1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

50/50 Eclipse variants released

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by krl2112, Dec 19, 2012.

1. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

They are starting to release these at various Binny's in the Chicago area now. 5 variants at $30 each. Glen Ellyn and Downers Grove have them today.

2. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

I'll wait till more reviews come for these guys before I drop $30 a bottle, I was pretty underwhelmed by most of them last year. The Elijah Craig 18 however was fantastic.

MarkIntihar and RC0032 like this.
  3. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

doubt i'll be dropping the scratch on one of these. 30 bucks is a lot for a single bottle, and i've already bought so much bourbon county in the past few months that i can't justify such a purchase

4. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

And it would be hard to buy just one -- gotta compare one against the other! I too passed after spending 400 bucks on Bourbon County the past few months....

5. krl2112

I bought all 5. We shall see how they are. I also bought a couple cases of BCS but wanted to check out these as well.

6. CMB2012

CMB2012 Savant (255) Illinois Nov 26, 2008

Which variants made it here?

7. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Eclipse, the thinnest BA stout north of $30. I'll save my $ for BCBS cases.

yeahnatenelson likes this.
  8. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

But but but....they're WAX-DIPPED!!! :D

9. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

WLV has Grand Cru, Evan Williams, Old Fitz, Rittenhouse Rye, and Bernheim Wheat Whiskey

10. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

The ones that came to Chicago are Heaven Hill Mellow Corn, Evan Williams, Old Fitzgerald, Rittenhouse Rye, and Bernheim Wheat. No Grand Cru.

11. Bay01

My bad - Metallic Gold = Mellow Corn Regular Gold = Grand Cru

12. mattizmyname

mattizmyname Aficionado (150) Aug 2, 2012

Was at WLV yesterday off the facebook post that they had them. Went in and got the shady "I don't know what you're talking about, maybe in the next couple weeks." Made me sad :(. I guess I wasn't cool enough.

bauermj likes this.
  13. KJabo

KJabo Aficionado (155) Illinois Aug 8, 2012

I have a bottle of the Elijah Craig 12 purchased yesterday. Purplish wax.

14. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

THANK GOD

15. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Huh, weird. This year's?

16. Glen Ellyn Binny's has the EC12.

17. KJabo

KJabo Aficionado (155) Illinois Aug 8, 2012

Yep. Thats where i got mine.

18. krl2112

Yeah so are all the Pipeworks brews. How's that working for them? LOL.

19. Treebs

This is a stupid statment. Stop being ignorant and go drink a Galaxy Unicorn.

sleuthdog, ravot, jbland21 and 4 others like this.
  20. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I'd rather spring the extra $5 and get a case of Zombie Dust. Or better yet, like 3 bottles of classic gueuze, girardin black label, or 3F oude gueuze online.

craigo19 likes this.
  21. krl2112

It was not stupid, it was a joke, just like pmoney's. I just am not a fan of Pipeworks and was making the same joke. I do find it funny that soooo many brews are dipping in wax these days. It used to be cool but now it's like its not even worth anyone's time if they don't have wax.

22. CityofBals

They are expanding and becoming more creative with each beer, so... they are doing well.

23. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Aficionado (155) Illinois Apr 29, 2011

...what?

sleuthdog and pmoney like this.
  24. CityofBals

You can get all of those offline for <$35 (and avoid waiting for the box to arrive)!

25. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Oh I know, I have been buying 375s of Tilquin, 3F Oude Gueuze, and Girardin Black Label for weeks. Might go pick up a case just ot have around as shower beers.

CityofBals likes this.
  26. Treebs

Your joke was not even close to pmoney's. That's fine that you don't like Pipeworks. I'm curious as to how many beers you've had by them and how recent? And some of their waxing has been to distinguish between different batches as well so it's not "to be cool".

EDIT: Beers waxed by Pipeworks

Abduction
    Blue Lady (to distinguish from batch 1 which had some flaws)
    End of Days (to distinguish from the first batch which was thin, different recipe)
    Last Kiss
    BA Smoked Porter (to distinguish between different batches)

They currently have 30 bottled beers, five of them are waxed and three of those are to make it easier on the consumer to distinguish between batches, not to "be cool".

27. Bottles and Cans (NorthCenter/LinconSquare) has all 5 for $29.99 each.

28. krl2112

OK so I tried their Milk Stout which was fine but nothing special and Abduction as well, again ok but nothing special. Both have been in the last several weeks. Waxing for Eclipse has been the exact same as what you mention for Pipeworks, to distinguish between variants. So u made my point. All I was doing was taking the last joke and embellishing on it. You need to take a xanax and relax dude. It was just a joke. Geez. I just started the thread to let everyone know that if they were interested in picking this up, it's available. But any then start bitchin and complaining. Just say thank you for the info and move on.

29. CityofBals

I can distinguish simply by reading the bottle of Eclipse, they do not need to wax them.

30. Treebs

Cool, you tried two beers and don't like the brewery. Very informative decision you've made. I guess "ok" now means bad in today's craft beer world.

31. The color of the wax is used to differentiate between the different barrels used, the names are not written on the bottle. Well, at least on the 2011 bottles, haven't had any 2012 yet.

32. CityofBals

My post was to inflame the reputation of Eclipse as worthy of different barrel treatments. They are all the same moat water to me.

33. Bay01

Thank you for trashing the work of hardworking entrepreneurs who've given us a wider variety of interesting beer to choose from based on your very narrow experience. Moving on now...

Hugonaut13, gill897 and CityofBals like this.
  34. Bay01

CityofBals likes this.
  35. krl2112

I was not trashing. Geez everyone calm down!!! Wtf??

36. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

I've got a project for you:

Try Ninja vs Unicorn
    Try Glaucus
    Try Galaxy Unicorn
    Try End of Days
    Try Blue Lady
    Try Well Read Temptress
    Try Cranpire
    Try Hyper Dog
    Try Blood of the Unicorn
    Try Citra Ninja
    Try North & Western
    Try Something Hoppy This Way Comes
    Try Santa vs Unicorn

Then get back to me.

Kubrickx, sleuthdog, eorwar and 3 others like this.
  37. CityofBals

Or if you have ADHD, get to the point and try Galaxy Unicorn (bottled two days ago).

38. comte70

comte70 Aficionado (105) Illinois Sep 23, 2008

Now on the shelf at the Binnys in Lakeview

39. CityofBals

Not anymore.

MIA4IPA likes this.
  40. krl2112

So this is going to be my last comment on my OP. First off, da_bulls is correct and CityofBals is incorrect in that the bottles do not say the variant of which the Eclipse is for 2012, hence why they color code the wax. Second, pmoney, it is not very informative of you to recommend I try some of the bottles you mentioned had you known I do not like DIPA (CityofBals suggestion of Galaxy Unicorn) which many of these are. So, for the style I like, I did try a few and again, I did not say they were aweful, just ok. There I have said my piece. Again my original comment was just a joke and not a slight on Pipeworks. I don't like Zombie Dust from FFF and many people like it. That's ok, to each his own. MOVE ON! All my original post was saying is for the people who would LIKE TO KNOW ,Eclipse is now in the Chicago area. Many some of you are like little old ladies bitching about how fast people drive down their blocks!

thereal and stephenieman like this.