachine

SadMachine Member

I don't think you're considering the cost to the brewer. It is significantly cheaper to brew an IPA (of any type) than a Oak Aged Baltic Porter using high quality coffee, cacao, and romano beans.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  19. kylelenk

kylelenk Member

IMHO Sixpoint is one of the more overpriced breweries out there. It's nice that they're pints but at the same time, I'm usually paying $3.50-$5 a can. 3Beans was a little disappointing in that it was 12oz.
  20. aasher

aasher Member

That's a pricing error. The case cost was almost twice what the regulars cost.
  21. Zbyler

Zbyler Member

$12.99 here at my store in CT
  22. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Member

$13 in vt, I liked it quite a bit and got a few 4 pks. For those looking for similar flavors in a thicker beer, try to find some Peak Mocha Oak aged Stout, that ones certainly not lacking in flavor especially for $6 a bomber.
  23. abkayak

abkayak Member

not impressed w/ 3 bean....like their other stuff more
  24. jageraholic

jageraholic Member

12.49 in western ma. Great beer. Very worth it.
    SadMachine likes this.
  25. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Member

Fifteen bucks is a lot for a 4 pack of beer from a brewery that hasn't really made anything too impressive, imo.
  26. Highbrow

Highbrow Member

just curious what steps you took to have them served *below room temperature?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.