1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

50/50 Eclipse variations

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by timc100, Dec 25, 2012.

1. timc100

timc100 Savant (315) Illinois Aug 13, 2012

At $30 a pop I was only able to purchase one - Elijah Craig 12yr. I loved it. I'm wondering how much of a difference each whiskey barrel yields - does the Evan Williams taste different enough to be considered a entirely different beer?

2. barrels? hell son, i've been told different bottles of the same barrel are like a different beer. it's a complete surprise, like unwrapping a present on xmas mornin-.... oh wait

3. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I'm not a huge whiskey drinker so I may not be able to tell the difference between them. My palate just isn't trained to those variations. Similar to a person new to ipas. I'm sure a lot of them taste the same to most.

4. While the variations do have obvious similarities, there are definitely noticeable differences in the barrel characters. Both the Elijah Craig 12 and 18 are standouts among the Eclipse series to me. If you could only get one, you chose one of the best.

5. I got both the EC and EW versions and I'm curious about this myself. I don't know whether to let them both sit for a while or just drink them now.

6. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I have an 18 EC barrel, and a Cognac barrel Stout. I'm sitting on them until I feel like drinking them.

7. BlastBeats

BlastBeats Savant (425) Illinois Mar 24, 2011

I really enjoyed the Elijah Craig 12 year I had; good call on that one... the Grand Cru? Not so much.

I picked up a Rittenhouse Rye and Evan Williams from this year's vintage - have high hopes!

Cheers

8. I'd drink them sooner. I had two bottles of the EC18 from last year. The one I drank fresh was outstanding. The one I had last week was above average, but nothing to rave about.

The thorny issue is that this could as easily be bottle variations as opposed to aging effects, so take it for what its worth.

9. IKR

IKR Savant (320) California May 25, 2010

The 2012 Elijah Craig and Evan Williams had the same roast malt profiles and base beer characteristics but the barrel treatment resulted in different bal-aging profiles, at least to my tastes. I had the 2011 Elijah Craig on tap recently and I thought it was consistent with the 2012 bottle I had. I hope this bodes well to the bottle variations Levitation has posted about here and in the past. I'm going to sit on the rest of my bottles for roughly a year, so we'll see what happens regarding the aging and bottle variation.

10. The 18yr was a great beer, although not worth the price IMHO.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  11. largadeer

largadeer Champion (790) California Sep 24, 2006

Drink them now. Most versions of Eclipse are at their best when fresh.

12. None of the variations are worth the price tag IMHO. Very good beers though, especially the EC examples. Had the 2011 EC 20 year last night and again, a good representation of the style, but nothing less and nothing more. I'd gladly take Parabola over them at about 1/2 the price.

13. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

I have one of these also. Planning on cracking it on New Years.

14. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

From what I've tried of this year's:
    Rye - a bit leaner and less sweet, more booze than barrel but still nice.
    EC 12 - Sweeter, fuller body, nice vanilla/marshmallow from the barrel, good balance of bourbon.
    Gourmet Haus Staudt blend - Thick, a little sweet, good mix of bourbon and corn whiskey, nice vanilla/barrel finish. My fav of this year thus far.

Got futures of the Rye and Old Fitz that I'm looking forward to trying, plus 1 bottle of the GHS blend that I'm gonna hold onto. Should prob open my 2011 EC18 sometime soon too.

15. You mean one might taste awesome and the other is more awesome? Who do I send my $30 bills to for this?

afrokaze likes this.
  16. Drank a '11 Elijah Craig 12yr about a couple months ago and it was pretty amazing. So letting them sit for a bit probably isnt too bad.

Havent had the '12 EC 12 yr yet but it gets tough buying these things when theyre $30 a pop. Also makes it tough when you walk into a store to pick up an Eclipse and see Cascades sitting on the shelves.

17. Seriously people? Drink them fresh.