1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

50 must try hoppy beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beertunes, Apr 4, 2012.

1. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

2. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

Hopslam and Hop Wallop belong on there
  3. jwat

jwat Savant (375) Pennsylvania Jan 19, 2012

So many of those I wanna try, probably only have had about a dozen of them. My addition to that list would be double crooked tree
    Lantern likes this.
  4. Maharaja and duganA both belong on there for sure.
    Lantern likes this.
  5. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Seems like they just put one per brewery.
  6. Man there is some good stuff. Makes me want to go buy a Ruination right NOW! I will say that there a lot there that I have not tried. Interesting list.
  7. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Sam Adams beat out Sculpin? WTF?!

Nothing from Alpine? This list is utter fail.

More fail, it's PNW rag and pretty much the majority of winners are non-distributed beers vs. beers they can probably get in the bottle. They obviously didn't reach out very far in attempting to do any research. This article is a showcase of PNW beers, which is what they should have focused on: WA & OR beer. Several I'm dying to try though....but only if I hop a flight.

I counted: 25 beers are from the PNW, screw the rest of the country.
    beerguy2784 and jtmartino like this.
  8. I like the idea of one per brewery, and an intesting list. No smuttynose though!

Also, I personally dont even really like flower power, but given its popularity among most surprised not to see that on the list as well.
  9. No Flower Power? WTH?
    muletrane and VonZipper like this.
  10. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Heady Topper, Hopslam, Maharaja, Dreadnaught, Founders Double Trouble or Harvest Ale, Lagunitas Sucks... Come on now. Way too many big guns missing from the list.

Definitely interested in trying those that I haven't had, though.
  11. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Except Boneyard is near the top...where it should be :)
  12. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Not a bad list, but these beers should be on it:

Furious
    Abrasive
    Younger
    Hopslam

Many more as well, but it's not easy to narrow a list down to 50 in the first place...Love that Prima Pils is on this...on of my fav session beers
  13. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

I'll be there in the end of June. Can't wait to try out all that Bend has to offer.
  14. thereal

thereal Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 20, 2010

Dubhe tastes like the inside of an assy ashtray.
  15. phisigben

phisigben Savant (345) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

I cant believe someone hasn't commented that Pliny is only 12th, it is easily top 3.
    clarkm04 likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

An internet list not everyone agrees on?

Get the heck outta here.
  17. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (330) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

I would add Daisy Cutter...
  18. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

WHAT!! a website based out of Oregon, doing a mainly PNW related article. The outrage!!

Cheers!
    VonZipper and beerme411 like this.
  19. surly abrasive not on the list
  20. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

IIRC, one of the guys who runs the blog also works at one of the more well-known beer stores in PDX, so this list might a combination of whats local to them, stuff they've traded for and stuff that's been on the shelves. There's a couple of head scratchers for me too, but I thought they did OK with representing non-West Coast brews.
  21. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Good list, but Prima Pils ranked higher than Ruination, Pliny, Mongo, Alpha King, Myrcenary and West Coast IPA? Please.
  22. I've never heard of more than half of the beers on that list.
  23. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Surprised not to see a lot of good brews. Interesting article non the less.
  24. This list is CRAP... And the whole "One Beer Per Brewery" crap is a lie!
    They have Avery IPA (31) and then Avery Hog Heaven (28).
    TOTAL FAIL!
  25. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

I GET MAD ABOUT TOTALLY IRRELEVANT OPINION ARTICLES TOO!!!!!!!!!!!
    SaintJonah, Brew33 and VonZipper like this.
  26. Glibber

Glibber Savant (300) Idaho Jan 25, 2009

I stopped to have a beer this afternoon, and sampled the Hoptimum and Stone Levitation. Ended up getting a Saison from Belgium because I was not up for such a hoppy beer.
  27. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Eh, it's a list and highly subjective. But any best of IPA list without Head Hunter on it is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
    fiver29 and bastu like this.
  28. rrock44

rrock44 Savant (315) Washington Oct 27, 2009

I am impressed that the hometown brewery from my little sparrow fart town made number 13 on the list. Ice harbor brewery, "beer so fresh you'll have to slap it." Pretty cool.
  29. Hair of the Dog Blue Dot is conspicuously absent and a PNW beer...
  30. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (645) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Yep, this list is bunk.
  31. Two words. Nugget Nectar. Eff Brewpublic. Seriously. I can't believe Hopslam or Heady Topper were excluded, as well.
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  32. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Someone is always going to be left with the big " WTF " when these types of lists are released. I actually enjoy reading what other brew brains consider the " best of the best " I've had quite few of these and many more I just discovered for the first time.

Yea there are some obvious omissions but it is what it is.

Cheers.......
  33. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

I've only had 15 of those. The list makes you realize how many great hoppy beers there are out there, because I assume every one of us reading it is like "But there's no X, Y, Z, etc"... there are probably 30 or 40 great hoppy beers off the top of my head, not on that list, that I would opt for over several of the beers that ARE on that list.
  34. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

This list seems very west coast/pacific northwest heavy. Don't get me wrong, it's a good list, but there's lots of other highly sought after hoppy beers that aren't on this list.
  35. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

That list is so esoteric, it's almost useless to me
  36. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I really wouldn't call Latitude 48 IPA as a must try. Not that it isn't good, I just don't think its anything special.
  37. potteryboy

potteryboy Aficionado (130) Alabama Jul 17, 2009

Weak list. Too many omissions to mention. We could easily make a list of the 100 Must Try Hoppy Beers, not on the 50 Must Try Hoppy Beers list! Oh well. Having a Deviant Dale's, and yes, it is on the list. Do I feel better, I don't know. Nugget Nectar is on deck.
    TheHopHeadGirl likes this.
  38. Glad to see Elevated IPA on the list, even though it's La Cumbre not La Cumbra as they spell it in the article. Sadly it's tap only until they get their canning line set up sometime this summer.
  39. What, no Jai Alai?
  40. This week I have had Gandi-bot, Port Mongo, Sculpin, Nugget Nectar, Maine Lunch, Flower Power, Ruthless Rye(yeah I know which one don't belong here) and it only the third day of the week. Damn I should try for a 50 IPA week.