1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

3rd Street Spotlight IPA

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by ZAP, Apr 5, 2014.

1. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (700) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

I am going to review this eventually but have not seen much buzz on this beer and wanted to say it is really good if you like blalanced IPA's with a lot of flavor...real unique flavors I am having a hard time putting a handle on....berries, tangerines...maybe a hint of coconut....tropical with a nice malt flavor as well....if you want a cutting, sharp bitterness this is not for you....

Much prefer this to their 3-way Pale which is OK but not as good as I was hoping for. I anticipate buying a lot of this.

Does anyone know the hop bill on this? I've googled the shit out of it and can't find anything that lists the hops...??

Edit-The more I drink this the more I am pretty sure Sorachi Ace is one of the hops and one of the dominant hops...I have an affinity for that hop which may explain why I like this IPA so much.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. I picked up a bottle of this a few days ago. It sounds like some good flavors... Berry flavored hops such as mosaic seem to be finding their way into ipas all over lately. Anyway, i hope to try it this weekend
  3. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Picked up a sixer tonight. Good nose Zap! Sorachi Ace is at least one hop used in this brew. Third Streets website also lists; Cascade, Bravo, Lemon Drop and a mysterious experimental hop as dry hops. Sort of odd really, it seems 3rd St's website only lists dry hops for most of their brands, so I wonder if that's a fuck up on their part. Not sure. Anyway, Spotlight is a really nice IPA. Is it to much to hope we will this in cans?
  4. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (700) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

I could not find anything on their website with ingredients other than the malt.....I must be blind...."Lemon Drop"...never heard of that one....wonder what the mysterious experimental hop is? New Zealand?
  5. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I've heard of Lemon Drop, I even think I saw it for sale on some homebrew shops website, sounds delicious lol. Who knows what the experimental hop is. Commercial breweries have access to new breeds that us plebs usually don't.
  6. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Picked up a 6 pack last night. Was pleasantly surprised.
  7. leezy

leezy Aficionado (175) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

I too was pleasantly surprised at this one, 3rd st has been underwhelming to me except for Sugar Shack (good balance with the maple) and 3 way (because, heh) even then it was more of a MN beer vs out state beer that made the difference
    ZAP likes this.
  8. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

A really good IPA. I get the Sorachi Ace influence as well. A different Third Street IPA every spring. Sounds like a good idea if this is any indication.
    ZAP likes this.
  9. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Somebody compare this to Saga so I know if I should try it.
    Honestly though bitter neigbor is the only one they brew, that to me, might maybe be worth picking up if it is on clearance or something. All their other beers seem really "meh" to me so I've lumped this right into that category.