1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

$90 BA Alesmith Speedway Stout...?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by lokieman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I recently was offered a BA Speedway Stout but the price tag was $90. I didn't pull the trigger but was wondering what these bottles went for retail. We don't get Alesmith distro where I'm at and this offer was made online. I didn't think this was that limited or rare...for comparison the same website has a King Henry for the same price. Any info would be appreciated...
  2. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (325) California Nov 29, 2012 Verified

less than $30 during release. 4 bottle max...in person (no proxies) pickup. Hope this helps.
  3. lokieman

That does help a lot...thought $90 was really high. Thanks...appreciate the info
  4. Shoo65

Shoo65 Savant (315) Indiana Oct 23, 2011 Verified

What website?
    MasterCraft likes this.
  5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,440) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

They are like $27 plus a service fee per bottle when they are released, so probably close to $30 like already stated.
  6. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (725) Indiana Nov 29, 2007 Verified

Was this website ebay? I didn't know they were selling beer again.
  7. I'm also curious about the site. You can BM if you'd rather
  8. It was $28.94 a bottle, and roughly a 2700 bottle release
    claaark13 likes this.
  9. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I'd say it's limited and rare considering you have around 10 - 20 minutes each year to buy any from 1 place, in person. King Henry is still on the shelf in Kentucky.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013

Since when is King Henry limited or rare?
    ehammond1 and Levitation like this.
  11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

yamar68 likes this.
  12. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

King henry is on the shelf in kentucky? lol
  13. evilc

as well as Rare I hear!
    podunkparte and davey101 like this.
  14. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

get after it boys, chug em
  15. nanobrew

nanobrew Advocate (645) California Dec 31, 2008

Couple of different things

a) $90 is about 3x times the price at release
    b) BA Speedway is limited (2700 bottles), KH was not (12K bottles IIRC). However, that means nothing in terms of demand and "rarity"
    c) BA Speedway was sold online, sold out fairly quickly, 4 bottle limit and no proxies allowed

You can always trade for BA Speedway, but it depends on what you have to offer (a $30 limited release could get it done where as $90 of shelf beers might not). It isn't impossible to get, but will take something with a similar pedigree and release situation.
  16. lokieman

Thanks for the info...man I didn't realize KH was that big of a release. Probably just going to order the non ba Speedway and see if I really want to trade for the BA version. No way I'm paying $90 for the bottle...
  17. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Sooooo.... Bev4Less?
    pmarlowe, Potemkin and Levitation like this.
  18. tobelerone

tobelerone Champion (985) New Jersey Dec 1, 2010 Verified

I see you're in Austin...someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think a few Jester King limited releases could get it done.
  19. lokieman

I've never put out an ISO for a ba speedway but I do have a trade for a non ba version in the works. I'd like to get a hold of a ba speedway eventually but feel I should try the base beer first...from everything I've heard though I'm pretty sure it's not going to suck. I'm sure some Jester King stuff will be involved if I can track down a deal for the barrel version...
  20. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Just reading through this, it sounds like the OP is still learning the ins and outs of which beers are brewery releases/shelf/limited. Don't take this as an insult or anything, it takes time to figure out what's going on in other parts of the country in terms of beer releases and what people think they're worth.

Basically regular Speedway and BA speedway may as well be completely different beers (I know, they are) in the trading world. The regular Speedway is available it various places across the country on the shelf for about $12, all the time. It's an outstanding beer and I suggest you get a few so you can age a couple after you try a fresh one. BA Speedway however is only released at the brewery and sells out pretty much immediately. This makes it WAY more valuable when it comes to trading. Would I say it's worth $90 this far after the release, from the comfort of your home? Probably not, but I wouldn't say it's that far off. What would it take for you to find a similarly rated limited release beer, including the gas and time spent as opposed to just spending the money and getting the beer?
    lokieman and Smurf2055 like this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Champion (855) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008 Verified

freddie charges $18 a bottle for KBS. If he had a BA Alesmith it would be $150.00.
    evilc and domtronzero like this.
  22. lokieman

I admit I had no idea it was a brewery only release until it was revealed to me in this thread. 2700 bottles is limited but no more limited than most of the JK releases (generally 200 cases is what they put out for most of their releases at this point). I realize BA Speedway has a lot more publicity and more of a market so not on the same level as far as demand goes. I think the fact that it is brewery only is what drives the cost up. Although the JK stuff is limited around here it's also sold at liquor stores and bottle shops around the city and state (it's illegal to sell from the brewery direct to the public in TX). The price is $90 because there are people out there who will ultimately pay that much. This is my first real inquiry in to Alesmith stuff and know that there other stuff is affordable and usually shelf beers...had no idea that the BA Speedway was such an event...which ultimately is the answer I was looking for when I was quoted $90 for the bottle. Thanks for all the info...
  23. evilc

He's the only who gets it. Peter Z doesn't even have any.
  24. APreacher

APreacher Savant (330) California Jun 6, 2012 Verified

I am in same boat when it comes to production/released quantities. I generally look at ratings or availability before I look at production size. However you really can't compare BASS or any of the limited releases from AS to TX beers.No disrespect towards Texans, but we has mad people Y0!! LA, Orange and SD counties probably has 15 million people, which makes those 2700 bottles look petite. I guess I will cuddle mine tighter tonight knowing this.
    What drives most of the great beers in so-cal is the volume of people iso...There are just TOO MANY craft beer drinkers in CA!I guess you could call that publicity/market.
    I was traveling thru Austin over the holidays and tracked down some JK..I was fortunate & suprised to find a small store (off 6th) that had plenty of JK on the shelves (funk,buddha,wunder).
    I was also able to get Ranger Creek b3 and Karbach Fra-Gee-Lay without going to breweries or using BPT. By no means am I comparing those to BASS, nor disrespect towards Texans... but those beers wouldn't last a week in CA.