Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...

4 Course Meal, Salad - Cheese - Steak - Dessert

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by atothesquiz, Jan 29, 2013.

1. I'm getting ready to prepare a 4 course beer / dinner pairing. I'm looking for some recommendations for each course or perhaps even a recommendation or modification for my current course selection.

Below is a list of the beers I currently have in the cellar. None of these beers are off limits for this dinner. It also doesn't matter if the beer is a 22/750ml bottle for just two people

http://goo.gl/lGcYp

Course 1: Kale Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
    ( http://www.justataste.com/2013/01/raw-kale-salad-warm-bacon-vinaigrette-dressing-recipe/ )
    I plan on making this with some of my own homemade savory bacon. The bacon has a sweetness to it because I cured it with a vanilla bourbon syrup I made then smoked with hickory. I will also be cutting a large chunk of the uncut belly into lardons and frying them up instead of using strips

Beer: ???

Course Two: Cheese and Crackers / Breads / Veggies
    This hasn't been terribly defined yet since I dont know what cheese's I'll be buying but I love smoked gouda and the lady likes gorgonzolas. Mutually we like cheddars.This will basically be a dish for use to munch on while the third course finishes up

Course 3: Bacon wrapped filet (2" thick cut). Different bacon than course 1. Side of asparagus
    Both steaks will be served medium rare.

Course 4: Waffles and Icecream
    Warm waffle with a scope of icecream (probably coffee flavored with espresso chocolate chips) on top, drizzled with a light carmel sauce (not smothered).

My girlfriend likes all the beers on my list but has started to like (flemish) sours so I'd like to pepper one of those in there somewhere but I honestly have no idea what it would pair well with.

I'm still unsure for the salad and the cheese plate (if I want to even do a cheese plate!)

For the steak, I was thinking about the backwoods bastard from founders, not sure what else goes well with (medium) rare steak.

For the icecream i was thinking about pair it with the Frangelic Brown from founders because i think the hazelnut sweetness would go well with the coffee/espresso chocolate. Or I was thinking about the Black Ops 2011 bottle

2. mikecharley

mikecharley Advocate (545) Pennsylvania Nov 6, 2008 Verified

For the salad, go out and get some Swiss. Maybe weinhesteffaner.
    For the cheese, I would suggest the flemish your girl likes
    Steak, break out the westy
    Dessert, end it great with the bcbcs

Edit, didn't see the ice cream is coffee flavor. In that case pick a different iteration of bourbon county. Should be spectacular

futura123 likes this.
  3. mikecharley

mikecharley Advocate (545) Pennsylvania Nov 6, 2008 Verified

Meant "Weiss", not "Swiss"... Stupid autocorrect.

4. Thanks. I have no problem going out and picking up a beer if available (WNY area distribution)

5. Are you using sherry, balsamic or red wine vin in the bacon dressing? Flemish sour could go nicely with a heartier salad like kale and bacon vin, similar reasons to the weiss ( effervescence, acidity). Oak and sour fruit with smokey vanilla bacon? Sounds kind of awsome actually. Madame Rose could work as its not very sweet or simply Rodenbach or NB La Folie. The Bourbon notes in Jolly Pumpkin La Roja could be fun with that vanilla maple bacon as well

6. Salad:
    If you could get any Godziskie in your area, that sounds like it'd be a perfect compliment to your opener. It's a Polish smoked wheat beer that's made a small resurgence in the craft scene, though isn't distributed on a wide scale, so it'll depend. It's lightly acidic, but has nice smoked notes that I think would work well with the salad. If not, a traditional Weiss will do the trick, particularly one with a naturally smokey character from the yeast.

Cheese:
    This would be a great place for a Flemish Sour. Flemish sours work well with aged goat cheese. Something like Humboldt Fog I think would be a nice match.

Steak:
    This has Belgian Dubbel written all over it. Though, I also think Indian Brown Ale would be a great choice, or Sam Smith's Taddy Porter. All of them have those nice caramelized notes in the malt that'll pick up the char on a steak brilliantly, and offer a malty-sweet contrast to all those big, beefy flavors.

Waffles/Ice Cream:
    You could go a million different ways with this. Russian Imperial Stouts, Belgian Quads, English-style Barleywines, they'll all work here.