(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter (2013)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Lutter, Jan 25, 2013.

1. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Just my two cents. Isn't this what trading is for? You didn't get something, so now trade for it. I know trading for an in-state beer it's a tough pill to swallow, but if you want something that bad...
    And for those of you who live in Austin or Houston, you should thank your lucky stars that you live in such beer friendly places. I'm sure if you miss out on a release, you'll get something down the road that the other person didn't. Example, I traded a RU-55 for a BB Hellfighter because the guy I traded with missed out on it.

Ford, blatherbeard and HoustonZ33 like this.
  2. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Missed out on RU-55? Its still sitting on shelves everywhere.....o_O

3. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Ya. I know. The full trade was an Abyss and a RU for 2 BB Hellfighter. He said he missed out on both. I wasn't gonna argue, he helped me out.

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  4. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

For me, its all about intent.

If you buy a whole store out with the intent on making money(aka reselling on ebay or something) id consider you a jerk.

If you buy all you can afford, with the intent on getting yourself other beers you cant get here, while exposing others to this absolutely glorious beer(imo and yes im drinking one now and its better this year by FAR and i loved all the others) with other beer"advocates" then im down with you being a better spender than i am.

If you buy all you can afford and keep them to drink, then your my kind of beer guy! ;)

this year i was able to, pretty easily(now knowing where to hit) get 5 bottles. I dont trade but my brother dave, who will be my brewmaster in my new brewpub if it ever gets off the ground, lives in Louisiana, so at least 1 bottle always goes to him. (im considering 2 this year, since ive gotten more than i ever have in past releases....considering. ;) )

I was actually hoping that mattchow didnt score any so he would have needed to trade me for a BBa hellfighter like we talked about before the jk party i couldnt make ;)

5. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

I managed 1 for my friend and none for myself (well, 2 total if you count the 1 that the pavement enjoyed thanks to Kegs & Barrels giving me a busted bag :mad:)

6. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Savant (250) Texas Jun 25, 2011

I saw a few people here looking for a bottle. I might be willing to part with one, but I don't know for what. I'm not making any promises, but it's certainly a possibility if anybody wants to try :).

7. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I think as long as you share your beer with friends or trade it afar... as long as you're spreading love, it all works out in the end.

Missed out on a release? Don't worry, there'll be another great beer next week!

8. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I was able to buy 4. Havent drank a bottle yet since Ive ust being going to little woodrows and having it on tap lol

blatherbeard likes this.
  9. mrkmrk

Update: Had a bottle last night. Nothing wrong with this batch, I'm glad to report :). Absolutely fantastic, and just about how I remembered it on draught. I could sit here and huff this shit for hours.

10. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

I'm more than happy to bring you that bottle of BBA hellfighter man! I'll be up there sometime in April for the 512 tour. I'll BM when the time comes..

I still need to try it on tap, I had a bottle last night, great stuff

blatherbeard likes this.
  11. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (375) Texas Oct 2, 2007

On tap right now at Gingerman Houston

12. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

This used to be me. I would get so pissed off and bent out of shape when I didn't get a beer and then I see someone post up that they bought a case+ of said beer. But, I've learned that I'm not always going to be able to try everything. I've made peace with the fact that I will miss out on many special releases.

Now, I'm just waiting to try it WBDPP on tap.

mattchow and UHCougar12 like this.
  13. hughthenation

hughthenation Disciple (65) Texas Aug 31, 2010

Check the flag store at 45th & Duval in Austin

14. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

For those of you still looking for this, Twin Liquors on 620 and 2222 have a full unopened case on the floor next to the cooler. I talked to the guy at Specs and he was telling me that a woman came in and bought 2 bottles, came back the next day and returned one. Odd...

Anyway, I was just there 15min ago.

15. rdooley

rdooley Savant (365) Texas Feb 7, 2013

Been lurking here for awhile, figured I would contribute. I've had this on tap in ATX so far at Hopfields and Cover 2 in NW Austin. Although C2 served it in a frozen pint glass!? The Chicago House downtown has a cask of it.

As for bottles, I would check Hamrick's in Cedar Park if you're still looking. They had 4 cases last week, and never published it. Be prepared to drop $25 there though.

On a side note, I also had Abyss on tap at Billy's on Burnet the other day, for anyone looking to quench that craving. Cheers!

16. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

Where can I find it on Tap in Houston these days?

17. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Gingerman, Flying Saucer both have it now (see posts above). I am sure Merchant, Petrol, Rudz, Cottonwood, Liberty Station, Down House will all have it eventually, if not already.

18. HoustonZ33

I know Petrol had it but, Real Life has been kicking my ass as of late (wedding planing)

19. Lutter

You too ? Lol.

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  20. mattchow

I really wish we could have our locations be a bit more precise than just Texas to help each other out.

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  21. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

I agree. It was nice to be able to click on someones name and find out where they were at. But, as I've spent time on here I've pretty much learned most peoples locations.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  22. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (500) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Or at least have the option to manually enter the city.

23. Lutter

This is what happens when people from little states use that same thinking for the rest of the country.

24. bccocx

bccocx Champion (775) Texas Jan 13, 2007

I wouldn't mind Texas seceding from the SW forums and being it's own forum. After all, we are bigger and have more people than most of the other regions.

Phil_S, blatherbeard, FUNKPhD and 6 others like this.
  25. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Not too long ago we had that. Hoorah for deprovement!

26. kmello69

According to the bros, it will be coming back "in the upcoming improvements"

FUNKPhD, HoustonZ33 and starkmarvelo like this.
  27. lsiberian

lsiberian Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 11, 2013

My brother and I tried this on tap at Jack Allan's on Saturday and it was an excellent beer. I can definitely see why people are going out of their way to try this. Unfortunately I couldn't review the pour since it came off the tap with very little head.

28. kmello69

Which Jack Allen? The one in Round Rock always has the regular (512) Pecan Porter on tap, but if they now have the Whiskey BA, I might just need to take a little trip over there. :)

29. mrkmrk

[​IMG]

Flag Store. 4.

30. yes went here expecting a typical 3 dollar mark up (everywhere else was 17 so expected 20 or 22) but was absolutely floored when my 2 bottles came out to 55 dollars with tax. he's a nice guy but damn that's gouging

31. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

wow that's worse than the flag store...

mrkmrk and kmello69 like this.
  32. TexasStout

TexasStout Savant (280) Texas Jun 22, 2007

Maybe.;) Actually had two glasses of the WBAPP tonight at the SL Saucer, but do want a bottle to share with friends.

33. Wyatte

Wyatte Zealot (85) Texas Aug 24, 2012

I got two bottles for $35, that's just... sorry, man. :eek:

34. HoustonZ33

I miss the days of $12 Bombers.

icetrauma likes this.
  35. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

So damn true. When I first got into craft beer, Chimay was $8.50 a 750ml.

36. HoustonZ33

37. Lutter

I paid $30.28 for 2 bottles with tax. *win*

38. Got one at South Lamar W&S today. Brings my total up to two. Not trying that hard. Glad I got out of the hoard/trading game when I did. The stress is too damn high.

39. mattchow

hoarding is stressful? you were doing it wrong lol.

Cablejelly and HoustonZ33 like this.
  40. Lutter

By the way... WTF is the Flag Store and do they, in fact, sell flags? Flags and beer sounds like a total party waiting to happen.

Phil_S and Cablejelly like this.