1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

5 Years Deserves a LIF - Let's kick some cancer ass.

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by writerLJBerg, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Yes, first off, today is my one hundred and eleventieth birthday...err, I mean 5 year BA anniversary. So I want to give some beer away and also do some work on an issue that's important to me.

First, some background: Over the past year, my grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer and my aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer. I say this not to garner sympathy, but in order to give some context to what's to follow so people can easily follow what I'm about to say without needing to impugn my name. (There are other reasons to do that, anyway.)

When it comes to funding, nothing beats breast cancer. We have Save the Boobies fundraisers, Susan G. Komen marches, the NFL devotes an entire month to awareness, and so on. Now prostate cancer is starting to receive the same treatment with Pints for Prostates, another NFL awareness treatment, etc. Meanwhile, it is my fear that we are forgetting there are a lot of other cancer research programs that need similar levels of finances. This is certainly not to diminish the above donation (Well, maybe the NFL's, because theirs is a publicity stunt to sell gear) - of course we all want to beat cancer in every form as so many people are affected - but some awareness programs seem to affect our pocketbooks more than others. Which is why my goal with this LIF is to focus on the "forgotten" cancers, and get people to donate to them. In essence, let's do some awareness campaigning.

So let's get to the specifics:

For every $10, you'll get entered into the drawing for the box. (Details below.)

To start, some places to get your donations started. If you have a foundation you want mentioned, beermail me, I'll be sure to give you credit. In the spirit if awareness, I want accept all donations for the cancers below not just the ones I list. The only ones I won't accept in this LIF are breast and prostate cancer because this is meant for the ones we aren't thinking about as much.

Donation sites:

American Cancer Society: https://www.cancer.org/involved/donate/donateonlinenow/index

Choose from Lung Cancer, Pancreatic Cancer, Colorectal Cancer or "Where it's needed most"

Lung Cancer. (This is the deadliest killer right now.)

https://www.lungcancerresearchfoundation.org/donate.php

Pancreatic Cancer

http://pancreaticcancerfoundation.com/donate
    https://www.lustgarten.org/donate

Colorectal Cancer

https://secure.commonground.convio.com/fightcrc/general/
    https://secure2.convio.net/cca/site/Donation2?df_id=1420&1420.donation=form1

These are just a few from my searches through the week. Again, if you have a different link, provide it to me so I can put up a post.

The box of 6 beers I want to send out in a styro shipper.

Deschutes Abyss 2008
    Deschutes Black Butte XXI
    Pelican Mother of All Storms 2010
    Block 15 Golden Canary 2012
    Upright Fantasia 2013
    Logsdon Peche 'N Brett 2013

Rules:

Open to US only. (Sorry to our international brethren. You can still donate to be awesome, though.)

LIF runs through March 23rd. I'll try to do a drawing for this on video, but I can't guarantee it right now. Box will either be sent out March 25th or April 1st.

Other cancer research suggestions are encouraged.

Every $10 is 1 entry into the drawing. Multiple entries accepted. Email me your receipt (or send me a copy if the website allows it) by adding @gmail.com to my username. IMPORTANT: Label the headline with LIF, the Cancer Research name and Donation so I can find it easily. (e.g. LIF Colorectal Cancer donation) Do not beermail me this info for the reason listed below.

If group donating: Please have everyone email their receipts to you, and then email them all at once to me, preferably as attachments or in the body of the mail, so I can get the counting correct.

Get others involved. If you want to tell others in your office/among your non-BA friends to help out, their donations will count towards your entries. This after all, an awareness thread. Just promise to share the beer if you win. (Hold a party for them, maybe.)

If you want to donate a box as seems to happen with these kinds of LIFs, please beermail me. (Don't email to my gmail address. I want to keep the two separate so I don't miss something.)

Calvinball rules apply as needed. I'm hoping this will be pretty straightforward.

Let's kick some ass.
  2. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

Worth a donation just for the Calvinball reference
  3. Donated. emailing a .pdf screenshot. Nice LIF.
  4. I'm making a quick change. Rather than having people beermail me with donation sites and having me post it, I'd just prefer a head's up before the poster puts up the post him/herself. Seems to make the most sense.

Also, don't forget to send me your BA name in the emails.
  5. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Done. National Pancreatic Cancer society. That s^#@ is NASTY! Even the lowest stage only has a 14% 5-year survival rate. Need. Cure. Now.
  6. Bump for the Saturday crowd. You don't want me thinking you won't donate if it's not one of the big two cancers, right?
  7. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (175) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Same here. That son of a bitch took my grandfather 26 years ago.
  8. Kwaide

Kwaide Aficionado (220) Virginia Jul 11, 2012

I would recommend adding city of hope to the list, they do every thing from breast cancer to heart disease and they get the money directly to the research hospitals. The company I work for has donated upwards of 1,000,000 dollars a year for the last 15 years. They actually do amazing things and do both helping patients directly to pay for treatment and the research to make it better.
  9. Okay, made a donation for colorectal cancer to get things going for Sunday. My father is currently fighting colorectal cancer, having beaten both head and neck and prostate cancer over the eight years prior to this. We're blessed to still have him around and hope he keeps fighting the good fight. To keep things going, I'm going to add a second prize box to this LIF as well (needless to say, I disqualify myself from winning this box...):

Pelican Perfect Storm 2009
    Bligh's Barleywine
    Crooked Stave Saison
    Crooked Stave Surette
    Mystery bottle (will try to aim it at your wants)

Cheers all and enjoy life!
    Boatshoes
  10. Thanks to boatshoes for the box. Hope there are people out there getting others to help with the cause. Imagine how good the Fantasia is going to taste when you know you did something to fight the cancer battle.
  11. I took a look at the website. Is there any way to designate where the money goes? I don't see it on the form.
  12. As an FYI, I'm opening this up to RB members as well. Will BA be caught dead losing to RB in the donation battle?
  13. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (175) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

One thing i will recommend...Avoid donating to the american cancer society. I donated to them once years ago and still get harassing phone calls from them demanding more money from me.
  14. Kwaide

Kwaide Aficionado (220) Virginia Jul 11, 2012

I will ask the people at my company if there is a way to do that.
  15. Only a couple donations over the past few days. Hoping to see a lot more soon. I know you people are looking. :cool:
  16. Through 1 week, we've raised 320 dollars. Let's get that number up by next week, shall we?
  17. Haven't been seeing any donations come in over the past couple of days. If people don't have any intention of donating because they're gathering help, I'll shut this down a week early unless people convince me otherwise.
  18. roon

roon Aficionado (150) Minnesota Mar 1, 2013

Donated. Keep this going....its for a good cause!
  19. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

Donated as well. Unless it's too big a drain on you, I'd leave it open, if for no other reason than weekend donations.

I lost my father to Pancreatic cancer. Don't know how advanced it was when it was caught, but from diagnosis to the end, it was less than 3 months.

Thanks writerLJBerg for doing this.
  20. It's not that I don't want to leave it open for the full 3 weeks. It's that I feel awkward bumping this every day if no one's donating.

Thanks for the donations today NABS and roon.
  21. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

I definitely get what you're saying, but you have every right to try to make sure people see this one; don't feel bad at all.
  22. Email sent. Thanks for putting this together!
  23. I've had a number of people ask me to keep this one open the entire duration, so I'm going to do so. Also there were more donations this weekend, which was encouraging. Let's keep it up with a challenge:

I have a beer that's much more sought after than Mother of All Storms 2010. In fact, it's currently one of the most sought after beers on the market right now, and I'm toying with the idea of throwing it in the box as a replacement for the Pelican. BUT, of course, only if you all convince me I should. By that, I mean, of course, getting the donation numbers up. (We're now at 550)

So, because it's my LIF and I want to invoke Calvinball rules, if we break that nebulous threshold, in my head, I'll announce what the bottle is (I believe we can all agree it will be worth it), and then from there, I will set the the mark we have to hit for it go into the box. If need be, I might send out the Pelican MoaS 2010 to person who breaks that upper threshold (probably in the realm of $5000 raised. This thread has been viewed over 600 times. If every view generated 10 dollars, we'd have over 6000 already, so I think this is fair), but in the interest of fairness to the early 'adopters', the highly sought after off-white whale will go into the grand prize box. OK?
  24. So, because it's my LIF and I want to invoke Calvinball rules, if we break that nebulous threshold, in my head, I'll announce what the bottle is (I believe we can all agree it will be worth it), and then from there, I will set the the mark we have to hit for it go into the box. If need be, I might send out the Pelican MoaS 2010 to person who breaks that upper threshold (probably in the realm of $5000 raised. This thread has been viewed over 600 times. If every view generated 10 dollars, we'd have over 6000 already, so I think this is fair), but in the interest of fairness to the early 'adopters', the highly sought after off-white whale will go into the grand prize box. OK?[/quote]

I like this idea. I too happen to have some other whalish beers as well. While perhaps not of the caliber you are thinking, I will add another very sought after beer to my second place box if your threshold is met. In fact, I will give the recipient a choice of three very sought after beers, one of which they can add to their box. Keep on raising folks!
  25. ijaap

ijaap Aficionado (190) Washington Jan 5, 2013

Ill be making some donations on Friday. I lost my uncle to cancer a few months ago. Great lif man. Everyone should be getting behind this!
  26. Spartan213

Spartan213 Savant (325) Michigan May 28, 2008

27. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

I'm in. I've heard nothing but horror stories of Pancreatic.
  28. cavemanlawyer

cavemanlawyer Savant (275) Oregon Dec 7, 2010

I'm in as well. Thanks for setting this up!
  29. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

In on lung cancer via the link provided above. Hopefully it pays dividends for me in the future if I don't quit smoking :). I didn't know this went on, kudos to Mr. writerLJBerg.
  30. Just as an FYI, a random email (1 every 2 or 3 days) has been going to my spam folder. I've checked there to make sure nothing gets missed as of 20 minutes ago, but if you sent something to me and never heard back, be sure to beermail me. I think I've got everyone covered so far.
  31. We're now up to $840 total in donations. Let's get into 4 figures, shall we?
  32. You're $50 dollars closer now.
    Cheers.
  33. If this LIF doesn't convince you to donate, and you're a sports fan, you should watch (or should have watched) ESPN's 30 for 30: Survive and Advance. When Valvano gives his speech to an assembly of NC State alumni, it'll bring tears to your eyes. Just sayin'. (Jimmy V died of cancer; the V Foundation gives millions to cancer research every year.)
  34. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

After leaving this page up forever I have finally found time to donate. Might come back again and 'spend' some more once that good old paycheck arrives into ye old bank account
  35. Alright, everyone, the official deadline for this is 3PM Pacific (6 EST) on Saturday. My plan is to hold the drawing during my March Madness party. Get those donations in.
  36. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I watched this the other night and I can not lie...I might have shed a tear or two
  37. Only a couple days to go.
  38. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

I was a student at NC State when Jimmy V gave that speech. It was a pretty surreal day on campus when he passed. Donated a while back. Glad to see others kicking in too.
  39. A little over 5 hours to go.