1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter (2013)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Lutter, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

(512) just tweeted that this is being bottled right now, so I thought I'd make a thread for discussion of this release.

Texas whalez, bro. Let the games begin!

Anyone hear of a release date yet? I assume it needs to bottle condition for a few weeks and such.

[​IMG]
  2. has it been a year already?? I'm still waiting for more wild bear
    hash_tagger, FUNKPhD and TapThat like this.
  3. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Mmmm cant wait! Has any popped a 2012 recently?
  4. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (680) Texas Jan 13, 2007

I hope this year I can practice more self control. I got two bottles last year and they were gone within a couple weeks... so much for aging!
  5. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I'm out of the hunt this year. $22 last year just to have the thing explode...

Good luck everyone that's after it though. Newbies this is a tough one to get, maybe the toughest in Texas?
  6. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Tough, eh? I'll keep my eyes peeled.
  7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I got 4 bottles last year and they were all fine. Just had my last 2012 about 2 weeks ago and it was still drinkin' great.

Yeah... take the day off for this one if you want it. Sells out about 15 minutes after it drops... and almost all of it dropped on the same day last year. Overnight shift, FTW!
    Clonies720 likes this.
  8. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

9. UHCougar12

Good to know. I may just have to pop my only one when the weather turns off cold again.
    AHood likes this.
  10. jaymesbawned

jaymesbawned Savant (280) Texas Feb 1, 2011

I had one from last year that i gave to a friend. I honestly don't remember how I got it...
  11. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I bought 6 last year and every bottle I have popped was foamy...obviously not what the brewer intended. I have one left and don't have high hopes that it will magically not be a foamy mess like the others. I'm really hoping (512) got the bottling bugs out after last year...on draft this is one of the best brews Texas has to offer but last year's bottles I was a little embarrassed to have traded.
    tjkinate and jbeezification like this.
  12. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

I'm not looking forward in hunting this one down.

A bit tough to find
  13. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Not sure if this is relevant, but I like it.
    AHood and champ103 like this.
  14. DonD

DonD Aficionado (230) Texas Jun 23, 2008

I've been really lucky with this one the past 2 years. It pays to have friends in Austin that enjoy the hunt.
  15. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 12, 2012

Forgive my ignorance, but in the past what retail establishments were the purveyors of this fabled elixer?
  16. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (680) Texas Jan 13, 2007

I got mine from Whip-In & Specs Brodie (1 from each location)
  17. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Savant (330) Texas Dec 18, 2011

This is all direct from my (512) tour...

You will not have the "exploding issues" like last year.
    Expect release in early-ish March.

Edit... I suck at typing in months.
    lokieman and FUNKPhD like this.
  18. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

The usual suspects. However, you also had a fleet of people following the delivery truck from stop to stop, buying out the shop within 15-30m after being delivered.

(512) caused this themselves though, by tweeting the location of each delivery. Hopefully they won't do that this year.
    jbeezification likes this.
  19. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

Living in Austin, I've managed to get this on draught 3-4 times a year. What are the benefits of procuring a bottle if I assume I'll be able to have it a few times a year anyway? Trade bait? How well has it cellared?
    MightyDog likes this.
  20. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Got mine at Whole Foods last year
  21. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I gave one of my two bottles to my sister and her boyfriend who, living in America's frozen hat, would never have gotten to try it.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  22. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Back in December. Was awesome! I only have 1 left and it makes me sad panda...

No carb issues. Cellared at approx 70deg with no sunlight. Chilled for 2 days before bottle share. Let temp raise a bit before opening.
  23. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

If I remember correctly they stopped the live update tweeting after the first day last year because of the issues it caused. I got shut out the first day but still managed to get more than I needed the days following because of it. I'm not sure what they did instead but surely they will not repeat their tweeting mistake this year.
  24. mattchow

mattchow Savant (370) Texas Jun 24, 2012

I started getting into beer when this dropped last year, can't wait for it this year!
  25. FUNKPhD

I started to get into beer the year before that. Needless to say, that was impossible to find.
  26. mattchow

sucks, i had two bottles, still have one left.
  27. FUNKPhD

I have two left. About to send one out. More on the way, so who cares, right?
  28. Lets just hope this one is aged longer than 2 months in the barrels like last years was
  29. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

I got a bottle last year, it wasn't too hard to get and I could have got more but I didn't. The live tweeting was annoying, I remember Brandon at D&Q saying he didn't want to release it on day 1 until after 5 pm but they had tweeted it around 1 that he had it, so he had to release it.
  30. mattchow

so it wasn't 'impossible' to find..
  31. UHCougar12

I only got one, but that was before I knew about D&Q. When was this released last year? I feel like it was April(ish)
  32. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

It was April or May.
  33. Show

Show Aficionado (225) Texas Jul 21, 2011

most over hyped beer in TX...

bring on the rubes
  34. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I dont know. I think the DR series might take that title.
  35. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Living in Houston, I find this on tap at many places around town. I never feel left out if I can't get a bottle, several places I frequent will have it on tap. Just enjoy it when you can find it. Probably won't be infected or have carbonation issues that way. ;)
    Ford likes this.
  36. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

And here we go!
  37. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Welll Flying Saucer Houston has Cascabel Cream Stout with whiskey chips on cask right now... and it's amazing. Had it today... not sure how long it will last there.

I've had the double pecan porter bb on tap before.. it's great.. but I'm not going to chase it.. I know I'll see it on draft here or there.
    champ103 likes this.
  38. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Aficionado (220) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Well I'll be in Austin by the time this comes out, I hope I'll be able to score a couple of bottles.
  39. UHCougar12

That sounds really good. Question is: Should I go down tomorrow and try the 512, or go to my first tasting there on sunday? hmm...
  40. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

That is a tough question... I have no idea how long the cask will last... they also had the regular Cascabel Cream Stout on tap... and it was also delicious... first time for me to have it.. and I have to admit I like it better than their Pecan Porter.