1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

4.4 pH on sparge water too low? repercussions? (I don't think so but...)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by castillo83, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Hi,

I wanted to acidify my sparge water (fly sparging), and dumped a little less than 3mL into 7 gals, and pH dropped to 4.4. I don't think there is a problem at all, but does anyone disagree?
  2. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

What did you dump?! The buffering capacity of your grain bed will probably make things alright, but be careful:oops:
  3. Ooops, I dumped lactic acid, I thought it was a weak acid...
  4. skivtjerry

It's probably ok. If the beer has a very low FG, it might be a little tart. For the future: I use phosphoric acid rather than lactic, and opinions vary on what is better, but this applies to both: use a ~10% dilution to acidify - it cuts your margin of error by a factor of 10.

It's probably gonna turn out fine, but if not, let your tastebuds be your guide in the future.
  5. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (425) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Are you saying you'd rather be high on pH than low?
  6. skivtjerry

You don't want to be high or low; the mash pH should be about 5.2 and you don't want the runoff to get much over 5.7 when fly sparging. A little low is probably better than a little high, but ideally you want to keep things in a pretty narrow range. 4.4 would be a bit much, but it's unlikely the OP's wort was anywhere near that.