1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

48+ Sierra Nevada Tap Takeover @ Burger - Santa Cruz

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by CenCalMario, Apr 25, 2013.

1. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

FYI...lots of one-offs....started today.
  2. rboinski

rboinski Initiate (0) California Mar 19, 2012

Thanks for the heads up might check this out. What food would you recommend there? Never been.
  3. morgenw

morgenw Aficionado (125) California Dec 24, 2008

At a place called Burger, I'd go with the spaghetti.
    impending, AdamSimpson and jtmartino like this.
  4. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (460) California Nov 16, 2009

How come I wasn't aware of this? I've been looking for a good reason to visit Santa Cruz.
  5. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

The good beach weather, the wharf, the boardwalk, downtown, the food, burger., (both of them), Aptos BBQ and Sante Adairius weren't reason enough? ;)
    mggkohl, afrokaze and bird22 like this.
  6. rboinski

At a place with burgers between grilled cheese sandwiches and burgers between donuts, it feels important to know what is good and what is disgusting
  7. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (460) California Aug 24, 2012

That's awesome! I'm moving to Santa Cruz actually and headed down there this weekend for a visit. We were going to eat at Burger anyway, so I hope this lasts a couple more days!
  8. grrrah

grrrah Savant (310) California Sep 21, 2009

Those are both good (Phatty and Kardashian?), but I ususally save the calories for beer and go with the Jake Blues (bacon and blue cheese).
    rboinski likes this.
  9. rboinski

Thanks i think ill take a simple one then!
  10. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (285) California Jan 12, 2009

11. Nice list, try that Simmer Down Brown, I thought it was outstanding when I tried it a few months ago.
  12. That's awesome. Are they doing tasters or flights?
  13. as funny as that sounds, they have a burger with spaghetti on it, delicious.
  14. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I'd suggest the Spicoli or the ahi burger. Had the Achor Flying Cloud last time I was there and it couldn't have paired any better with the food. Nice bar too. Always a good time there.
  15. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Savant (460) California Aug 24, 2012

FYI - I was there last night. The tap takeover is over, but they still have lots of beers from the even left, just on the regular menu now. I had a Hoptimum and a 2011 Bigfoot. Good place, happy to have something like this in my new home town. FWIW - I recommend the Syd Barret burger.
  16. i prefer the aptos location as well, nicer service!
  17. afrokaze

Crazy taplist, enjoying their schwarzbier right now with a Bubba. Might be here a while!
  18. Is there tap list always good? I'll be heading up there in June, and was hoping for a good beer spot.
  19. afrokaze

it's always reliable but not necessarily crazy. Good chance you'll find something you've never had each time you go.
  20. billf

billf Aficionado (185) California Jul 31, 2012

21. danwho

danwho Savant (395) California Feb 18, 2010

I like the mug-shots for your table id.
  22. Heard Burger was a great spot. Going to check it out next time I'm up in Santa Cruz (wife is from there, we live in the OC).

ps- Am I the only guy who thinks Sierra Nevada is bland? Narwhal and Hoptimum are pretty good, but every single other offering just tastes the exact same to me. Celebration Ale, Rhising Bines, Torpedo, Estate IPA, the regular old Pale ale, they all have that flavor. I say this because I have plopped down 10 bucks for a bomber only to be treated to the same taste I'd get in a Sierra Nevada Pale.