1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

50/50 Eclipse in MA

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by jamvt, Jan 3, 2013.

1. noob

noob Member

I find it interesting that one of the worst whiskeys of the bunch is everyone's favorite of the Eclipse. Makes me wonder if the barrels used were fresher/wetter than the rest or whatnot.

I also find it strange that if these were in such high demand, why they made it to the MA market.
  2. woosterbill

woosterbill Member

Blind, there's no way I could tell what brand of bourbon was used, but there are definitely differences between the Eclipses. A couple years ago I was lucky enough to partake of an Eclipse tasting that included EC 12, PvW, HH (two vintages), 4 Roses, and Brandy. The differences between bourbons were subtle but noticeable, while the rye and (obviously) brandy were totally distinct.

I don't doubt that, given a side-by-side comparison of Corn Whiskey Eclipse and any other, I could identify the Corn Whiskey. I'm not a huge fan of corn whiskey, though, so I didn't see the point in dropping $30 to confirm this prediction - I'll just have to see whether wheated Bourbon stands out from a traditional mash. Darn. :D
  3. Sesmu

Sesmu Member

Side by side comparison could show a lot of nuances, sure. But I doubt that the average beer drinker, and I don't meant to apply a negative meaning to the phrase, would be able to tell that the barrel, used to age beer, previously contained whiskey, whose mash consisted of 51% corn and not 80%. Or vice versa.

P.S.
    Wheat in bourbon mash, while in the minority, is hardly non-traditional. It's been known since mid-XIX century, at least.
  4. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

You're 100% correct, which is why it's so silly that people get crazy over Pappy barrel aged beers. The average beer drinker couldn't even point out the difference between a glass of Four Roses and a glass of Pappy 23, nevermind distinguishing the mere fumes that get imparted into a barrel aged RIS. What seems to make more of a difference is how long a beer is aged for in the barrel, not what type of bourbon is used.

That said, that's the entire point of this Eclipse series - to compare and contrast the various bourbon/whiskey barrels. There's no question that you can tell the difference between them, be it side by side or even some time apart.
  5. woosterbill

woosterbill Member

Perhaps I should have said "standard" instead of "traditional," but I think my meaning was clear: when Bourbon is made with wheat as one of its minority grains, it's called wheated Bourbon, but when it has rye instead nobody calls it "ryed Bourbon" - it's just plain Bourbon.

I've done some more reading, though, and while my meaning may have been clear enough, my facts were wrong. I didn't realize until just now that Bernheim is a genuine Wheat Whiskey, and no more a Bourbon than Rye is; also, I wasn't aware that Old Fitzgerald itself is a wheated Bourbon.

Now I kind of wish I'd sprung for an EC 12 and a Rittenhouse Rye, so as to see the differences between majority wheat, corn with wheat, corn with rye, and majority rye.
  6. Patrick

Patrick Member

I've had two versions of the rye, and both have been great. The '09 was especially delicious. Can't justify $30 for beers like this anymore though.
  7. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Member

Average??? According to the very website to which you and I both subscribe, the Eclipses are "Exceptional." I have four of them. I drank the Elijah Craig 12--amazing. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to drinking the Evan Williams. EW is my favorite bourbon, and I'm originally from Ky.
  8. Tashbrew

Tashbrew Member

The Mellow Corn Whiskey is made with a very high corn mash 71% or higher. It is aged in 2nd use Bourbon barrels(it is the 2nd use) and thus cannot envoke the term Bourbon. The high corn mash causes the whiskey to be a tad bit sweeter and a sensation of oiliness on the pallette. The whiskey is less oaky and lacks the depth and complexity we expect from spirits aged in first use barrels. The Mellow Corn Eclipse demstrates this as a more suttle oak signature while showing a bit more EtOH. I wanted to use these barrels for Eclipse so I could experince the expression of the 2nd use barrel. After stating the above the actual whiskey is looking like a new entrant for mixologists to use in cocktails versus a 'sipping Bourbon'.
  9. Sesmu

Sesmu Member

I hope my reply didn't offend you. And no, what you meant was not clear to me. I thought you used the term as in unorthodox, so... But it is clear now.

You might be surprised, but the term is not used as often as you might think. Not trying to sound snobbish, but most people do not understand the terms written on the bottles, such as "straight" or "sour mash", let alone something that requires some research.
  10. Sesmu

Sesmu Member

:) That's exactly when I started thinking about it, a while ago. When people talked about it as if using Van Winkle alone guarantees a great, almost the best, barrel aged beer.

I hope I didn't sound like I'm trying to knock down the entire idea behind it. It is very interesting, agreed.
  11. Sesmu

Sesmu Member

80% is the minimum for corn. If I'm not mistaken, Mellow Corn is 80% corn, 10% barley and 10% rye.
  12. Tashbrew

Tashbrew Member

It should have read 81% Corn. Thanks for the fact check. Mellow Corn is an interesting spirit...I think it was created as an answer to the surge in interest Bourbon and cocktails.
  13. TWStandley

TWStandley Member

On one hand, I want to go buy a bunch of these, but on the other hand...seems rather gimmicky to me....

oh the dilemma....
  14. scubahood

scubahood Member

Does anyone have all the wax colors and which beers they are?
  15. nathanjohnson

nathanjohnson Member

16. Auror

Auror Member

Blanchard's Allston received a couple of the Elijah 12, Corn Whiskey, Rittenhouse Rye, and Evan Williams. $31.95 off the shelf (on top of the whiskey case).
  17. bootdown21

bootdown21 Member

Table and Vine announced last night they have some.

2012 Wax Guide and name of barrel:

Purple - Elijah Craig 12yr
    Blue - Old Fitzgerald
    Beige - Bernheim Wheat
    Green - Rittenhouse Rye
    Black - Evan Willams
    Metallic Gold - Corn Whiskey

We got One Case each - No Holding - First Come First Serve.
    $29.99/22oz bottle
  18. concealed

concealed Member

DAmn, didnt realize these were getting distributed in MA, I would pay $30 all day
  19. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

Still more around in the Boston area at least. They're sitting in a few places cause of the high price tag. Check the regs....
  20. concealed

concealed Member

I actually live out in Western Mass, thanks to the above post I am gonna swing by Table and Vine, hopefully pick up some Founders IS and Lagunitas Sucks too!

Thanks for the tips guys
  21. Dope

Dope Member

Anyone seen the Bernheim or Rebel Yell in the North Shore?

Dope
  22. JGuill

JGuill Member

Muckey's Liquors in Lakeville has 5 different ones in stock
  23. JrGtr

JrGtr Member

I had a chance to try to corn whiskey varient the other day, and I did enjoy it. Not enough to justify the 30 bucks though. If they had released a pack of say, 2 oz "nips" (to use the spirits term) OK all six, I very possibly would have spent to $30 to see them all side by side by side. Even a mixed 6-pack of 12-oz-ers for $40 or under I could justify going with some friends for a tasting.
  24. Beerandraiderfan

Beerandraiderfan Member

CA, being the progressive state it is (cough), has some additional level taxation scheme on barreled/strong beers beyond the usual taxation scheme on beers (someone more informed can provide the specifics). Please don't report me for posting this, even if heavy handed taxation on beer is your thing, I'm not taking a position on this, just providing information.

This is why you are more likely to see Stone's barrel beer kegs outside of CA: They aren't being hit double taxation wise like they would for selling w/in CA.

Anyways, if you believe that the base beer for Eclipse, Totality, is 10% abv, and that it can age in a variety of bourbon barrels, heck, even have an Iced Eclipse version of it, and the abv goes down to 9.5% abv . . .

Essentially, what I'm saying is: This beer might taste (and it does) like its only 9.5% abv, but that information painted on the label is, well, more for taxation purposes than beer information lets say?
    jsilva and Auror like this.
  25. Kenny411

Kenny411 Member

if anyone is looking for any.. I think Yankee Spirits Stubridge has some.
  26. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Member

Harringtons in chelmsford and georgios in bellerica still have black blue gold and green
  27. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Member

Julio's in Westborough still has 5 diff kinds
  28. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

If Julio's ain't selling after 6 weeks, the market has spoken. $30 is too damn high...
  29. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Member

I am in complete agreement that it's too damn high. On the other hand, I did pay for 1 each for myself to try (2 more for trades). In the end, they took our damned money!
  30. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Member

Still pretty much seeing these everywhere. I dont think I would have even done these for $20. So many other great IS options available!
    WeymouthMike likes this.
  31. Massbmx

Massbmx Member

Ha if you guys think 30 is bad (which I do too, passed them over many times) you should see what Wine & More Mansfield has them for.
  32. AReno00

AReno00 Member

Didn't we see this with Nebraska Brewing's barrel aged beers a few years ago? Those $25-30 bottles are going to move real slow.
    Trevdawg likes this.
  33. Trevdawg

Trevdawg Member

Those are also back on the shelf haha going to sit.
  34. Archemedies

Archemedies Member

40? I know the Wine in More down in Wareham loves to screw people on bombers.
  35. Patrick

Patrick Member

Just a heads up to everyone, they knocked the price from ~$31 down to $26 at Martignettis on Soldiers Field Rd. Still probably about 10 on the shelf.