1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

3F Golden Blend

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by adamcarlson28, Feb 23, 2013.

1. So I have acquired a case of 375ml Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend. Is this up there with the best from Cantillon or a notch below? Does it have decent trade value. It was ultra-expensive $25 a 375ml. Thanks guys!
  2. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

It's very good, but I think the price tag limits its traceability. At any rate, the demand for it on the trading scene seems modest at best.
  3. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (435) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

You can order it online in quantity from Begium, so there isn't much trade value. It's really good though. Cheers!

Mike
  4. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I agree. It is good, but I wouldn't expect any crazy offers and wouldn't buy it as trade bait. Someone will want it, but it doesn't seem to be "hot". I paid about 18.5 euros.
  5. The steep pricetag aside, its trade desirability was probably a good deal greater back before Shelton Bros. started importing it stateside - the couple of bottles I own I bought through Etre-Gourmet when acquiring it from Europe was the only way to get it.
    claaark13 likes this.
  6. HenrikO

HenrikO Aficionado (205) Sweden Jun 19, 2011

Well, it _is_ a limited-production beer (only not as limited as most, bottle count is in the 5000s somewhere I think), and it is eventually going to run out as it's not going to be blended again, so trade value may well increase in a few years.

A lot of people rate it very highly. I love sours, but this one's too sour for me - just the wrong side of vinegar.
  7. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Stash it in your cellar and break it out to trade in about 3 years. Or, even better, drink it.
  8. It's been sitting on shelves/stacks of cases for 6+ months around here.
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  9. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

You paid $300 for a case of beer that you've never tried, and basically know nothing about?
  10. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

If I was you, I would be drinking one right now! Trade value is probably not much more than some good limited shelf beers (Cantillon Classic for comparison?), unless you find someone who loves gueuze but can't find it locally. Like someone else said, if you bought it to trade it, there will be more interest in 3+ years.
    I was very excited to grab 2 bottles of it at a store today, I almost bought some when they first sold it in europe and have it shipped so this was awesome. Even though I love me some gueuze, 25$ for a 375 kept me from buying a ton and I'll drink one, save one.
    BTW, whats up with the "Good for at least ten years after bottling date" note on the bottle? I haven't really paid attention to any best by dates on 3fonteinen bottles.
  11. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

I can't endorse this comment enough. Trade value is equal to dollar for dollar shelf beer.
    Bluecane likes this.
  12. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

At least you made the effort to bury the trade value question just a little; props for that!
    vacax likes this.
  13. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Maybe he's speculating hence the thread?
  14. I actually liked the regular oude geuze more than golden blend but that's definitely individual taste.
  15. At $25 a pop, there are still a number sitting on the shelves of a least two or three shops in Boston/Cambridge.
    lucas1801 likes this.
  16. I've had other 3F sours that I enjoyed, just not the golden blend. I am in an area that doesn't see much in the way of great sours so i jumped at the opportunity, also I know sours age well so I'm intent on cellaring the majority of the case. The point of this thread was to get some info on just how unique this beer is. Try to be a little less condescending next time.
  17. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

No, the point was some of those things and also to find what its trade value is. You yourself said it was "ultra-expensive," so you really invited that criticism.
  18. Taste has improved over the past 6 months. I speculate that it will continue to do so. Trade value is still non existent. Open one a year for the next dozen
  19. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

All of those reasons implicitly assume things about the beer that you wouldn't know unless you tried it. In reality you had know idea whether or not you would like it, and had no idea whether or not it would age well. Applying generalizations doesn't remedy the fact that dropping $300 on a beer you've never had before is a very stupid thing to do.

And don't try to sneak your way out of being criticized by appealing to how much you probably would enjoy the beer. You posted this thread in the Beer Trading subforum and asked specifically about the trade "value." Obviously "enjoying" the beer was not what you had in mind when you bought the case.
  20. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

If Golden Blend were $10 a 375 I would bathe in it. There is a pleasant visual for you all on this fine Sunday. Gueuze is best enjoyed in a tub, naked. Or so I am told.
    gklover1, MrKennedy and gpawned like this.
  21. Ohh my, I hope they let me return this now that I know it's not worth anything for trade.
  22. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Certainly not worthless, it's just going to be a bitch of a time getting $4$ in any trade, if ever. Considering you don't like it and probably won't get $4$, recommend trading it at a slightly lower value or drop it as a great extra on people over the next several years. We all know it'll cellar well and sourheads will love it.
    adamcarlson28 likes this.
  23. Very tasty, not particularly hard to get.
  24. More than two or three by far.
  25. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

I could see this becoming as great as vintage 2003. Just gotta give it a decade. Since you already dropped a lot of $ on it, cellar them over the next decade. I bet you won't be disappointed.
  26. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

I bought a bottle for my birthday and had it sitting on its side on the passenger seat next to me on the short ride back to work. When I arrived I noticed it had leaked a little in transit. When I opened it later it was great and less than an ounce had been lost. Volatile little beer, be careful.
  27. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

If anyone that lives in a town where golden blend or the regular gueuze is just sitting on the shelves and would like to work something out, send me a message. TABC doesn't allow beer shipped into Texas anymore and the only gueuze we get is Cuvee Rene and Timmermans...
  28. Not sure of the trade value, but be careful opening them. You'll shoot your eye out.
    MasterCraft, mikecharley and Mandark like this.
  29. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

I'm confused. You can't ship beers into Texas, but you still get Cuvee Rene? Or is that a recent change and the Cuvee Rene/Timmermans is from before this was instituted?
  30. You can't order from an online retailer and ship to Texas. Regular distribution channels are fine.
  31. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

This.
  32. hah, if you know where this is on the shelves in Boston for $25, let me know. haven't seen it for less than $29. great beer, but god, what a fucking hit to the wallet.
  33. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I drink my Golden Blend prior to maxing out, take some horse steroids with it.
  34. Well I meant it was sitting in shops, price is $28-29.