1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

50/50 Eclipse variants released

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by krl2112, Dec 19, 2012.

1. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (295) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

I picked up a Rittenhouse Rye and a Evan Williams bottle today at Vav's. Probably should have spent the money on 3 more 4 packs of BCBS, but I already have a lot and it's the holidays and I'm just saying F it. I like trying new beers.
    Hatzilla, Alpar and krl2112 like this.
  2. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

Sucks for you. More for me!

EDIT: Also I'll brush-up on my mind-reading skills.
    Treebs likes this.
  3. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Take it all bro.
  4. comte70

comte70 Aficionado (105) Illinois Sep 23, 2008

Atta boy...
  5. sacullen

sacullen Aficionado (245) Illinois Oct 14, 2008

Castle Vav had them all on the shelf today. Based on past experience, I shall purchase nary of them
  6. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Oh yeah, that works NOW, but what about after you drank 3 or 4 of them? then what are you going to do mr smarty-pants-reading-guy
    CityofBals likes this.
  7. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Probably not collectible enough for him.
  8. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

This could be FFF's answer to making Baller Stout a collectible. Does FFF do IP trades?
    Etan likes this.
  9. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Advocate (700) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

This is the correct answer.
    sleuthdog and Etan like this.
  10. IPx

IPx Savant (260) Illinois Mar 22, 2010

I 100% agree with you in that the Elijah Craig 18 year was the best out of all the variants that I had last year (Grand Cru, Four Roses, and I forgot what the brandy barrel one was called).
    Unfortunately, when you drink a GI BCBS before drinking the Eclipses, the BCBS wrecks your palate. You know that the Eclipses are supposed to be good, however, BCBS is that much better. At $30 per bottle, IMO it's not worth the premium to pick up one of these. I'd drop the $20-25 for a 4 pack of BCBS any day over any of the Eclipses variants.
    Anonymous1 and thereal like this.
  11. Why are you drinking a 14+% beer BEFORE a 9%?
  12. I think rittenhouse rye and grand cru were the best Versions last year, followed by ec12 and brandy. I have yet to try any of this years but I am betting on the Evan Williams, ec 12 and mellow corn to be the best.
  13. IPx

IPx Savant (260) Illinois Mar 22, 2010

No particular reason at all. I just felt like having a BCBS first and then my buddy wanted to crack his Elijah Craig 18 year so naturally I said "Uh, okay!"
    It may be comparing apples to oranges however regardless of the alcohol content, the BCBS '12 was way smoother and way more drinkable with the bourbon notes complementing the beer. The Elijah Craig was 1 year older than the '12 but it tasted more unbalanced compared to the former beer. You'd think after 1 year of aging, the older bourbon barrel aged beer would be more drinkable but that was not the case. Again, this is just my report on what my tongue tells me. It may not be reflective of all BA's experiences.
  14. Lexo430

Lexo430 Disciple (70) Illinois Dec 27, 2011

The BCBS is a way more heavier beer to be compared to EC18, IMO
  15. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (660) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I grabbed a couple today: Rittenhouse Rye and EC 12 year, I'll try anything once I suppose. Paid $26.99 each. If I try them and dont think it was worth it I simply won't buy them again.
  16. Cottage Corner on North Ave in Elmhurst has the EC variety. $32 per. Behind the counter with several other goodies (cough CoffeeBCS cough)
  17. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (400) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

crazy off topic but........ with this discussion of not liking DIPA's or zombie dust, how is this possible? I'm am insanely burned out on them, and have avoided them as off the last year but to say your don't LIKE a pale ale or zombie dust is crazy speak. I'm sure you liked or loved them in the past and are currently burned out. Alright, my piece, lets get back to debating wax dipping.
  18. Lexo430

Lexo430 Disciple (70) Illinois Dec 27, 2011

$26.99 is probably the lowest price i've heard of so far.
  19. LP Binnys got EC12. All variants on the shelf as of today around 5.
    Bought one of each over the last week.

Opened a Bernheim Wheat last night. Chocolate, toffee, whiskey, vanilla and oak. Coating and thick. Not too hot. Super awesome.
  20. bradner

bradner Savant (330) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

Second this, drinking the Bernheim Wheat now and I'm happy that this is one of the two I picked up.
    bootlegger1929 likes this.
  21. What was the other one?
  22. ElGigante

ElGigante Zealot (85) Illinois Feb 28, 2010

Went to my local Binny's and found some black, purple, and I think green waxed bottles. How do I know which is which? I didn't buy one right away because I didn't know which is which. 29.99 for a blind pick is a little steep.
  23. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Advocate (700) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

Black- Evan Williams
    Green- Rittenhouse Rye
    Purple- Elijah Craig 12
    Blue- Old Fitzgerald
    Beige- Bernheim Wheat (I think)
    Metallic Gold- Mellow Corn
  24. Black is Evan Williams. Purple is EC12 year and green is rittenhouse rye. Black and purple are probably the highest rated. The green is pretty special too. Buy all 3.
  25. ElGigante

ElGigante Zealot (85) Illinois Feb 28, 2010

Awesome! Thanks for the info!
  26. bradner

bradner Savant (330) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

Rittenhouse Rye. I have the 2011 Elijah 12 and 18 so I decided to try something different this time.
  27. Nice. The rye was awesome last year. Probably more of the same this year.
  28. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Good to hear. I have one from last year I haven't opened yet.
  29. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

What he said. Last year EC18 was pretty solid, but didn't really hold a candle to 2011 BCBS. I see these on the shelves now and just laugh. A $30 bomber when I can get 48oz of BCBS '12 pretty much anywhere for $22? Not even a a second thought.
  30. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (660) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Their site explains it: http://www.fiftyfiftybrewing.com/
  31. I picked up the EC12 on my trip up north. It was difficult picking one, but I didn't feel like standing there on my phone for 10 minutes reading reviews.
  32. Good call on the EC12! It's actually the highest rated along with the EC18.
    ImperialSnout likes this.
  33. That's good to hear. I couldn't justify purchasing more than 1 $30 bottle.
  34. I could only justify it telling myself it's a Christmas gift from me to me. And I've had some frOm last year and loved them all so I ended up picking up one each of every variety that made it to IL.
  35. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

For anyone else still looking, I just stopped by the Binny's in Plainfield and they had 4 different variants sitting on the shelf with no limit. I amnot sure which they still had but I don't think they still had Elijah 12 left at all. But plenty of others still available.
  36. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Same story at Binny's Willowbrook -- five variants, with a little card explaining which is which beneath.
  37. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

Any reason why we're getting all the non-brewery only releases except Rebel Yell?
  38. Vav

Vav Savant (475) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Lower yield would be my guess.
    dvelcich likes this.
  39. I thought rebel yell WAS brewery only. Looked that way when they announced futures.. Could be wrong though.
  40. This is from the CA forum.

said: ↑
    EC12, Rye, Evan W, Old Fitz, Mellow Corn, Bernheim Wheat. Rebel Yell was futures only, GHS Blend is exclusive for Gourment Haus Stadt in Redwood City, CA. Grand Cru is brewery only and EC20 may see select markets but as of the moment is brewery only(sales).
    bought a bottle of '12 grand cru a few days ago at texas liquor in carlsbad. they also had '12 old fitz and what i thought was elijah craig 18 (purple wax) but i was not sure.
    peteinSD, Dec 17, 2012 Report#261LikeReply
    dvelcich likes this.