1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

94' Sam Adams Triple Bock?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by coocookuhchoo, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Found one of these laying around and I'll be opening it later today. Any idea of how it should taste? I'm expecting the worst.

2. It will put hair on your chest

3. Beer bong it

4. Like soy sauce if memory serves me correctly. It's been seven years since I last sampled a Sam Adams Triple Bock.

5. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

It should be good...honestly.

2beerdogs likes this.
  6. If it is like the '95 I had, it will smell great but have an unpleasant oxidized character in the flavour.

7. MystikCelt

MystikCelt Savant (305) New York Jun 11, 2011

If you go into it expecting it to taste completely... other, than any expectation you might have, it's actually amazing, if you can get past the first sip.

Literally, after the first sip, I put it down, and thought to myself, "well, that just... sucked."

Then I gave myself a few moments to collect my thoughts and realize I went into it with certain expectations, which were definitely not met. However, I was able to convince myself to give it another sip, and just, well, experience it, I suppose. Like some sort of tantric beer experience heh.

Going into the second sip like that, I was able to process it on its own, for what it was rather than what I expected, and it was much more... interesting, I suppose.

However, as it's a very slow sipper, it grew on me as it warmed up over the course of an hour or so, and by the end, I was sold on the fact that it was an amazing beer experience, and was glad I had another 3 bottles for the future ;)

Cheers

jl28r1, bluejacket74 and luwak like this.
  8. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

You'll want to split that with 2 friends just getting a few ounces, and you'll want to be drinking another beer with it, just taking little hits off the triple bock as you go...

9. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

I couldn't believe how good it was when I tried one early this year. Reminded me of a sherry, similar to a PX, if you are familiar...

afrokaze likes this.
  10. I opened one about a month ago and I was pleasantly surprised. Its quite complex and different. I'm a believer that your enjoyment of this brew will be in direct correlation to how well your bottle has been stored all these years. Lets us know how it went!

11. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Off topic, but you deserve a "like" for that avatar!

12. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

tasted this a few weeks ago. was surprisingly not as awful as i expected, but don't expect great things.

13. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

anxious to hear how it is.
    i have one left too.

14. It tasted bad in 1994,no reason to think it will taste better 18 years later.

15. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (530) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

16. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (665) New York Aug 17, 2008

I bought two in 94, drank one, it was horrible. The other one
    is sitting on my shelf. Best part of that brew was the bottle.

17. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

Bought a case in 94, Would drink one every 6-9 months. Interesting how it changed over time. Had my last one summer of 2011. Never became a fan though. As said above, the best part was the bottle.

Casedogg43 and Docrock like this.
  18. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I may make some Triple Bock Steak burger with mine.
    Will all depend on the first sip!

19. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (340) Michigan May 30, 2010

Dont remember the year but, the bottle I had was better fit for stir fry than drinking.

20. JCB

JCB Aficionado (125) North Carolina May 22, 2006

Hmm, reminds me to double-check to see if I still have that last bottle in the cellar. Sherry and soy sauce, baby!

21. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Have you ever tried Dogfish Head's sublime "World Wide Stout"? Well, imagine that wondrous WWS cut with heavy notes of this, plus a few, fleeting, maple (or molasses or caramelized brown sugar) notes. At best it's a bit like drinking a vintage Sherry, but to many folks Triple Bock is definitely not a taste or texture that works for them. Personally, I've enjoyed it every time I've had it, but I have a pretty ******-** palate! ;)

22. If it's anything like the 1997 vintage, be prepared to hate yourself.

BrettHead likes this.
  23. You beat me to it. I saw the thread title and a smile washed across my face. Just classic.........

24. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Opened a '95 at a small tasting a few weeks ago. It was horrific. People throw the "soy sauce" descriptor around way too much, this beer was soy sauce and I wish people that called other beers out for tasting like soy sauce would try a triple bock.

One of the worst beer experiences I've ever had.

25. j47paco

j47paco Savant (360) California Dec 19, 2010

2beerdogs and Reagan1984 like this.
  26. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

Had a vintage of this a few years ago and I after having a fresh bottle the taste was surprisingly different. Fresh Triple Bock to me was undrinkable... Some how and some way over time this beer does change and the older it is the easier it gets to drink. I'd have to say enjoy it, hopefully you'll like it.

27. 2beerdogs and j47paco like this.
  28. Drank one a couple months ago be prepared for the worst but hope for the best. I will say let it breathe and once you get used to the taste you will feel the warmness take over your body and no it wont be death

29. I was just passed down a bottle for Christmas :( Now I'm scared lol

30. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

Just curious, how does one tell what vintage their bottle is from?On the back of my bottle it has a 96a 3497

I bought 1 years ago, and tried it within the first few weeks of purchase, and it was very unique to say the least....especially to a very, very young new beer drinker. Still have my bottle since I thought it was pretty neat looking.

Also, for some reason Iowa had this, when I guess they weren't supposed to?

31. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

From the reviews I've read it sounds terrible. I'd still have to try it if given the opportunity though.

Casedogg43 likes this.
  32. Hanzo

Mine had a tag around the neck that said the vintage.

33. Would it cost much in the way of trade ammo to land a SA Triple Bock (don't care about what vintage)? One of my friends is going to crack a Tactical Nuclear Penguin at a tasting and I'd like to grab one of these for it.

34. No, people practically give them away.

94 is the best, so they say, I've only ever been cursed with the 97.

Which looks and tastes like an ink pen exploded in a bowl of clam chowder.

libbey, paulys55, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
  35. Hanzo

I take it you were on Santa's naughty list?

36. I didn't think so but apparently I thought wrong. Luckily I was in Vermont over the weekend and got to be Santa for myself.

37. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (335) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

Where is there triple bock in VT?

38. They don't that I am aware of, I meant that I got to go get some great beers for myself at HF, Alechemist and Lawson's . Sorry for misleading you on that.

39. I would have a strainer handy.

40. Update:

Sweet, syrupy soy sauce. I was the only one to finish my ~ 3 oz portion

libbey likes this.