1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

4 oz. tasting glasses or similar

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by djbreezy, Apr 26, 2012.

1. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

2. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Try Goodwill or Dollar stores or contact restaurant wholesalers. small juice glasses would work well.

djbreezy likes this.
  3. cosmicevan and djbreezy like this.
  4. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

I've found a few of these at thrift stores, it's a 4oz glass (the Sam's is for a sense of scale). They are great glasses but I cannot seem to find out who makes them or even anything similar. So it doesn't help you much, but they are great tasting glasses if you can find them.

[​IMG]

djbreezy and MarkIntihar like this.
  5. chanokokoro, acurtis, vkv822 and 2 others like this.
  6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I've also seen those mini tulips at a lot of thrift stores. Perfect for those tastings where things might get a bit sloppy! ;)

7. djbreezy

Ooh, these are cool.

Thanks, I did consider these. $2.25 is pretty cheap considering they have a cool logo on them.
    Whoa, nice find! We do have quite a few Goodwill and Salvation Army locations here in town so I'll give a look out this weekend.

8. schteve

schteve Savant (270) New Jersey Sep 10, 2003

9. mecmd

mecmd Advocate (690) Georgia Jan 7, 2012

djbreezy likes this.
  10. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Pilsner shams. They turn up more often than you might think, as do the old "barrel" type tasters.
    (It's not like "thrifting" or antiquing is everybody's cup of tea, but I once scored a set of six "Asahi" tasters in the box, for like $2 at St. Vincent de Paul :cool:)

11. Picked up one of the today

[​IMG]

Set me back 25¢.​

12. I grabbed a couple small snifters from a Salvation Army store. They were marked $0.99 each and at the register came up at 50% off. Can't beat that! Haven't measured volume yet but they split a 12oz bottle perfectly with enough room for a nice head plus some, so I'm guessing 8oz). I love them to take samples from the tap as well without feeling bad about drinking a whole pint of beer but they are also dangerous for that same reason...

djbreezy likes this.
  13. Chaz

Didja see any Michelob Bock?

14. Nope, not since about circa 1981 (wait, that was Michelob Dark on tap).

Oh, you mean, glassware? Nah, it was a "junk/garage sale" type flea market. There were 4 tall SUNTORY DRAFT BEER flutes. 4/$1. The old lady looked like she could use the extra buck more than I could, so they went into the bag, too- and then right into a box in the cellar. My heirs can sort them out.

15. djbreezy

Why in the world didn't I think of IKEA? Brilliant! Thank you. :)

I dig it. May need to track some down.

These are very cool too. Thanks.

I'm gonna have to make some purchases this weekend...taster glasses may be my new collector's item.

16. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

17. djbreezy

Yes and yes. Thanks chanokokoro. Can't believe I am forgetting the obvious ones like IKEA, Crate & Barrel, World Market and Pier 1.

18. cpferris

cpferris Aficionado (220) Indiana Jan 22, 2008

19. acurtis

acurtis Champion (765) New Jersey Sep 27, 2010

20. djbreezy

Ended up buying these today at Bed, Bath and Beyond (who would pay $300 for a tabletop Dyson Air Multiplier by the way?). 12 - 5.5 oz Libbey mini snifters for $19.99. I'm shocked they are cheaper than Amazon. Strange.

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  21. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (385) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

22. That's one of the taster glasses I have from Stone's 12th Anniversary fest but with their logo and fest logo. My advice besides what has been mentioned, go to beerfests! I have about a dozen taster glasses from beerfests and I've only been going for 2 years now. Oh and it never helps looking around at antique shops for taster or regular glassware.

Jesskidden reminded me of this glass that I picked up for $2 at an antique shop.
    [​IMG]

djbreezy likes this.
  23. [​IMG]NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A TASTER GLASS !!!

24. Damn, dude, you got ripped off- that's FOUR times what they sold for! :eek:

[​IMG]
    Of course, in today's dollars, that regular price of 57¢ equal $2.65.

I've heard that those "goblets" were also sold in some "5 and Dime" type stores with candles in them. It does explain why they're often found in regions were the beer brand wasn't normally distributed at the time (i.e., Hamm's on the East Coast).

25. Chaz

The older, heavier versions are called "Schooners" at local bars. Hamm's glasses are still pretty common in a couple of the dives I frequent...

djbreezy likes this.
  26. Oh, yeah, like I'm gonna trust some dude on the 'net vs. Woolworth's on beer glass terminology. (Plus, schooner means something different in the PNW and some different again in Australia and then, when you go down to docks...).

But, gotta love those goblets/schooners showing up in a "taster glass" thread. ;) As I often mention, they used to sell 7 ounce bottles of beer as containing "one full glass of beer" and now they call those 24 oz. cans "single serve". So, I guess you can use a 14-17 oz. glass to "taste" beer, too.

beertunes likes this.
  27. Chaz

Schooners, Shams... what is this, a glassware convention?

Every so often I find whole sets of these at bric-a-brac shops, with Olympia, Old Style, Hamm's and the like packaged into either a linear or cubed cardboard package. There really needs to be a site to cater to folks looking to pick up this type of thing without jacked prices ("Tavern Trove" takes heat, but is better than some). Aside from that, I see some decent bar/Libbey tasters in this thread.

We'll make an exception for you; everyone else must sip politely from their respective 64oz plastic pitcher. :D

28. I saw some guys at the darkhorse 4 elf party with cool looking wax-dipped goblets or snifters. Anyone seen these? I forgot to ask them where they got em.

29. Didn't you use one of gazillion 20% off coupons?
    $16+tax for 12 tasting size snifters sounds like winning to me if you're drinking barleywines/stouts/old ales.

30. djbreezy

Forgot about those. I don't shop there often enough. Thanks for the tip! I ended up with another case of similar glasses from Elysian with the pumpkin face print on them. They had posted about having extra cases on Facebook. The set was around $40 I think but a unique and fun set of tasters.

[​IMG]

Rainblows and fujindemon74 like this.
  31. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

32. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

ISO

33. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I get all of mine at Wasserstrom.

34. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Savant (495) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

Ended up using that BB&B gift card I got for Xmas on those glasses. Thanks for the tip.