1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

40ozs. Why are America's craft breweries not making them?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Googs, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Googs

Googs Savant (350) New York Apr 19, 2012

I don't know about you all, but I first started drinking beer in 40oz form when I was a kid. And I still do drink 40s occasionally. But I'm always wishing that it was full of a bomb ass pale ale, lager or IPA, really any style that isn't too intense. But hell, why not a Barleywine or Imperial Stout too..Schlitz, Steel Reserve, Olde English 800 HG, Hurricane etc. are all 8%-9%. I want a 40 of Olde Rasputin:mad: .

Anyone else feel me? I'm sure there are reasons breweries don't want to start bottling beer that way. but damn well makes sense to me. I hope someone else shares my opinion and gives it a shot.

2. Dude really?just buy a 4 pack and drink them all

Centennial, 5thOhio, nrbw23 and 13 others like this.
  3. My guess would be that North Coast Brewing does not want there customers to start shooting each other.

4. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Growlers.

5. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

They're illegal in at least one state (Florida), for one. They're associated with crappy, high alcohol malt liquor, for another. Also, they can be seen to encourage overconsumption.

Anyway, if you want that much, buy by the case. Or buy growlers.

6. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

IainOg, jiboo22, Falcone and 13 others like this.
  7. Googs

You have a good point man, it may sound a bit ridiculous and a lot of people wouldn't agree, but at the same time drinking a 40 is different and a classic experience for me. Something about the size and shape of the bottle in your hand, it's perfect and I've always liked it. People who fuck with 40s would understand. But then of course, many people prefer to pour into glasses anyway, and there's the last bit of the 40, usually flat and full of backwash.

GhettoFabulous and brewbetter like this.
  8. Buy multiple bottles. Case closed.

Hopsiam14, 5thOhio and ericj551 like this.
  9. Googs

I'll keep on dreaming

MarcusHalberstram likes this.
  10. rholmes

rholmes Aficionado (105) Florida Sep 11, 2012

This. I live in Florida, and a lot of people that have lived here all of their life have no clue what a 40 is. Maybe it's an issue of what the price point would be as well? If you figure that 22oz bottles can go from the $6 to $12 range (and up in some cases), you would assume the 40oz would sell for a minimum of $10 and up. I have no idea what the actual number of people is that will try something at that size, but I gotta assume most people aren't going to just drop $10 and up to try something for the first time.

11. I used to love a good colt 45 myself.widemouth fool!but a 40 or old Rasputin?thats crazy kid......a 40 of pliny would be pretty killer though

diesel59 and Googs like this.
  12. kingofhop

kingofhop Advocate (555) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Forties have many redeeming qualities. You only have to open them once, as opposed to multiple times. Therefore reducing the risk of permanent hand nerve damage which may arise from multiple hand twisting/pop-toppings. Plus, one trip to the garbage bin as compared to several, conserves energy.

13. Googs

[​IMG]
    growlazzzzz

14. Googs

ya tell me you don't wanna play edward 40 hands with Pliny

603BeerMe and Caterwaul like this.
  15. kingofhop

I want the Blatz. I mean, I REALLY want it.

Centennial and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  16. Nope,I'm sayin I would love to.

17. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

I'm not so concerned with the size, but I would like to see more well done malt liquors.

diesel59 and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  18. kingofhop

I have no idea what Edward hand games are. I'm from back in the day when "the quarter game" was big. My college age daughter did teach me some new stuff recently, but with the onslaught of senility, I cain't 'member a dam thang she said.:)

19. einhorn

einhorn Savant (405) California Nov 3, 2005

They probably don't make them because most (or almost all) bottling lines do not accommodate this size. Or one may need parts which may or may not be available for that particular bottling set up.

20. You tape a 40 to each of your hands and can't remove them until they are both empty.

JxExM likes this.
  21. Give it a few months, Lagunitas is fulfilling your request with 36 oz bottles of Sucks. 36 is clse enough to 40. Excited I am. Drunk I will be!

22. kingofhop

Sounds kinda fun. Do I get to choose Duct, black electrical, or Scotch invisible? Or is this some freeky type of bondage thang?

russpowell likes this.
  23. One of my fondest memories of Grandma was of her drinking a 40 of Coors when my older brother graduated High School.

603BeerMe, Hatzilla, IainOg and 4 others like this.
  24. Googs

Can't wait either, a perfect beer to have in that size bottle

25. The fun begins when you fall down, break glass, piss yourself and cut balls.

CBlack85 and kingofhop like this.
  26. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (1,015) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

The best I could come up with was DFH Liquor de Malt and People's Pint Tap & Die for Edward 40 hands. Terrible idea, by the way...

27. kingofhop

Been there, done that. The "Fun" is not as "fun" as it appears to be. :)

28. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Yes please. Anyone hating, gtfo (in a kind, non-threatening way.)

Googs and PoopChute69 like this.
  29. The reason why is while a 22oz or 750ml carries an air of sophistication that allows one to charge a premium over a 12oz, a 40 has the exact opposite impression so you would probably have to charge less than you would for a 12oz. That would make it real stupid to buy a separate bottling line to lose money.

thenamestsam and MickJ0nes like this.
  30. Langunitas' new bottles will be quarts - 32 US fl. oz. - so, not quite as close to the 40 (figure 2/3 of a 12 oz. bottle away).

beertunes likes this.
  31. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 25, 2008

It's likely to cost more per ounce and it will force you into drinking three glasses in a sitting. What's the advantage exactly?

32. I don't have nostalgia with 40s because they well, uh, suck, and if I wanted cheap liquor in high school, cheap vodka or everclear (vomit) was the route to go.

I can see why some people here have nostalgia associated with 40s and the advantages that format may hold for them, however, as a poor part-time employed student, I don't need another format to jack up the $/oz. Good chance I'll be getting a full time job soon though, so when that happens: bring on the 40s **************!!!!!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  33. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

That's a fantastic story.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  34. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

Given that many people bemoan high alcohol beers only being available in bombers, I don't know that many "feel you" or agree that "bomb ass" beers need to be distributed in extra large containers.

You can get beers in 12 oz, 22 oz, 25.4 oz (750mL), 32 oz (half growlers - not sure if they're common everywhere), and 64 oz sizes. If you so badly need a 40 of an imperial stout, save a bottle, grab a funnel, and dump a few in. Then, you may recognize how silly this is.

rholmes likes this.
  35. Most craft breweries probably aren't equipped to fill a 40oz. bottle with their bottling line.

36. Jason311

Jason311 Aficionado (105) Virginia Dec 18, 2012

Rogue makes high volume jugs. Does that help? :)

37. See the "fun" is actually for the people around you ;)

38. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

No, because you said Rogue.

Hatzilla likes this.
  39. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (350) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

Um no that would take away one of the better points of the game!!! Foo Shoo!!!

CASK1 likes this.
  40. Craft breweries have had to fight tooth and nail to convince people that beer isn't just this tasteless fizzy drink for the sole purpose of getting you "wicked drunk bro".

It takes the focus from "we care about flavor" to "GIT DRUNK BRA!"

Will it always necessarily be the case? Of course not. There's plenty of us who just want a nice session beer. But people will take it the wrong way, and tarnish a lot of what these folks have been fighting against.

Give it a few more years. Canned craft beer is still settling in, after all.