1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

40ozs. Why are America's craft breweries not making them?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Googs, Feb 12, 2013.

1. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

This is one way to completely give up on getting the general public to "RESPECT BEER".
  2. Which is going to come first for the OP: Liver failure, a DUI, or enrollment in AA?
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  3. A 40oz of an imperial stout at like, 10%? Nah, I'll pass
  4. What if his liver fails on his way to AA and gets pulled over for a DUI?
    beertunes likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Bombers and 750s are already overpriced, I'd have to see what they would charge for 40's.
    jimmy666, jmu500 and beertunes like this.
  6. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Ask him!
    Ill go with DUI for the win!......and by win.....I mean loss!
  7. Googs

Googs Savant (330) New York Apr 19, 2012

Guess you like having your one glass of craft beer and then your done for the night, maybe getting in the bed with the wife and reading a book. I'm not there yet guy...I'm 21. I'm still out n about sometimes and when I'm going to a party or even a bottle share with my frineds, I like to get saucy and I want to get saucy off some damn good beer, not fizzy yellow water. Beer can be enjoyed in small amounts and in very large amounts, that's the glory of it!!!

On another note, beer is a hobby for me and I have no dependency on booze. Plus I don't even drive, I live in NYC. Owning a car is almost pointless.
  8. Yeah dude, the 24 oz bottles of SPA are sweet for hanging out. Don't agree on the really big beers though, you miss out on the aroma that way. But with something really sessionable that doesn't feel like your cheating the experience by drinking from the bottle, yeah 40s would be pretty tight. It isn't that crazy... as the craft market expands companies will look for different niches.
  9. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

For what it's worth, I asked the local homebrew shop by about getting 40oz bottles a while back, and they said they typically don't hold carbonation well.
  10. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Why don't you empty a 4 pack of Old Rasputin into a spent King Cobra 40oz bottle? Boom. You have a 40 of Old Rasputin.
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  11. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I'm pretty sure I was already reading books and going to bed with women by the time I was 21, but some mature more quickly than others. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I like forties until the last ten, which is always warm and flat and spitty.
    beertunes likes this.
  12. Founders could do one and call it "Backwoods F'ing Biotch!"
    AnotherImperial and IamMe90 like this.
  13. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I can't believe I'm reading this when I see most Americans bitch and moan about 750s :p

That being said, any good beer should be a moderated treat imo. If you want to binge on craft, get a kegerator and drink your fill.
  14. Googs

Googs Savant (330) New York Apr 19, 2012

funny guy
  15. Maybe you should leave craft beer for the adults, eh?
    StuartCarter likes this.
  16. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

This is true, but only if the beer in question is available in a small format. Put it in a 40 and it's hard to enjoy it in small amounts.
  17. Like an above-poster said, by the end of a 40oz, you won't have much carbonation left. Unless you chug it, in which case you're probably not leaving much time to actually taste it, and in that case you might as well go with some malt liquor.

Again, I think the biggest problem would be the perception of non craft beer drinkers. All of a sudden you will have lost some ground trying to convince people that beer should be of high quality, and is worth extra cost.
  18. This. Not a beer that sucks warm and mellow.
  19. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Can't have them in Florida...
  20. I want to party with you.
    beertunes and IamMe90 like this.
  21. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

There's no reason that an authentic Craft brewer -couldn't- bottle a lower-to-mid strength beer in that format, but the format itself has carried a stigma for a good long while now. Thus, the format trumps the hand-crafted image which is necessary to sell Craft beer at retail (at least; I've -almost- never seen 40oz at on-sale o_O).
  22. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Ten Fidy in a Foh-tee? Word!
    Reinbeck11 likes this.
  23. wouldnt that be 10 fody?
  24. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

Bottling in 40oz won't change the batch size the brewer is able to produce and store and would cut down the availability then to ship more bottles out of market. Your dealing with small brewers in most cases. Less bottles would just drive up aftermarket prices on beer lists and ebay (still being done just call it *empty) don't think anyone here wants to see that
  25. For maximum hilarity, read this post in the voice of David Chapelle imitating a white guy.
    603BeerMe likes this.
  26. lol good one! you sure told him!!!11!
  27. jdhende

jdhende Savant (345) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

Now you wait just a gosh darn second Rondell
    IamMe90 likes this.
  28. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

As the lead baritone in my local jug band, I'd love to see more craft beers in 40oz bottles.
    mintjellie likes this.
  29. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

Slightly off topic, but am I the only one here who's never actually had a 40?
    beerme411 and hoparoundnw2337 like this.
  30. I have not had one as well. However I like the 12 ozers so I can switch it up within a style if need be. Or I can just open another of the same...
  31. Go big or go home, why not add 24oz and just get a growler . . . :D
  32. This has been an idea of mine for a long time, using a 40 as a growler is hilarious. Lagunitas coming out with 32oz sucks hurt but its still not a 40!
  33. I remember getting King Cobra 40s every chance we could... When I was a teenager. And if you were short on cash for that premium drink? ... A $.79 Laser 40. We would light the bag on fire when you got toward the end of the bottle. Forced you to pound it cause it tasted sooo damn horrible. Haha. Good times.
  34. The last time I had a 40 ounce bomber was in 1965. Bought at the base exchange at Kadina AFB in Okinawa. Lucky Lager 40 ounce bombers were 25 cents. How's that for some nostalgia.
    beertunes, Googs and Chaz like this.
  35. Too much. Half way through Id already be growing tired of it
  36. WankelEngine

WankelEngine Savant (345) Illinois Mar 28, 2011

I think it's hilarious. The original idea was to put them in 40's, but apparently someone important (marketing?) would have none of it, so they dropped it down to 32oz. Either way, I'm looking forward to downing big bottles of Sucks year round. Two of those then it's off to the bar!
  37. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Aficionado (170) Oklahoma Jun 28, 2011

I don't want to drink 40oz of any beer all at once. I'm having a Hopslam as I write this, and I'm thinking 24oz max and i'd want to switch to something else. I like variety, and after the second of any beer, it seems to be not as great as the first two were.
  38. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Drinking a Bull Ice right now. I don't want 40s of true craft styles...except maybe like pales or IPAs...but a really good quality malt liquor would be kinda cool.
  39. Buy 2 bombers and you're 4 oz. ahead.
  40. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (285) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

b/c nobody needs a 40oz serving for a 7-10% IPA or stout or anything. grossly excessive.
    StuartCarter likes this.