1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

515 Brewing - Des Moines, IA

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Jan 26, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

2. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (215) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

Saw their webpage via Iowa Craft Beer Tent and agree the beer list looks awesome. I need to get more involved in the actual DSM breweries vs. what I can get on tap at El Bait.
  3. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Interesting. I hadn't heard anything about them. Quite an ambitious beer list for someone just getting started. Will have to try to check them out when they open.
  4. BottleCaps80

5. Rob-P

Rob-P Aficionado (125) Iowa Feb 29, 2012

6. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (280) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Looks like a good list. Hopefully they have some sessionable stuff so I can visit often.
  7. BottleCaps80

From what I've heard, to start out, they are planning on having 3 taps and will be constantly rotating with new beers (weekly or as each keg runs out, replaced with something new).
    jlpred55 likes this.
  8. 515BrewingDave

515BrewingDave Zealot (80) Iowa Feb 2, 2013

Hey guys! Dave with 515 Brewing here. Excited to have you swing in when we get the doors open in a couple of weeks! We're probably going to open with 4 or 5 taps of ours, eventually getting to 8 or so, and plan on rotating heavily (as in there will likely be a new beer about once every week or two). The website list is an example of what we're planning on brewing at some point during the next year or so, but we won't likely have all of those on tap when we open. We're starting off slow, and hope to try some of the more adventurous stuff when we get a good handle on the system. So far, I think our biggest beer is only around 7% (and that's just one), so it's mostly very session-able.

It's a little different concept than the traditional production brewery/brewpub that we have mostly grown up with around Iowa. The goal is to change it up frequently, but always keep it fresh, delicious and (hopefully!) unique. Being small means that we won't be doing "mainstream" styles nearly as much as some of the bigger guys around town (bigger being a relative term, of course), though we'll have the occasional more-mainstream beer or two (we're doing a Kolsch this weekend). We will probably have a guest tap or two to fill in what we don't make (for instance, since we don't have jacketed fermenters, we probably won't be doing much by way of lagers, so we'll probably source that from another Iowa brewery).

We love EBS - I mean, who doesn't? It's amazing!! Full Court Press has, IMO, the best bars in town - but we also want to be a place where you can meet and talk to the brewers and be around the place where the beer is actually brewed.

Looking forward to beer nerding out with you guys in a few weeks! In the meantime, support your local breweries and the brewers that make our community amazing!
    Guzzi, tgchief, JediMatt and 2 others like this.
  9. BottleCaps80

Can't wait to check out your taproom, Dave! Really psyched to see a nanobrewery with a diverse lineup like on your website in DSM. Glad to see you in the BA forums too and looking forward to drinking some of you guys' beers!
    515BrewingDave and Rob-P like this.
  10. Hawkharvs

Echo what Bottle caps wrote...love supporting a good local product. Let us know when the taproom is open...have beer, will travel!
    515BrewingDave and Rob-P like this.
  11. 515BrewingDave

Looking forward to having you guys! Any questions, feel free to ask. We're a couple of weeks out, but will be sure to pop in here and update you when the doors are open!
    BottleCaps80 and Hawkharvs like this.
  12. Rob-P

Will growlers be available?
  13. tgchief

tgchief Savant (305) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

Good luck Dave! Looking forward to coming down and having your beers!

Clark
    515BrewingDave likes this.
  14. BottleCaps80

Pic from Facebook...

[​IMG]
    515BrewingDave likes this.
  15. 515BrewingDave

We are planning on it, but probably not right at opening. We're looking at maybe doing 32oz growlers instead of (or maybe in addition to) half gallons just so you can take home a little more variety. What do you guys think?

Thanks Clark! Love your guys' beer! Keep doing what you're doing!

-edited because I'm a grammar nazi
    je1129 and tgchief like this.
  16. Hawkharvs

515....love the idea of 32oz growlers, much easier to drink and not worry about wasting beer from going flat.
  17. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (280) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Yes! 32 oz growlers are my preferred choice.
  18. Rob-P

I went to a soft opening for 515 last night and it was a lot of fun. Their OJ IPA is VERY good and I can't wait to get back for another one (hopefully tonight)! I think they are going to have limited hours on Fridays and Saturday's for the next month or so with a grand opening towards the end of March. I'd recommend getting in there to check it out and support them.

They also had a low ABV sour on, a spiced brown ale that tasted like Christmas, and two confluence guest taps.
  19. BottleCaps80

They are having another soft opening tonight from 4:00-11:00.

The wheat IPA that has been late hopped with Citra and Simcone sounds killer! The sour/light wheat sounds great too. Gonna try and make it tonight. Stoked to try all their beers!
  20. 515BrewingDave

Was just coming here to spread the word but Rob-P and BottleCaps80 beat me to the punch! Swing on out and try a beer or two (or three). It might be a little busy, and we're still getting the hang of running a taproom, so bear with us. Hope you enjoy our beer!
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  21. Hawkharvs

Open to anyone?
  22. 515BrewingDave

Absolutely!

Qualifier - Must like craft beer, or at least must like being around people that like craft beer!
    Rob-P and BottleCaps80 like this.
  23. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Savant (305) Iowa Feb 22, 2013

Went to 515 and had their Nut Brown and their West Coast IPA. Both good beers. Really liked the West Coast IPA. Really good crowd in there last night - need more parking!
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  24. CLaBarre

Dave, any idea when the imperial stout, belgian pale, and koslch may be ready?
  25. 515BrewingDave

Stout is probably this week. We are doing it on nitro (well beer gas anyway) and its our first beer on that so we don't know what to expect for sure. It's in kegs though! Kolsch will be ready to serve in the next week or so as well. Just gotta get room in kegs for that one. Belgian....whatever it is ( it's somewhere between a pale and a golden - never brew to style!!!!!) will probably be a couple of weeks out. Really excited about that one. Grains of paradise are prominent and it really tastes unique. Just did an American IPA (kinda) with a different malt bill from the west coast with a ton of late addition and flameout hops including citra and simcoe. Should end up well north of 7% with the hops to back it up. Really excited about that too.

I'm pretty excited about our upcoming lineup. I think we're improving as we go and hopefully will be making some great beer in the next few months!
  26. BottleCaps80

Rob-P likes this.
  27. I visited Des Moines (from DC) over the weekend and got to stop into 515 on Friday afternoon briefly. Only had time to try the Lil Tart, but it was solid. Looking forward to watching them grow.
  28. BottleCaps80

The time I went (2 weekends ago), they only had their Lil Tart (fantastic beer...would be so great after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day), Belgian Paradise (really solid Belgian Blonde) and Stout of the Closet (an average stout).

Still haven't gotten the chance to try any of their IPAs though, which I hear are fantastic though. This spot will be a regular when I get the chance to get out on the town this Spring/Summer!
  29. printer1

printer1 Aficionado (235) Iowa Aug 29, 2005

Wanted to make this, but couldn't. Looking at the pics, probably just as well. Really want to get there before the Lil Tart is gone.
  30. 515BrewingDave

Hopititis - our DIPA is on now. Hurry and get it while it lasts. It's pretty decent!

Thanks for your support everyone!
  31. DesMoinesMike

DesMoinesMike Savant (435) Iowa Mar 23, 2008

Had the Hopititis the day it premiered, GOOD stuff. Will post review shortly.
  32. BottleCaps80

Stopped in after work last night and had a few beers. I highly suggest everyone who can make it in soon, try the Castaway Porter. It is an amazing coconut vanilla porter. Their DART Dodger west coast style IPA is great too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BrettHead and tgchief like this.
  33. CLaBarre

Are they doing growlers yet
  34. BottleCaps80

Not yet.... sounded like they were thinking around Fall for growler fills. I think they want to get a few more fermentation tasks in to be able to produce a bit more beer before growler fills, as they have been times when they have ran out of beer at the taproom. People keep drinking them out.... which is a testament to how good their beers are, but also that they are a true nano brewery.
  35. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Yep, had some great beers there Friday night. Lil Tart is awesome. I was hoping for a little more coconut (a la Town Hall) for the Castaway Porter, but it was still super tasty. Great stuff!