1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter (2013)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Lutter, Jan 25, 2013.

1. PhatAtUT

PhatAtUT Savant (475) Texas Jul 31, 2009

[​IMG]
    mrkmrk likes this.
  2. rdooley

rdooley Savant (335) Texas Feb 7, 2013

Agreed. I buy a lot of stuff here, and it's usually reasonable, but the mark up on these were a little rediculous.
  3. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

45th and Duval...great selection but always a huge mark up. It's called the "flag store" because the front awning is lined with different national flags. The actual name is Hyde Park Market...to give you a point of reference...when Weasel Rodeo was released I was in there and saw a bottle. I checked the price tag...$20.95!?! I laughed out loud and left....
  4. mrkmrk

mrkmrk Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 25, 2011

It's a convenience store on 45th and Duval in Austin. They do indeed sell flags, and there are flags hanging over the side of their roof and flying above the gas pumps. Really really good selection, even if things are a bit overpriced. A great place to check if you're looking for something that you can't find anywhere else, usually. I think that the WBADPPs are going for $22 there, which isn't great, but.
    . well, if you're still looking for it now, you're probably willing to pay.

And yeah, party indeed. That place is so densely packed that a party would probably cause a mean amount of damage, though...
  5. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Wilco Tango Foxtrot is a beer. The Flag Store is a beer store in Austin.
    mrkmrk and tx_beer_man like this.
  6. The Flag store is where Sheldon Cooper buys his beer.
    Phil_S, mattisloco and fragilehearted like this.
  7. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Anybody know where this is on tap in Houston right now?
  8. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I was looking for just regular Pecan Porter, and couldn't find any of either, and all I've heard was Gingerman. I was going to stop by since I was in the area, but passed.
  9. DanzBorin

Last year Little Woodrow's had it.

I can't find any info if they do or not. :(
  10. FUNKPhD

Hay Merchant had it on pretty quick last year, then I hit up Rudz for a while afterwards.
  11. DanzBorin

I'll be by Rudz. Maybe I'll check them out.

I wish they hadn't messed up taplister. Was really nice when it worked and people used it.
  12. FUNKPhD

When I was there Monday, they weren't sure when they were getting it/it was going on.

Also, I recommend the chili dog with fried egg.
  13. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

As has been said several times already. On tap now at the Flying Saucer and Gingerman.;) Hay Merchant will tap it this Sunday. I think it has already come and gone at Petrol. I am sure Rudz will have it eventually, though don't know when? Liberty Station always gets some, and I would assume Cottonwood.

Edit, just checked the Saucers website, looks like it is gone there. I know Gman still has it.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  14. DanzBorin

G-man is quite a haul for where I'll be. I'll check a couple places near Rudz.

Liberty uses beer menus and doesn't have it listed.
  15. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

I am not sure how accurate those menus are, again like Rudz they will get some. Just not sure when.
  16. Phil_S

Phil_S Aficionado (180) Texas Feb 14, 2013

ISO: Your Favorite Flag.
    FT: My Favorite Flag.

BYOFlag.
  17. DanzBorin

Depends on the place. Liberty keeps theirs up to date.
  18. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Pretty funny, i googled hyde park market and found nothing, but when zooming in on duval and 45th, it does indeed say-The Flag Store of Hyde Park. Ive been up and down 45 and duval and never even noticed this place lol

OH and on topic--Drank a bottle, it was incredible. Opal Divines Davenport as of 2 days ago had it on tap. I was working so i "didnt have any" and it was much boozier on tap......
  19. acbe

acbe Savant (295) Texas Jul 23, 2011

Your mind is going to be blown when you see the selection.
  20. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

The fiancee and I had a bottle last night and I was really disappointed. The beer was not carbonated at all, which to me, detracted from the overall experience. The flavor was great and was on par from previous vintages, but the lack of carbonation made the beer feel thin. Not a great experience.

After reading the label, it says "100% refermented in the bottle", so I hope this is just a fluke.
  21. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I haven't opened any of my bottles yet, but I did have it on tap and it was delicious!
    Ford likes this.

22. I also opened one last night and it had great carbonation. Tasted amazing as well.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  23. mattchow

mattchow Savant (370) Texas Jun 24, 2012

+1 loved this years version.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  24. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

That's rough! I had one last weekend and it was carbonated very well. MMMMM
  25. SBoyar1

SBoyar1 Aficionado (200) Texas Nov 14, 2012

The few I have had on tap and out of the bottle have been delicious...I am a huge Makers fan though so am Slighty biased. I think this is definitely one of the top Double Pecan releases yet....
  26. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Aficionado (220) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Does anyone know where I can find this on tap in ATX right now?
  27. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I refer you to post 778 above.

and i was told it had been on tap at Hopfields, no idea if its still there.
  28. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Savant (395) Texas Jul 26, 2012

Just called Ginger Man Dallas, and they said they still have it on tap for $6/half pint
    ExperimentalAles likes this.
  29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

The Growler Room in ATX (on Burnet Rd) just got 1 case today. Picked up 1 there. It was 18 and change.

Nice guys, btw... got a 32oz fill of (512) Cascabel Cream Stout for like $6.75 while I was there.
  30. mrkmrk

It was there as of yesterday, at least.
  31. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

Does anyone in houston have an extra one? Looking to do an IP trade or something. Already drank mine, want another to send back ti my bro in law in philly who is having a baby.
  32. frognot

frognot Aficionado (210) Texas May 20, 2009

Hyde Park Market (sells all kinds of flags . . . and beer, etc)

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18422
  33. mrkmrk

What do you mean by IP trade? I might be able to supply you, but I think that I'd be a hard sell :\.
  34. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Yeah, I know Hyde Park Market... just never heard it referred to as "the flag store". I went in there once, laughed at the prices, and haven't stepped in since.
  35. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

IP = In Person, just FYI
  36. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

They are refering to Hyde park market which does indeed have alot of flags
  37. mrkmrk

Oh, thanks! I figured it was some sort of lingo I was missing, but google was just alllllll up on the intellectual property thing, so I didn't find any answers there. I'll send a BM :).
  38. DanzBorin

Okay, we all get what the flag store is. lol
    DonD and mrkmrk like this.
  39. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

There's a flag store??? Wtf???
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  40. a friend opened a 2012 and a 2013 bottle last night...
    i prefer the 2012 but the 2013 was still goo and the vanilla was more pronounced