1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

512 in the DFW area?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by maltmuncher, Sep 5, 2012.

1. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Aficionado (195) Aug 22, 2012

Where do YALL get 512 brews from in the DFW area?
  2. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (770) Texas Jun 14, 2012

The Bottle Shop on lower Greenville in Dallas always has one 512 brew on tap, they fill growlers.
  3. maltmuncher

WAIT! A minute so people buy these growlers so they can buy beer from pubs and bring them home? I had no clue this could even be done! Is this just something with that shop or can other bars in the area do this? If so I have only be able to find one location that had a single item of 512 it was the pecan porter, I would love to take a growler in for a fill and bring it home!
  4. TX-Badger

We can buy beer from specialty shops such as The Bottle Shop, or also in Dallas, the Whole Foods Market on Park Lane and in Lakewood off of Abrams both fill growlers as well. WFM usually have local beers on tap, things from Deep Ellum Brewing Co. and Lakewood Brewing Co. The typical bar/pub, at least in my humble knowledge, is not able to fill growlers, but places like The Bottle Shop have a drink in and carry out permit that allows for this (they also close/stop selling at 12am because of this special permit). If you check The Bottle Shop's Facebook page, they update their tap selections pretty regularly.
  5. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Bars that sell beer and wine only can do growler fills. If they sell spirits, no go. Not saying all places will, but they could.
  6. maltmuncher

Sweet! Now here is an odd question, if I try to check with police about any type of local law I need to be made sure of before I go driving in my car with a container like this. Should I word or ask for details about something certian or just ask if I can drive through town xyz with a growler on my way back home?
  7. DanzBorin

It's a closed container. No issues that I can think of.
  8. TX-Badger

^^ I just put my growler on the floor of the back seat, out of sight and never had an issue.
  9. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I usually have the growler up to my mouth in the car, with my head out the window, flicking off the cops while yelling "Woooooooooo!" between gulps.

That doesn't work as well. It's also difficult to drive with no hands on the wheel.

I really wish (512) would bottle regularly. Man, I would love to buy a 6-pack of (512) IPA and Pecan Porter. They do bottle an occasional rarity once a year (they've bottled 3 times thus far)... but you've gotta be literally in motion at the time it's announced they're out to score one of those.
    jbeezification and Exiled like this.
  10. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

This. I actually just put them on the floor of the back seat, i dont even worry about "out of sight". once even strapped them into the back seatbelts, got stopped for a light out and the cop didnt even say anything about the weird kids in the backseat ;)
  11. DanzBorin

Has it been whiskey pecan every time?

I got 1 bottle of that last release.
  12. Lutter

They also did (512) Wild Bear and THREE as bottle releases last year. Very limited though, much less than 512 WBDPP.... ~500 bottles IIRC. I'd expect to see FOUR as well as another this winter followed up by another batch of 512 WBDPP in spring of next year.
  13. DanzBorin

Never had Three or Wild Bear.

I've had quite a few of their other offerings though. I do wish they'd bottle though. Looks like Deep Ellum will beat them to the punch even though they've been around a lot less time.
  14. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (550) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I wanted that too....I opted for something better though......

[​IMG]

Last year I had these two on draft in my home bar. I'm getting another Pecan Porter when one of my current keg blows.
    LadyOfMuchBeer, Exiled, Azzy and 4 others like this.
  15. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Show off. :p
  16. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Quit being a class act...:confused:
  17. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

They don't bottle because they don't want to bottle, not because there's something holding them back.
  18. mhenson42

Not quite sure what this meanso_O
  19. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

It's a nice set-up.:eek:
    mhenson42 likes this.
  20. DanzBorin

I've never understood the "I don't want to make more money" mentality. When a new startup, I get it, but when you've been in the market with a popular product, I think it'd be a natural next step.

That said, to each their own. :)
  21. Lutter

Have you ever heard of "The Velvet Rut"?

It's a term related to musicians who come to Austin to take the world by storm then get into a rut and stall their career because they don't want to leave town. They are able to make a comfortable lifestyle just playing in different venues around town, drinking at bars, and enjoying the natural beauty of the surroundings. They're happy staying where they are rather than seeking fame and fortune outside of the Downtown music scene.

(512) is in the velvet rut right now.
    mattisloco likes this.
  22. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

Can I come over? ;)
    LadyOfMuchBeer and FUNKPhD like this.
  23. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I heard it for the first time when Alejandro Escovedo used it on Bourdain this week. Makes a lot of sense.
  24. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

I think it has more to do with the brewer's stance on being as sustainable as possible rather than a lack of ambition. Kegs and growlers produce less waste so they decided to go that route over bottling.
  25. DanzBorin

Doesn't get it into my house though. ;)

Seriously, I live on the west side of Houston. You don't get growler fills without going in the city or 15+ miles in other directions.

Specs is all we have on a regular basis.

As noted before, it's their decision.
  26. mhenson42

Certainly....but the (512) is long gone... It's GD Oak Aged Yeti and DFH 90 right now. I need to get rid of the 90 minute... I'm sick of it. Lol
  27. DanzBorin

It'd be tough for me to take down a 90 minute keg too.

Yeti would take a while, but it would be cherished.

I'd help if I was in Austin. :)
  28. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

Ill help you put a dent in that GD OA Yeti for sure! o_O
  29. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Where can we get slim kegs of (512) outside of Austin? I mean I understand not bottling I guess...and a half dozen places I know of in Fort Worth carry them as a staple so I can get my fill of $3 pints but I'd like to have some while BBQ'ing during football, tailgating, etc.
  30. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

When I was looking to get a 5 gallon keg of Pecan Porter for my wedding I was told they do not fill slim kegs for commercial (non-bar) sales. Not sure how accurate that information is, but I heard it from a few places around Austin.
  31. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (370) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

They don't bottle because it's hard and costs a lot of money to do right.
  32. Lutter

I've never seen (512) in any configuration other than a 1/2 barrell. Around $149 for a (512) IPA in that size.
  33. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Spec's. I'll ask Bobby this afternoon but I'm pretty sure they can get you 512 kegs.
  34. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Yeah, they're totally lying when they say the reason they don't bottle is that they feel it's wasteful. :rolleyes:
  35. maltmuncher

Oh nice rub in the home setup. ;)
    I have only one option pints going out and lets face it cask at FS is something they are proud of and charge for. However, I got this from the bottleshop via facebook, sent them a message (so guess what I am doing this weekend) :eek:

36. chaseabeer

chaseabeer Savant (370) Oklahoma Feb 4, 2009

Saying its wasteful is easy to justify when the margin on kegging is about 10-15% better then 6-packs. Kegging is easy too.
  37. maltmuncher

I have sent them a request asking for the reasons why or if its an option, lets see what they come back with (if anything)...
  38. mhenson42

They actually use European kegs (made in Germany if I recall correctly) but with US style D-couplings. They are only 13.2 gallons, so not quite a half-barrel (15.5 gallons). I paid about $160-165 out the door at Specs S. Austin for the ones I had. It'd be more if you don't have a keg to swap for the deposit.