1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

50/50 Eclipse variants released

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by krl2112, Dec 19, 2012.

1. quilty

quilty Aficionado (190) Illinois Dec 12, 2010

there's a bunch of these @ the counter @ food smart diversey. i didn't look, but i'd guess you'll save $3-5 per bottle there.

2. A local bottle shop is getting 6 variants in from this list in the photo below (no PvW, though). No info on which 6 of the 8 yet, but I'm wondering if you can only pick 2, which 2 would you pick?

[​IMG]
    I'm interested in the EC 12 and thinking Four Roses. Thoughts? Thanks.

Al

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

Aren't there a bunch of 2012 Eclipse variants still sitting around as shelf turds?

forrestbetts and kodt like this.
  4. bradner

bradner Savant (340) Illinois Dec 26, 2007

Aged one year on the shelf! Regardless, still planning to buy a couple of these. I drank the EC 20 yr 2011 the other night and it was very good.

5. mdomask

That was the one I actually put down money for, since I heard the best things about it. I've had a couple of the others, and they all seem a bit... thin.

$30 is just too steep for these, especially in BCBS's home market.

Edit: I remember seeing two guys in 2011 both buying all 6 variants at ~ $35 a piece. They tried telling me they were the greatest beers ever. I'm sure those beers are still sitting unopened somewhere...

6. taxman

taxman Savant (265) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I still see a lot of 2012 sitting around. That tells me that the market says that they are too expensive for what they are and that there are other barrel aged stouts available that are as goo or better for less money. I tend to agree.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  7. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

my case of BBPt5 costs as much as 4 variants, and it tastes a heck of a lot better.

#humblebrag

core42, tinypyramids, mdomask and 2 others like this.
  8. aclara

aclara Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 16, 2011

few places starting to mark them down to $19.99,

9. dukedevil0

dukedevil0 Savant (265) Illinois Nov 7, 2008

If so, I'd love to know where.

forrestbetts likes this.
  10. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (270) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

Armanettis Grand and Western has them for $25.99(marked down from $34.99). If they hit $20, may bite as well

11. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

All the 2013 variants have arrived in the city. Evan Williams, Elijah Craig 12, Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, High West Bourbon, High West Rye, Java Coffee, 4 Roses...there may be one more i cant remember (i've been drinking. Zombie Dust, if you can believe it.) Chicago got everything EXCEPT Rum & Pappy. Case prices are the same as last year.

12. I'd like to try the coffee one, but can't bring myself to drop the money on a bottle.

13. going on sale, as well. sale price is the kiss of death for the nieman marcus effect

14. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (320) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

FWIW, I bought the Rittenhouse Rye, Evan Williams and EC 12 last year and all thought they were pretty darn good beers. Were they worth the $30 when I could have gotten more BCBS, probably not. However, I like trying new beers and the EC 12 was actually very, very good. The 3 bottle vertical was fun to taste the differences between the barrels.

Hugonaut13 and bradner like this.
  15. Vav

Vav Savant (495) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I think it speaks volumes that when people ask me about really high priced stuff e.g. Gillian/Eclipse/Bzart/etc, the question is almost never "Is it good?" but instead "Is it worth it?"

My favorite last year was, amazingly, the Heaven Hill Mellow Corn....terrible whiskey whose barrels do amazing things to imperial stouts.

16. mdomask

That does sound fun. Balancing a few expensive hobbies (beer, photography, travel) makes me pass on a lot of the $30+ bottles... like many FFF BA releases. Lenses and plane tickets be expensive :(

Well, the good part of the question kinda gets rolled up into the worth it part. I'm mean, if it's worth it, it must be really really good ;)

17. Ferocious

Ferocious Savant (295) Illinois Nov 17, 2012

That's interesting, that's the variant I still see most often out in the wild.

Props to you Vav, for putting a wax color guide next to the Eclipse facings. I wish more bottle shops did that so I didn't inevitably have to whip out my phone and google it every single time.

Vav likes this.