1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

5 Month Conditioned Imperial Stout - Bottling Yeast Needed?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by gdkersey, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I brewed an imperial stout back on October 1 2011, and transferred to a secondary for additional conditioning on November 5. The beer has sat in that secondary since and I plan to bottle this upcoming weekend (will be 23 weeks total in fermenters). Would you suggest repitching some yeast for bottling? The original yeast was US-05. Starting gravity was 1.089, and gravity in November was 1.023. I plan to let it sit for another few months before even drinking the first one, so there is no need for a quick carbonation, just looking to get the right amount of carbonation.

Thanks!

2. I would definitely pitch some more yeast when bottling. Obviously US-05 is perfect since you used it already. I would be sure it rehydrate it first due to the alcohol content.

3. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

It's cheap insurance to add a little yeast at bottlin'time.

1/2 package of dry yeast is often recommended by BA-sters.
    Jamil sez use 10% of the original amount.

4. LAWbrewing

LAWbrewing Zealot (80) Wisconsin Nov 23, 2010

I came in here to ask a very similar question. Now that I think I ought to buy such insurance (i.e., pitch more at bottling time) just a couple more on the process:
    1. If calculating 10% of the original amount would be a laughably rough estimate, then 1/2 a pack of dry seems the broad-brush way to go. Is that simply added to the bottling bucket along with the corn sugar solution at racking time?
    2. How much flavor impact should I expect.
    Thanks for the post, OP! And thanks for upcoming answers BA-sters.

5. I brew a big imperial stout once a year that I usually oak age for 2-3 months. I've always pitched 1/2 pack of T-58 for bottle conditioning. I can't say that it wouldn't condition otherwise, but with an O.G above 1.1 and significant time invested, I just pitch the yeast and call it brew insurance. You could even brew a low grav. wit for the spring and use the rest of the yeast in that. I know you'd probably be underpitching in the wit from a technical standpoint, but I hate to waste yeast and I find that some of the esters produced from a slight underpitch tend to be more pronounced than beers innoculated with a higher yeast cell count. Just my $0.02.

6. 1. That is what I have done with consistent success.
    2. With T-58, I've noticed zero flavor impact. Granted, my experience has been with imperial stout. Other styles
    may "show through" a bit more.

7. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

Really? That would mean that you pitched the equivalent of 5 packets of dry yeast into the primary.

No, rehydrate it first.

None.