1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter (2013)

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Lutter, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Traded for 2 bottles for last years release. Both over carbonated drain pours. Traders beware....
  2. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Challenge accepted.
    ShameAndFailure and BruceBruce like this.
  3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

LOL. You Houston peeps should know better than to challenge Azzy. He's the beer ninja of Harris County.
  4. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Savant (370) Texas Nov 7, 2011

I would like to think that if (512) knew they messed and admitted they messed up last year, they would go through extra efforts this year as to not duplicate the same problem.
  5. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Yeah if he was the real ninja nobody would know who he was
  6. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Yeah, the bottle with age on it was better than on draft.
  7. ext1rpate

ext1rpate Aficionado (220) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Sad to say that the only time I've had this beer the bottle was an infected foamy mess, super light on the body. Hope this year this beer fares better.
  8. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

Again none of my bottles were a mess but opening last one today at stout tasting so there is always a chance this one will blow lol
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  9. Speaking of which.....

[​IMG]
  10. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (315) Texas Oct 21, 2008

My two bottles from the 2012 release were both foamy. Both were stored cold from the day I purchased them. Neither tasted close to the draft release.

All that said, I think the Cascabel Cream Stout is by far my favorite of 512's beers.
  11. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Man every time Cascabel Cream is pouring I miss it...was supposed to go to the Draughthouse last Sunday but had a work thing pop up so couldn't make it. Guess what was pouring...? I love Double Pecan if it's not a foamy mess...last year I had it on draft and it was amazing. Maybe one day I'll be able to catch up to Cascabel Cream and try it...until then I don't have a comparison.
    ThirdEyePA likes this.
  12. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Rudz had last year's release for MONTHS on tap. I couldn't believe how easy it was to get.
  13. ThirdEyePA

If I can catch it at Dancing Bear again, I'll try and fill a half growler for you.
  14. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

My first long pour of this is a two day old keg ('10) and damn I'm longing for this foaming action but its still a very nice still (HAHA..my favorite brewer term for flat) beer. Chiming in as much to confirm any cases to DFW as to have so fun watching you Austin folk sucker punch children and hire homeless mules.
  15. mattchow

mattchow Savant (370) Texas Jun 24, 2012

me and my 32 bottles of bba hellfighter would like to challenge that lol.
  16. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Damn dude Thats a load, and guys I'm getting back into lifting heavy so cutting a lot on beer. No need to be worried about the beer ninja in Harris Country. Carbs are the true enemy here lol
  17. TapThat

TapThat Aficionado (140) Oregon Nov 8, 2012

After we finish our last keg of 512 Bruin we will be putting some cascabel on. I'll give you a heads up once its tapped
  18. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

Had it on tap last year and managed to score a bottle for the cellar. Still holding on to it for a special occasion. In case anyone cares it seemed like this reached Houston and Dallas--but not San Antonio. Hopefully this year that will change!
  19. Got 5 bottles of this in October last year.

Pretty good stuff, split a bottle with my dad, traded one, sent one to a regular trading buddy. Keeping the last one.
  20. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Carbs are not the devil if done right. Just sub a couple of good beers for carbs while kicking it outside with the grill. Steak + grill + good beer = good job. That's even good on a cut if done right.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  21. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Any news on this? I remember early in the thread someone spoke as to the release being in early March. I'm aging a 2012 bottle for my college graduation....And I haven't decided if I will drink it all or share. ;)
  22. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (680) Texas Jan 13, 2007

I talked to someone from 512 a week ago and they said it needed a little longer before it can be sent out into the wild. Apparently it does taste quite good straight from the brite tank, though!
    Clonies720 likes this.
  23. ehsteve

ehsteve Aficionado (225) Texas Jan 13, 2009

Last time I got a bottle, it was from the Twin at Hancock Center.
  24. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Popped my 2012 on super bowl, and it was a lil funky and alot of foamy
  25. Lutter

Ones I can remember from last year...
    Whip In
    South Lamar Wine & Spirits
    Specs Brodie
    Sunrise
    Dig Pub (round rock)
  26. Clonies720

I've seen those posts about it being funky. Clearly I'll need a backup beer to pop.
  27. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Mine was also stored at 40 degrees the entire year. But hopefully, it satisfies your pallet. I'm not a funk guy, so I was completely turned off from it.
  28. Clonies720

I'm a huge fan of funk and sour, so even if it's not how I imagined, I could still like it.
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  29. Clonies720

On an unrelated note: I'm drinking a Widmer barrel-aged Brrrbon 2012. Delicious, well-rounded brew.
  30. lokieman

See they bumped up the ABV a bit this year...hopefully they nail the bottling this year. Last year was disappointing to say the least...
    ThirdEyePA likes this.
  31. ThirdEyePA

I'm getting antsy for this one. I'm hoping to get a growler of this somewhere so I can keep bottle opening to a minimum. What do the bottles typically retail for?
  32. Clonies720

Think I paid ~$18 for mine @ D&Q beer station on richmond.
    ThirdEyePA likes this.
  33. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (255) Texas Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, it's quite depressing. I can't even bring myself to trade the rest of my bottles. I'll drink it but I was really hoping for better.
  34. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (335) Texas Jan 20, 2010

yeah I don't live in Houston
  35. BrutalSusan

BrutalSusan Aficionado (205) Texas Dec 13, 2011

i didnt think this was hard to find at all. i ended up with 6 bottles. even found places fully stocked with no limits. im glad i drank 3 fresh though. i still have one bottle and unfortunately for two people, traded two bottles. i wonder if (512) would exchange a bottle of last years for a 2013 ...
  36. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (325) Texas Sep 10, 2012

I look forward to this one, Hellfighter showed me that I rather like a good BBA Imperial Porter, The pecan part sounds like a bonus.

Any word on when?
  37. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

It was/is kind of hard to find in Houston in bottles. Though lots of places will have it on tap around town. It will not be hard to find at all if you can make it out every once in a while when it is finally released this year.
  38. Lutter

For the record, I had my last 2012 about a month ago and it was still great. Must've gotten lucky.
  39. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Savant (330) Texas Dec 18, 2011

I had mentioned March earlier in the thread... this is what I was told during my brew tour in mid January (things certainly could have changed since then, though).

My Double Pecan Porter story from last year to the pass the time until release:
    Managed to snag a bottle last year from the 4 Points Twin Liquors. I had just recently become a BA, so I didn't really know what I had gotten myself into. A few weeks later I managed to try it on draft... now I knew what I had gotten myself into. Decided to hold on to the bottle for a special occasion. Finally, decided on the A&M v. Florida game in September. I'm a huge A&M football fan and it was the first SEC game, etc., etc. Well... A&M ended up losing the game, so I wasn't really in the mood to open it as a celebratory beer. In my misery I left it in my dad's ice chest and totally forgot about it. I get a call on Wednesday and my dad explains to me that my beer has gone to a better place. Turns out it had rolled around in the ice chest for a few days. When my dad realized it was in there he took it out and attempted to place on the concrete of our garage. He told me the instant it hit the concrete beer and glass flew everywhere. It was kinda like a fireworks display, but with beer and glass. The best part of the whole story was when my dad told me to just pick up another one and he would pay me back. uhh... dad...

I kinda wish I was there to see it... I might have attempted to siphon some off the concrete.
  40. lokieman

It exploded because it was HIGHLY carbonated...just like every other bottle from last year's release